• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop the persecution and genocide of arachnids.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Why do you think animal cruelty laws don't apply to arachnids? For all we know, they might have many of the same feelings that cats and dogs have. Their webs and tunnels can be beautiful enough that they could qualify as artwork sometimes.

These creatures are very good for the world. They also can sense heat or cold, demonstrate whether they are happy or sad, and show all the signs of having fear, being joyful, getting excited, having curiosity, and feelings with their body language.

(another good thing about them, is their bodily wastes do not put off any unpleasant odor like other pets).

We probably don't think of spiders as having as many feelings as a cat or a dog, or being close to as intelligent, but even if they were just as intelligent, and had the same thoughts, it's not like we would know.

Having owned an extremely large amount of arachnids, I've even discovered that you can tame the most dangerous and aggressive ones that they sell.

They do seem to have a memory and when held on a daily basis they start being far more okay with that then when you first purchase them. (When mistreated though, they also can show signs of being traumatized or having PTSD.)

The aggressive baboon tarantula can be terrifyed, run extremely fast, stand on their hind legs and lunge, and be defensive the first time you hold them. Yet through exposure and gentleness, can reach a point where you can massage their abdomen and chest or pet them, and they don't get upset or bite or try to get away. They seem to actually appreciate the affection.

I just don't get why so many people hate an animal that is so good for our planet and a natural insecticide that doesn't cause cancer like so many other insecticides.

These are very good gentle creatures on average who are despised and mass-murdered because of the way they look. Every time you kill a spider, you caused a lot more unwanted pests to exist and reproduce.

STOP THIS MADNESS! :mad:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Killing a creature that is good for mankind because it looks ugly (or scary) to you is toxic bigotry! :mad:

Unless your motive for killing them is food.

spirit_of_dawn

I respect your perspective, however this is most of us when we see spiders:

giphy.gif

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I respect your perspective, however this is most of us when we see spiders:

giphy.gif
Don't judge by appearances. I used to think that way when I saw spiders until I started holding them then fell in love with em.

They were my second greatest fear. By facing my fear I fell in love with it.

Just because you find them frightening or gross, doesn't mean you should kill one for making a web outside your window or something.

don't go outside and kill them when they aren't harming anyone and in fact are benefiting Society.

You can take it a step further and not kill them when they come into your house. Put them in a jar and then release them.

You can make a difference! ;)

spirit_of_dawn

Don't judge by appearances. I used to think that way when I saw spiders until I started holding them then fell in love with em.

Just because you find them frightening or gross, doesn't mean you should kill one for making a web outside your window or something.

don't go outside and kill them when they aren't harming anyone and in fact are benefiting Society.

You can take it a step further and not kill them when they come into your house. Put them in a jar and then release them.

Actually I always release the insects that come into my house, including spiders. :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If I can save the life of one spider by my posts, that is the greatest thing I've ever done at RF imo

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Spiders actually keep me sober. I tell myself, that money you spend on x,y, or z, could be spent on that flame leg spider you had your eyes on etc.

Spideys Trump drugs. Alcohol is a drug by the way. My spiders bite me when I'm drunk. I had a pink-toed tarantula that never once bit me while I was sober and bit me multiple times while I was drunk. They might be able to detect alcohol in a person's pores, or something, but they do know when I'm drunk.

They make that quite obvious. They want me to stay sober. :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Nope. Sorry. Spiders not welcomed...nor snakes, wild dogs, saber-toothed tigers, etc.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Besides spiders, if I'm not mistaken, ticks, mites, and scorpions are also arachnids. I have nothing against spiders, because no spider has ever seriously harmed me. The worst any spider ever did to me is irritate my skin; this happened when my pet tarantula kicked off its urticating hair into some skin on my hand. ...:eek:

However, I do hold a grudge against scorpions. I was stung by a scorpion whom I mishandled when I was drunk in New Mexico where I was at the end of my drinking binge and was just starting to get sober for a family vacation. Even in my drunk stupor, I could feel the pain from the Scorpion's venom; this quickly sobered me up. ...:(

Spiderman

Veteran Member
My Goliath birdeater rubs her legs together to create a hissing noise when she's angry at me. It kind of reminds me of a rattlesnake.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Besides spiders, if I'm not mistaken, ticks, mites, and scorpions are also arachnids. I have nothing against spiders, because no spider has ever seriously harmed me. The worst any spider ever did to me is irritate my skin; this happened when my pet tarantula kicked off its urticating hair into some skin on my hand. ...:eek:

However, I do hold a grudge against scorpions. I was stung by a scorpion whom I mishandled when I was drunk in New Mexico where I was at the end of my drinking binge and was just starting to get sober for a family vacation. Even in my drunk stupor, I could feel the pain from the Scorpion's venom; this quickly sobered me up. ...:(
Yes, when I said arachnids, I was only thinking about scorpions and spiders. I had an emperor scorpion sting me so many times that my face broke out in white hives and I felt like I was dying.

I've never owned a scorpion since then. But I would never kill one either.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'll trap most small beasties in a glass and release them outside if i can get to it before the cat.

But not all..., flies, mosquitoes, wasps, scorpions, processionary caterpillars and vipers dont last long

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you think animal cruelty laws don't apply to arachnids? For all we know, they might have many of the same feelings that cats and dogs have. Their webs and tunnels can be beautiful enough that they could qualify as artwork sometimes.

These creatures are very good for the world. They also can sense heat or cold, demonstrate whether they are happy or sad, and show all the signs of having fear, being joyful, getting excited, having curiosity, and feelings with their body language.

(another good thing about them, is their bodily wastes do not put off any unpleasant odor like other pets).

We probably don't think of spiders as having as many feelings as a cat or a dog, or being close to as intelligent, but even if they were just as intelligent, and had the same thoughts, it's not like we would know.

Having owned an extremely large amount of arachnids, I've even discovered that you can tame the most dangerous and aggressive ones that they sell.

They do seem to have a memory and when held on a daily basis they start being far more okay with that then when you first purchase them. (When mistreated though, they also can show signs of being traumatized or having PTSD.)

The aggressive baboon tarantula can be terrifyed, run extremely fast, stand on their hind legs and lunge, and be defensive the first time you hold them. Yet through exposure and gentleness, can reach a point where you can massage their abdomen and chest or pet them, and they don't get upset or bite or try to get away. They seem to actually appreciate the affection.

I just don't get why so many people hate an animal that is so good for our planet and a natural insecticide that doesn't cause cancer like so many other insecticides.

These are very good gentle creatures on average who are despised and mass-murdered because of the way they look. Every time you kill a spider, you caused a lot more unwanted pests to exist and reproduce.

STOP THIS MADNESS! :mad:
I don't know what you mean by taming spiders, but spiders are nothing like vertebrates. As I child I was bitten by a spider (in my house) and nearly lost a finger. The bite was small and only appeared at first as a small, hard knot; but it stung. The stinging grew worse and worse and caused painful swelling and a wound that wouldn't heal. The finger was at least twice as fat as normal. It was so swollen that I was able to dig some kind of green dead tissue out of the wound. Only then after getting out that goo would it heal. Who knows, too, whether I got it all out? Its possible some of it went into my brain or some other important organ. Since then I tend to have feelings of rejection and anger towards any species of spider. I worry about getting bitten. To make matters worse, spiders can't feel pain like we do. They don't feel joy or love or grief. They probably only feel either depression or excitement. Those are probably their two feelings.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Killing a creature that is good for mankind because it looks ugly (or scary) to you is toxic bigotry! :mad:

Unless your motive for killing them is food.
Everytime someone kills a spider, they contribute to making arachnid species more elusive and potentially more dangerous.

I believe the process is called "natural selection" where us spider killers are the 'nature' in natural selection, weeding out the weak.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Yes, when I said arachnids, I was only thinking about scorpions and spiders. I had an emperor scorpion sting me so many times that my face broke out in white hives and I felt like I was dying.

I've never owned a scorpion since then. But I would never kill one either.

I'm so glad to have only been stung once by a scorpion. I don't know if I'm fearless enough to be around any scorpion long enough to get stung multiple times; but you are courageous enough to be a Scorpion King.

The bark scorpion is the most venomous scorpion in North America, and its venom can cause severe pain (coupled with numbness, tingling, and vomiting) in adult humans, typically lasting between 24 and 72 hours

Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member

I had a spider friend once. It spun it's web on my patio next to the chair I smoke in. It lived for about 6 months, and I sometimes captured fruit flies and dropped them in his web, but he never ate them. Then he finally died.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm so glad to have only been stung once by a scorpion. I don't know if I'm fearless enough to be around any scorpion long enough to get stung multiple times; but you are courageous enough to be a Scorpion King.

The bark scorpion is the most venomous scorpion in North America, and its venom can cause severe pain (coupled with numbness, tingling, and vomiting) in adult humans, typically lasting between 24 and 72 hours

Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia

When I lived in AZ, a scorpion was in my dog's food bowl and stung my dog right on his nose. The dog started drooling, and shaking his head like a dog trying to dry off. It really looked painful.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I don't know what you mean by taming spiders, but spiders are nothing like vertebrates. As I child I was bitten by a spider (in my house) and nearly lost a finger. The bite was small and only appeared at first as a small, hard knot; but it stung. The stinging grew worse and worse and caused painful swelling and a wound that wouldn't heal. The finger was at least twice as fat as normal. It was so swollen that I was able to dig some kind of green dead tissue out of the wound. Only then after getting out that goo would it heal. Who knows, too, whether I got it all out? Its possible some of it went into my brain or some other important organ. Since then I tend to have feelings of rejection and anger towards any species of spider. I worry about getting bitten. To make matters worse, spiders can't feel pain like we do. They don't feel joy or love or grief. They probably only feel either depression or excitement. Those are probably their two feelings.

Are you able to shoot silk from your fingers?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Whilst I don't go out of my way to hurt spiders. I'm also not about to let red backs or wolf spiders or black widows randomly hang out with my nieces and nephews. A daddy long legs is fine. I'll even release baby Huntsmans. But I'm sorry, if you have little ones running around. I'm not going to take the chance. We call it the Aussie instinctive reaction.