• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop referring to Daesh as "ISIS"

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I just have to vent for a second.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves of recent years, as a polytheist and a person who supports the revival and continuance of indigenous belief systems the world over. I find it extremely offensive to refer to that sick fanatical group by the name of ISIS. Isis is a beautiful Egyptian goddess who should not have her good name sullied by it being associated with that evil group. Plus, "Daesh" is often taken as an insult by members of that group, which is an added reason to use it. So by using "Daesh" instead of "ISIS", you are both flipping off the sickos in that group and respecting the name of the goddess.

What Does 'Daesh' Mean and Why Does ISIS Hate It?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod: pagan dir. Only pagans may comment. Everyone else please remove Dir access if you can do so without removing access to your own Dir. Respectful questions are Ok, but its probably best to direct them to Religious Q&A which doesn't require a Dir selection in /account. In the Dir try to go for a question that is non controversial, something you'd like to get a clarification on or that you'd like information about. ***

FooYang

I just have to vent for a second.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves of recent years, as a polytheist and a person who supports the revival and continuance of indigenous belief systems the world over. I find it extremely offensive to refer to that sick fanatical group by the name of ISIS. Isis is a beautiful Egyptian goddess who should not have her good name sullied by it being associated with that evil group. Plus, "Daesh" is often taken as an insult by members of that group, which is an added reason to use it. So by using "Daesh" instead of "ISIS", you are both flipping off the sickos in that group and respecting the name of the goddess.

What Does 'Daesh' Mean and Why Does ISIS Hate It?

Yes, good point, the exact same is with the word "Jihad" itself which is a very multifaceted term that doesn't deal with warfare. The correct term is "Qatil" but even that is inaccurate when placed up against terrorist organizations, as it is a means to an end (being, against oppression). (aside from that, Islam itself is doctrinally opposed to offensive warfare/fighting to begin with)

But yeah, Isis is a beautiful deity:

Goddess-ISIS-web-Katherine-Skaggs.jpg

I'm sure she's upset that her name is associated with a terrorist organization....