• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stimulus check q&a

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I thought about making a community FAQ about the government stimulus checks.

Q: What is a government stimulus check?

A: Awhile back, Tulsi Gabbard and Mitt Romney floated the idea of paying money to each American in the amount of roughly $1,000 either monthly or as a one-time payment. Trump later said he supported the idea and to make a long story short, helped kickfire it into action.

The Senate Republicans created a bill in the Senate for funding for businesses as well as for Americans for the coronavirus. Halfway through the process, Democrat Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and the Democrats raised objection that they weren't being included in the bill. After a few days of strong debate and a lot of back and forth, a bill was created that could be agreed upon, passing the Senate 96-0. One of Chuck Schumer's amendments was that almost all people receive a full $1200 check and not just the working class up to a certain income. Prior, some Americans could have received only $600 under a previous draft of the bill. The bill had less problems passing the House and being signed by the President. The final $2.2 trillion bill called for a $1,200 check or direct deposit to be sent to eligible Americans. Other measures in the bill included grants for small businesses and loans for large businesses.

Q: When will the checks come?

A: The IRS will reportedly begin issuing $1,200 stimulus payments on April 9, but some Americans could wait up to 5 months to receive their check

Q: What about if I'm on social security?

A: People on normal Social Security according to most articles don't need to file taxes because the IRS will have your 1099 form. However, in cases like SSI, no 1099 form is generated, so you *may* need to file a tax form.

20200403_230124.jpg

Q: I filed taxes but it may come by check. How do I give the IRS my direct deposit info instead?

A: Many articles state that the IRS will have a web based portal on their website in the coming weeks for fixing this.

IRS Page (Thanks Unveiled Artist!):
Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service

Bonus question for the community: How will you spend yours, if you feel comfortable saying?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

A: Awhile back, Tulsi Gabbard and Mitt Romney floated the idea of paying money to each American in the amount of roughly $1,000 either monthly or as a one-time payment. Trump later said he supported the idea and to make a long story short, helped kickfire it into action.

The Senate Republicans created a bill in the Senate for funding for businesses as well as for Americans for the coronavirus. Halfway through the process, Democrat Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and the Democrats raised objection that they weren't being included in the bill. After a few days of strong debate and a lot of back and forth, a bill was created that could be agreed upon, passing the Senate 96-0. One of Chuck Schumer's amendments was that almost all people receive a full $1200 check and not just the working class up to a certain income. Prior, some Americans could have received only $600 under a previous draft of the bill. The bill had less problems passing the House and being signed by the President. The final $2.2 trillion bill called for a $1,200 check or direct deposit to be sent to eligible Americans. Other measures in the bill included grants for small businesses and loans for large businesses.

A: The IRS will reportedly begin issuing $1,200 stimulus payments on April 9, but some Americans could wait up to 5 months to receive their check

A: People on normal Social Security according to most articles don't need to file taxes because the IRS will have your 1099 form. However, in cases like SSI, no 1099 form is generated, so you *may* need to file a tax form.

View attachment 38502

Q: I filed taxes but it may come by check. How do I give the IRS my direct deposit info instead?

A: Many articles state that the IRS will have a web based portal on their website in the coming weeks for fixing this.

Bonus question for the community: How will you spend yours, if you feel comfortable saying?

I'm just going to put it all in my savings. I paid all my bills off (I'm just little ol' me) except for school loans and I'm a simple liver.

Here is a good source to put in the OP if you like Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service. Good info you have.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

View attachment 38502

IRS Page (Thanks Unveiled Artist!):
Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service

Correction

are up to 100 percent forgivable as long
02:14
as employers keep paying their workers
02:16
gotta take care of your workers
02:19
furthermore we want Social Security
02:21
beneficiaries to know that if they are
02:23

typically not required to file a tax
02:26
return they don't have to file one in
02:28
order to receive the direct cash
02:30
payments that will soon be distributed
02:32
to American citizens the Treasury will
02:36
deposit the money directly into the bank
02:39
accounts and don't forget I will always
02:41
protect your Social Security your
02:43
Medicare and your Medicaid we're
02:45
protecting Social Security Medicare and
02:49
Medicaid and I always will
02:50
I'd like now to invite SP

-

Kat. Had to do a correction. I had to look it up earlier since I'm on SSI myself. But you're good.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Correction

are up to 100 percent forgivable as long
02:14
as employers keep paying their workers
02:16
gotta take care of your workers
02:19
furthermore we want Social Security
02:21
beneficiaries to know that if they are
02:23

typically not required to file a tax
02:26
return they don't have to file one in
02:28
order to receive the direct cash
02:30
payments that will soon be distributed
02:32
to American citizens the Treasury will
02:36
deposit the money directly into the bank
02:39
accounts and don't forget I will always
02:41
protect your Social Security your
02:43
Medicare and your Medicaid we're
02:45
protecting Social Security Medicare and
02:49
Medicaid and I always will
02:50
I'd like now to invite SP

-

Kat. Had to do a correction. I had to look it up earlier since I'm on SSI myself. But you're good.

Thing is, most articles which state SSI is included, still talk about a 1099 tax form. Can you prove that in cases where there is absolutely no tax form, that the IRS is going to work with the Social Security Administration to distribute payments?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thing is, most articles which state SSI is included, still talk about a 1099 tax form. Can you prove that in cases where there is absolutely no tax form, that the IRS is going to work with the Social Security Administration to distribute payments?

I'm trying to find it on the IRS or social security site, but this is what I found so far.

Since it's under 2,000 and it's a one time thing, it wouldn't be a problem (from what I was told by SSI). But still trying to find it in writing.

FAQs on Social Security and the Coronavirus

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Here we go Press Release | Press Office | Social Security Administration

The Department of the Treasury (Treasury) announced on April 1 that Social Security beneficiaries who are not typically required to file tax returns will not need to file an abbreviated tax return to receive an economic impact payment. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 to generate $1,200 economic impact payments to Social Security beneficiaries who did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Since it's under 2,000 and it's a one time thing, it wouldn't be a problem (from what I was told by SSI). But still trying to find it in writing.

Social Security won't take away your stimulus check, if that's what you mean.

The point of filing a tax form is just to give them your info to send payment, for the most part.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Here we go Press Release | Press Office | Social Security Administration

The Department of the Treasury (Treasury) announced on April 1 that Social Security beneficiaries who are not typically required to file tax returns will not need to file an abbreviated tax return to receive an economic impact payment. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 to generate $1,200 economic impact payments to Social Security beneficiaries who did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Social Security won't take away your stimulus check, if that's what you mean.

The point of filing a tax form is just to give them your info to send payment, for the most part.

The only way SSI recipients can loose SSI checks if it we get a check over, I think 2,000 in one month or work full-time after two years, we'll earn points. After five years thereafter, we'd loose our SSI*. I did look at the forms but I couldn't find where SSI "wages" would be since it's not taxed.

*Only from what I was told and read.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Social Security beneficiaries who are not typically required to file tax returns "will not need to file an abbreviated tax return" to receive an economic impact payment. ....

I'm reading something wrong.

Got it:

The IRS is tasked with determining eligibility and sending out stimulus payments. The agency will base the payment amount on your 2019 federal tax return, if you already filed it, or on your 2018 return. If you haven’t filed tax returns for those years, and you receive Social Security benefits, the IRS says it will send a $1,200 stimulus payment to recipients based on information contained in “1099” Social Security benefit statements. The IRS says no extra paperwork is required from Social Security recipients and railroad retirees to receive a $1,200 stimulus payment.

We get benefit statements each month.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The only way SSI recipients can loose SSI checks if it we get a check over, I think 2,000 in one month or work full-time after two years, we'll earn points. After five years thereafter, we'd loose our SSI*. I did look at the forms but I couldn't find where SSI "wages" would be since it's not taxed.

*Only from what I was told and read.

All I'm saying is, your sources speak of not having to file taxes due to having an SSA-1099 form. The problem?

20200404_002357.jpg

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Not understanding. Since we don't typically file, the government goes off of our social security benefit statement. Those who have filed, of course the government will go off that. Both are correct, I'm assuming.

I don't know, the problem might be using the term "government" to apply to everything. This is the IRS. The question is, will the IRS request documents from the Social Security Administration, or just go by the data they already have?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know, the problem might be using the term "government" to apply to everything. This is the IRS. The question is, will the IRS request documents from the Social Security Administration, or just go by the data they already have?

Good question. I'd have to ask. The only information I got for that is Trump's speech. He said IRS would get the information from social security.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
However, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who haven’t filed tax returns for 2018 or 2019, and who will receive stimulus payments based on their 1099 benefit statements alone, won’t be immediately eligible for added payments for dependents. “Since the IRS would not have information regarding any dependents for these people, each person would receive $1,200 per person, without the additional amount for any dependents at this time,” according to the IRS.
Do I Have to File 2019 Taxes to Get a Stimulus Check?