• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still love your guns, America? Fourteen elementary kids and teacher killed in Texas

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Not wrong. As they stated "crime per capita"

Total crimes per 1000

Canada 80.25
Ranked 10th. 94% more than United States

United States 41.29
Ranked 22nd

Countries Compared by Crime > Total crimes per 1000. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
I guess it depends on which figures you decide you want to see. Because here's another very similar site, and it reverses the comparison, putting Canada lower (41.89) in crime index to the United States (47.81).

Crime Rate by Country 2022

And your site also points out that crime rate can also be an indicator of public willingness to REPORT crime -- unreported crimes don't get counted.

Still, @SkepticThinker posted two tables that show violent crime and murders. Now, if we remember that in Singapore, chewing gum is a crime, that would show up, and wouldn't in the US (or Canada). There are places where spitting on the sidewalk is also a crime. If you think it wise to compare all these things -- when trying to talk seriously about a VIOLENT CRIME PROBLEM, then I'm sorry, but your priority is not solving the problem. It's something else

We Never Know

No Slack
I guess it depends on which figures you decide you want to see. Because here's another very similar site, and it reverses the comparison, putting Canada lower (41.89) in crime index to the United States (47.81).

Crime Rate by Country 2022

And your site also points out that crime rate can also be an indicator of public willingness to REPORT crime -- unreported crimes don't get counted.

Still, @SkepticThinker posted two tables that show violent crime and murders. Now, if we remember that in Singapore, chewing gum is a crime, that would show up, and wouldn't in the US (or Canada). There are places where spitting on the sidewalk is also a crime. If you think it wise to compare all these things -- when trying to talk seriously about a VIOLENT CRIME PROBLEM, then I'm sorry, but your priority is not solving the problem. It's something else

See my edit to that post then see my new post

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It seems you equate killing in self defense & wrongful killing.
I reject that premise.
I tend to think more along chains of events. If I deliberately put myself into a situation in which it is likely I'll have to "defend myself," and I do so having made sure I was sufficiently armed, my own feeling is that I bear some considerable responsibility. I am supposed to be an adult, and know better, than to put myself in such a situation in the first place.

I know that's not the law -- too complex for law. But it is my personal view.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"This is why I say that the Republicans have no interest in this problem, nor in unavailability of healthcare, nor in the problem of vaccine hesitancy. They understand the value of gun control, public health care, and vaccination for themselves. They just don't want others to have it" Yet....Biden's inauguration.... "Secret Service will take command of security preparations at the U.S. Capitol and other federal buildings, backed by as many as 15,000 National Guard troops, thousands of police and tactical officers, the FBI, US Marshals and layers of eight-foot steel fencing." Thats a whole lot of guns brought in by the dems.

I don't see the relevance. Democrats are not opposed to police and military being armed, nor in protecting the president from gun nuts that would shoot him for being a Democrat.

"Even the court system recognized that Rittenhouse was a killer with a gun." Thats too broad of a brush. By that anyone(police, military, self-defense, etc) that kills anyone using a gun is "a killer with a gun".

Yes, anyone who kills with a gun is a killer with a gun, just as everybody who skis with a hat is a skier with a hat. It's not too broad a brush there, either. It's just language. The suffix "-er"voften means one who does something.

Maybe if they get a few more tax breaks, they'll let a few crumbs of charity trickle down. The church is not the solution. The government is when not subverted by its enemies. The Republicans oppose virtually every form of government financial support for ordinary people.

Not this current government. And no, the government is rarely the solution.

Not this current government? Are you thinking that the Republicans are the answer to helping the needy?

And yes, government is often the solution, but it has to be one that isn't continually subverted and damaged to be effective. Government would work better without the 1200 pound Republican gorilla choking and trying to kill it at every turn:

grovernorquist1.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I tend to think more along chains of events. If I deliberately put myself into a situation in which it is likely I'll have to "defend myself," and I do so having made sure I was sufficiently armed, my own feeling is that I bear some considerable responsibility.
That's what I've been saying all along.
It's like we share one brain!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That's what I've been saying all along.
It's like we share one brain!
Maybe we do. I've been told I'm working with only half a brain before. :p

But I think there are some differences. You're libertarian and I'm liberal. In my own mind, the basic difference between us is that I don't like government interfering in what people (or businesses) ought to do, but I think I have a little more tolerance for government proscribing some behaviours -- for having a say in what we ought not to do, when they can show sufficient reason.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
One has to wonder, really, when the Second Amendment was written and based upon the idea of a "well regulated militia," the founders contemplated no regulation whatever around possession of sophisticated weaponry by the general population -- the vast majority of whom have nothing whatever to do with any sort of "militia."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And one also has to wonder: is America an "outlier" when it comes to people suffering mental illness? No, every nation has such people, usually in about the same proportion.

Where America IS an "outlier," however, is that it alone is the country where such people -- and everyone else -- has easy access to lethal firearms.

And if any of you cannot see a causal relationship here, then you are fooling yourself, as if fondling your gun makes you get a little moist, like any other fetish does.

myviewyourview

Fourteen students and one teacher were killed Tuesday during a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said.

70c8fc80

“He shot and killed horrifically, incomprehensibly, 14 students and killed a teacher. Mr. Ramos, the shooter, he himself is deceased and its believed that responding officers killed him,” Abbott told a news briefing.

At least 15 dead after shooting at Texas elementary school: governor - National | Globalnews.ca

The problem is far to many people in the US don't think right and work on faith and listen to fools. For example the ones that claim it is their god given right to carry any weapon due to the 2nd amendment can't read or don't know what it says. Key words "well regulated"

Amendment II. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

We Never Know

No Slack
The problem is far to many people in the US don't think right and work on faith and listen to fools. For example the ones that claim it is their god given right to carry any weapon due to the 2nd amendment can't read or don't know what it says. Key words "well regulated"

Amendment II. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"god given right to carry any weapon"

A god didn't give them that right.

myviewyourview

How many useful gun related public policy measures have
been enacted because "y'all" ignore the issues until raging
over a shooting, & demanding an end to gun rights?

The vast majority of Americans WANT some form of regulation for weapons. The alt right scream murder and claim they want to take all our guns. This is basicly saying do nothing, let the USA lead all nations for mass murders, and most are in public spaces. The right respond have armed police at schools, malls, churchs, bus stations, train stations, all public places. Well though out people. Is it any wonder the world looks at America and say what the hell is wrong with those people. Screw protecting kids, its more important to have everyone carry assault weapons.

And for those that claim background checks will solve the problem think again. This KID was not mental, legally bought two assault weapons and its a piece of cake to go and kill 18 children. Thats the problem. He sohuld have never been able to buy and assault rifle, thats the problem.

FACT If the US government wanted to deal with the problem they would. However NRA money and the lobby system is more important to them then protecting people.

And for the record I grew up with weapons as I grew up on a farm. I then spent 20 years in the CANADAIN Air Force. I am not American.

What you Americans do is talk it back and forth, a divided country that can't do anything about anything.