• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stigmatizing

InChrist

Free4ever
Should the unvaccinated be stigmatized? Is doing so right, moral, logical, or based on factual reality?

“In the USA and Germany, high-level officials have used the term pandemic of the unvaccinated, suggesting that people who have been vaccinated are not relevant in the epidemiology of COVID-19. Officials’ use of this phrase might have encouraged one scientist to claim that “the unvaccinated threaten the vaccinated for COVID-19”.1 But this view is far too simple.”

DEFINE_ME

Recently, I have read that there are outbreaks on cruise ships with fully vaccinated crew and passengers. As well, a Belgian scientific research station in Antarctica has had an outbreak of Covid-19, although workers are fully vaccinated and based in one of the world's remotest regions.

Orbit

I'm a planet
This argument is becoming quite tired. It's a matter of public health and common sense. When a vaccinated person gets Covid, they are far less likely to take up a hospital bed because their cases are statistically not as severe. This helps our overburdened hospitals, which are experiencing capacity problems, filling up with the unvaccinated.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Should the unvaccinated be stigmatized? Is doing so right, moral, logical, or based on factual reality?

“In the USA and Germany, high-level officials have used the term pandemic of the unvaccinated, suggesting that people who have been vaccinated are not relevant in the epidemiology of COVID-19. Officials’ use of this phrase might have encouraged one scientist to claim that “the unvaccinated threaten the vaccinated for COVID-19”.1 But this view is far too simple.”

DEFINE_ME

Recently, I have read that there are outbreaks on cruise ships with fully vaccinated crew and passengers. As well, a Belgian scientific research station in Antarctica has had an outbreak of Covid-19, although workers are fully vaccinated and based in one of the world's remotest regions.
I don't know if you heard. The vaccinated only catch the virus because people are unvaccinated... according to what people say.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn’t be disrespectful to an unvaccinated person. Maybe that person has health issues or is allergic to the current vaccines, preventing them from getting it and therefore relying on me to get one to keep them safe.

In my state right now most businesses that are deemed necessary (grocery stores and funnily enough alcohol and tobacco shops and the likes) require masks for entry.
Most pubs and restaurants require proof of vaccination for entry due to everyone well needing to remove their mask to eat and drink, I guess. Is that stigmatisation? Not really because businesses have always had conditions for entry. And they’re largely allowed to kick you out for whatever reason they deem fit. That’s been true for decades.
They’re private companies after all.

Not sure if someone who could prove their exemption status would be denied access to pubs. Likely not at the moment. Maybe if we enter another hard lockdown I dunno.
But we’ve also had a bunch of festivals/celebrations that I think only required masks. Can’t remember, was too drunk lol

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if you heard. The vaccinated only catch the virus because people are unvaccinated... according to what people say.
No. It’s more likely that outbreak cases occur with a higher portion of the population being unvaccinated. This is due to viruses mutating with any given host. There’s only so many random mutations any vaccine can account for by default.
That’s literally true of all diseases we currently vaccinate for, it’s just the rates which allow that to occur differ. Due to differing infection rates. (Polio isn’t that infectious vs the chicken pox which is.)
It’s simple biology really

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Lets look at France, for which i have the figures updated to my phone every few minutes.

91% of hospital beds taken by covid patients who are unvaccinated. Now consider that 89.8% of people over 12 years old are fully vaccinated.

This means that around 10% of the population are taking 90% of hospital beds.

exchemist

Veteran Member

DEFINE_ME

To repeat yet again, no vaccine, for any disease, gives 100% protection against infection.

In rough terms, being vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 reduces your chance of infection by about half, and your chance of severe disease (hospitalisation and/or death) by about 80%. Vaccination also reduces how infectious you are, if you catch it, probably by about half. So the unvaccinated people in the population spread the virus four times as much as the vaccinated people. Not getting vaccinated has real consequences for other people, especially other unvaccinated people, or people who are immunocompromised by age or medical conditions. Getting vaccinated is therefore your Christian duty towards others. Why is it that people that call themselves Christian refuse to think of others and only talk about themselves and their "rights"?

This ridiculous hoo-ha about the covid vaccine is manufactured. We (or most of us) accept a whole raft of childhood vaccinations for our children without any qualms. So what's going on here? It's far right politics.

InChrist

Free4ever
Lets look at France, for which i have the figures updated to my phone every few minutes.

91% of hospital beds taken by covid patients who are unvaccinated. Now consider that 89.8% of people over 12 years old are fully vaccinated.

Maybe you can tell me, have unvaccinated hospital employees in France; doctors, nurses and other staff been let go from their jobs ?

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Maybe you can tell me, have unvaccinated hospital employees: doctors, nurses and other staff been let go from their jobs ?

As far as i know there are no unvaccinated staff working in any medical facility. So i assume if anyone refused vaccinated they essentially quit there jobs.

It is illegal to be in hospital without full vaccination except in cases of emergency. That applies to staff and patients

InChrist

Free4ever
To repeat yet again, no vaccine, for any disease, gives 100% protection against infection.

In rough terms, being vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 reduces your chance of infection by about half, and your chance of severe disease (hospitalisation and/or death) by about 80%. Vaccination also reduces how infectious you are, if you catch it, probably by about half. So the unvaccinated people in the population spread the virus four times as much as the vaccinated people. Not getting vaccinated has real consequences for other people, especially other unvaccinated people, or people who are immunocompromised by age or medical conditions. Getting vaccinated is therefore your Christian duty towards others. Why is it that people that call themselves Christian refuse to think of others and only talk about themselves and their "rights"?

This ridiculous hoo-ha about the covid vaccine is manufactured. We (or most of us) accept a whole raft of childhood vaccinations for our children without any qualms. So what's going on here? It's far right politics.
I disagree, it’s not far right politics. It’s personal health and medical choice. It is far left politics that want to force and coerce everyone to comply, though, from my perspective.

InChrist

Free4ever
As far as i know there are no unvaccinated staff working in any medical facility. So i assume if anyone refused vaccinated they essentially quit there jobs.

It is illegal to be in hospital without full vaccination except in cases of emergency. That applies to staff and patients
Thank you.

Do you think the loss of staff and being shorthanded accounts for hospitals being overburdened at all?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

There should indeed be stigmatization for harmful behavior,
eg, drunk driving, robbery, assault. Refusing vaccination
has consequences that affect people other than the one
unvaccinated. Of course, this doesn't mean we should be
cruel to anti-vaxers. But they'll endure some restrictions
because of their choice.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Thank you.

Do you think the loss of staff and being shorthanded accounts for hospitals being overburdened at all?

Having just had a short spell in hospital i can say no, they are just as efficient as usual. My TousAntiCovid app is showing as of right now, ICU beds are at 64% occupancy in my department and 73% across france. So the few who refused the vaccine have made little difference.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
There should indeed be stigmatization for harmful behavior,
eg, drunk driving, robbery, assault. Refusing vaccination
has consequences that affect people other than the one
unvaccinated. Of course, this doesn't mean we should be
cruel to anti-vaxers. But they'll endure some restrictions
because of their choice.

Absolutely. A friend of mine has always said he doesn't need it because he never sees anyone. He had his first jab 3 weeks ago after he was refused entry to a restaurant.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I disagree, it’s not far right politics. It’s personal health and medical choice. It is far left politics that want to force and coerce everyone to comply, though, from my perspective.
My whole post point is devoted to pointing out why it is not just a matter of personal choice. Because it affects how many other people will get seriously ill or die.

If you are a Christian, these people are your "neighbours", whom you should love "as yourself".

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no problem with stigmatizing those who are medically capable of getting a vaccine and refuse to. They are, legitimately, being selfish and putting others at risk.

Having a large population of unvaccinated people constitutes a breeding ground for new variants to get a foothold. Since no vaccine is 100%, those new variants put *everyone* at risk. And that is fundamentally immoral.

InChrist

Free4ever
My whole post point is devoted to pointing out why it is not just a matter of personal choice. Because it affects how many other people will get seriously ill or die.

If you are a Christian, these people are your "neighbours", whom you should love "as yourself".
I consider injecting these vaccines into myself as a dangerous thing to do, detrimental to the body...
(Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
1 Corinthians 6:19). So why would I want to see anyone doing so or think my doing so is demonstrating love?

On the contrary for me to do so against my conscience would be sin.

... for whatever is not from faith is sin. Romans 14:23

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I consider injecting these vaccines into myself as a dangerous thing to do, detrimental to the body...
(Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
1 Corinthians 6:19). So why would I want to see anyone doing so or think my doing so is demonstrating love?

I hereby stigmatize you!
Does it sting....or tickle?

Would the first one be "stingmatizing"?

Hold

Model Member
Premium Member

They nailed Him to Cross.....Thorns pierced his scalp.......A spear pierced his torso......He did that for me and you.
It is your choice but that vaccine could save your life. I lost my niece to covid, she was a mom..Please reconsider and either way, you are in my prayers......Happy New Year

InChrist

Free4ever
They nailed Him to Cross.....Thorns pierced his scalp.......A spear pierced his torso......He did that for me and you.
It is your choice but that vaccine could save your life. I lost my niece to covid, she was a mom..Please reconsider and either way, you are in my prayers......Happy New Year
I am so sorry about your niece. I had Covid three months ago. I was not hospitalized. I have antibodies and immunity now.
God bless you in the New Year.