• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stigmata!

Colin_Admin

Is this a real phenomena or a hoax?

Stigmata is spontaneous manifestation of bloody wounds on a person's hands, feet, forehead and back - similar to the wounds of the crucified Jesus. Those who describe stigmata categorize these experiences as divine or mystical. History tells us that many ecstatic bear on hands, feet, side, or brow the marks of the Passion of Christ with corresponding and intense sufferings. These are called visible stigmata. Others only have the sufferings, without any outward marks, and these phenomena are called invisible stigmata.

What I dont understand is, why do these people with stigmata bleed from the hands when Jesus would have been nailed through the wrists?

Rex

Founder
like this?

stigmata.jpg

he was nailed thru the hands instead of the wrist so it would be harder and more painful for him to pull himself up in order to breath.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Stigmata is mostly a function of connectedness and 'over sympathizing' with Jesus' crusifixion... the most common thought about why the hands is that is where it is depicted in most religious artwork and so that is where the subconscious places it...

It has been documented as an actual phenomina in a few cases... wether its caused by god or the subconsious is still debated...

it has also been found to be a hoax in some cases... people wanting a quick road to being holy.

wa:-do

Not extremely on topic, but I have seen it depicted and it was shown in the movie (passion of the christ) where although he was nailed through the hand (and we all know that scientists debunked this, saying that the weight of the body would not have been held by his hands) he had ropes binding his wrists to the cross, as if he were tied in place and the nailing was just a form of torture?? Perhaps like all were given a wedge of wood to perch on, but they decided, hey, for kicks let's just nail his feet as well... ?? That is what I saw in the movie anyway, I wasn't there....

SOMITW

Jesus was NOT nailed through the hands. Many people forget how the romans actually crucified people. They tied a rope around both arms to support you, the nailed through the wrists. The block given at th epersons feet supported their body, just enough so that they would not suffocate, therefore so they would suffer. When they wanted you to die(if you hadn't already, they broke your legs. WHen this happens, your knees give out and you suffocate. Then to check to see if you are dead, they would spear you through the side, to see if blood and water came out, or just blood.
Watch the passion, they did it correctly.

he was nailed thru the hands instead of the wrist so it would be harder and more painful for him to pull himself up in order to breath.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Stigmata is mostly a function of connectedness and 'over sympathizing' with Jesus' crusifixion... the most common thought about why the hands is that is where it is depicted in most religious artwork and so that is where the subconscious places it...

It has been documented as an actual phenomina in a few cases... wether its caused by god or the subconsious is still debated...

it has also been found to be a hoax in some cases... people wanting a quick road to being holy.

wa:-do

Not extremely on topic, but I have seen it depicted and it was shown in the movie (passion of the christ) where although he was nailed through the hand (and we all know that scientists debunked this, saying that the weight of the body would not have been held by his hands) he had ropes binding his wrists to the cross, as if he were tied in place and the nailing was just a form of torture?? Perhaps like all were given a wedge of wood to perch on, but they decided, hey, for kicks let's just nail his feet as well... ?? That is what I saw in the movie anyway, I wasn't there....

SOMITW

Jesus was NOT nailed through the hands. Many people forget how the romans actually crucified people. They tied a rope around both arms to support you, the nailed through the wrists. The block given at th epersons feet supported their body, just enough so that they would not suffocate, therefore so they would suffer. When they wanted you to die(if you hadn't already, they broke your legs. WHen this happens, your knees give out and you suffocate. Then to check to see if you are dead, they would spear you through the side, to see if blood and water came out, or just blood.
Watch the passion, they did it correctly.