• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sticky proposal (poll)

Would you want to make a sticky along these kinds of lines to represent the diversity of views?

• Yes, it would help people looking to learn about the LHP and encourage understanding of other views.

• No, I Prefer the anarchy!

• I would support a sticky, but not in this form (suggest below).

• Other (specifiy below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I tried to get some feedback in one of the two topics, but so far @1137 is the only one who's explicitly expressed interest in making such a thing. I also suggested it to the administration at about the same time so I think there is enough incentive to actually discuss this seriously.

I think a general overview would be nice. I think though that having every user ever post as the sticky kind of is a lot to go through and a lot of clutter. I think something streamlined, concise and neutral and general is the best, kind of like the stickies for the other religious sections. (though I think a lot of those are copy pastes from wikipedia and very long winded).

This is my current draft, feel free to make any edits; I want this to be collaborative.

draft said:
As a generalized overview, the term Left Hand Path is used by those who believe in or practice one or more of the following:

1. To refer to the historical Left Hand path of Vāmācāra / Vāmamārga ("Left Hand Path"); a "mode" of practice and worship that is heterodox and usually Tantric. It is contrasted by Dakshinachara (Right Hand Path) Tantra. The paths vary based on taste, culture, initiation and lineage. Left Hand Path sects exist in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism and are considered extreme to the status quo, particularly in relation to Vedic sects.

2. Used by occultists to refer to the attitudes and practice of either following specific ethical codes and social conventions (Right Hand Path) or promoting the breaking of taboos and moral relativism. The Left Hand Path in this context is based on the Tantric definition and can be considered Antinomian but practitioners may not necessarily claim to practice Black Magick.

3. A term used by Anton LaVey in The Satanic Bible to differentiate LaVeyan Satanism from other religions as hedonistic; "Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal—all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." The Church of Satan (which LaVey founded) has since expanded the meaning to also mean metaphorical self-deification.

4. To describe an occult path of self-actualized deification through antinomian, heterodox practices. To those practicing this path, The Left Hand Path is seen as individuating an isolated consciousness to godhood. It is typically dualistic and it's practices are very individualistic.

5. (currently empty)

Many religions or sects may fall fully into just one of these categories or fall into multiple categories in different ways. Some practitioners of the Left Hand Path may also group these according to Eastern and Western dichotomies. However many also see little if no distinction, and may perceive such divisions as secretarian. The Left Hand Path is highly individualistic and so the exact beliefs, tenants, goals and attitudes can vary greatly between different traditions, organizations and practitioners.

I would like this topic to be about this idea and proposal.

For the poll, the final result of the first answer would depend on everyone's participation in editing it and agreeing on a final draft. I would hope in the case of disagreements we be willing to compromise.

Also, if you change your mind you can change your vote as well.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Ya'll left-handers are a fascinating bunch! And equally misunderstood. I'd vote yes if this wasn't in the LHP dir.

I tried to get some feedback in one of the two topics, but so far @1137 is the only one who's explicitly expressed interest in making such a thing. I also suggested it to the administration at about the same time so I think there is enough incentive to actually discuss this seriously.

I think a general overview would be nice. I think though that having every user ever post as the sticky kind of is a lot to go through and a lot of clutter. I think something streamlined, concise and neutral and general is the best, kind of like the stickies for the other religious sections. (though I think a lot of those are copy pastes from wikipedia and very long winded).

This is my current draft, feel free to make any edits; I want this to be collaborative.

I would like this topic to be about this idea and proposal.

For the poll, the final result of the first answer would depend on everyone's participation in editing it and agreeing on a final draft. I would hope in the case of disagreements we be willing to compromise.

Also, if you change your mind you can change your vote as well.

Yes, and while we are at it we should make a sticky explaining how coffee is actually a type of tea.

I see what you are doing here Mandi, but the result would be to further confound a topic already packed to the gills with ignorance.