• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick Insect

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Kind of curious why you have your camera ready around you neighbors garage window. What was going on in there?

Our driveway went past their garage, we were on a battle axe block, I think you call them flag blocks. I walked the 20 yards to the house and grabbed the camera. I swear I'm not a pervert.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Since you have a close up of the posterior end of this guy, note the el
Is the body sort of curled in a semi-circular shape?

No it was straight[/QUOTE]
I hope you find the little summary of insects interesting. I didn't intend for it to take over your thread and hope it didn't.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Our driveway went past their garage, we were on a battle axe block, I think you call them flag blocks. I walked the 20 yards to the house and grabbed the camera. I swear I'm not a pervert.
That might be a little less believable if all the insect pictures were on bathroom or bedroom windows, but garage windows should be safe.

I used to use my parents carport as a "natural" insect trap. It had a bank of windows on the north side that anything that flew into the carport would fly toward and get trapped. I actually found the occasional rare or uncommon species that way. Houselights are another good place to bring in the insects and sometimes you get something really interesting to fly in.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
That might be a little less believable if all the insect pictures were on bathroom or bedroom windows, but garage windows should be safe.

I used to use my parents carport as a "natural" insect trap. It had a bank of windows on the north side that anything that flew into the carport would fly toward and get trapped. I actually found the occasional rare or uncommon species that way. Houselights are another good place to bring in the insects and sometimes you get something really interesting to fly in.

We usually get a lot of what we call Christmas Beetles at this time of year, they're iridescent and scarabs I think, I haven't seen one this year and a mate was telling me there was an article in the paper about their absence. I meant to chase it up but forgot.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
We usually get a lot of what we call Christmas Beetles at this time of year, they're iridescent and scarabs I think, I haven't seen one this year and a mate was telling me there was an article in the paper about their absence. I meant to chase it up but forgot.
Scarabs in the genus Anoplognathus. Large and pretty. Interesting. I'm not familiar with their specific plight, but many factors seem to be contributing to a decline in insects in general.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Scarabs in the genus Anoplognathus. Large and pretty. Interesting. I'm not familiar with their specific plight, but many factors seem to be contributing to a decline in insects in general.

We used to get giant ones but I haven't seen one since my mid 20's so 30 or so years, they were a health hazard when riding a motorbike. The smaller ones were still common but not this year but I have noticed they go in cycles like cicadas, some years they are far more numerous.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
We used to get giant ones but I haven't seen one since my mid 20's so 30 or so years, they were a health hazard when riding a motorbike. The smaller ones were still common but not this year but I have noticed they go in cycles like cicadas, some years they are far more numerous.
I've been in museums looking at beetles the size of a Quarter Pounder and hoped that no one on a motorcycle runs into one of those flying about. That would be a heck of a thing.

It would be nice that some of these declines are just cyclical and not part of the larger climate trend. Though, I cannot imagine at this point even cyclical trends are not being impacted.