• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Jobs dead

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Just saw this. He was a great man.
I'm in my 60s and have worked in computer systems for four decades. I own a Mac desktop and a Mac laptop. I have a mac.com email account. I'm typing this on my iPad. Jobs was enormously talented, innovative, and effective. But, to be honest, I struggle with the term "great."

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I'm in my 60s and have worked in computer systems for four decades. I own a Mac desktop and a Mac laptop. I have a mac.com email account. I'm typing this on my iPad. Jobs was enormously talented, innovative, and effective. But, to be honest, I struggle with the term "great."

He was a genius. A technological visionary. Under his leadership apple became a successful and "cool" company as well as pushing new ways to use technology.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He wasn't all that great.....except compared to other humans.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Is that necessary? Have a little respect.

One thing that I have seen cropping up now is that Apple is going to slowly twiddle away because Jobs isn't there anymore. Jobs was an amazing man, and I think just his fight to live in the recent years is impressive (not to mention the work he has done. I really do like Apple), but he was not alone in the work, and he was smart enough to know he had to leave someone in charge.

Jobs did a great job in bringing Apple to this point, and I am excited to see how Apple will continue to go and make Jobs proud.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Slave and child labour are never necessary and he was ok with both.

Apple and Steve Jobs are not synonymous. Just because Apple did something, that doesn't mean that Steve Jobs approved, especially considering that he did not control every aspect of the company. Considering that he had been taking extended periods of time off because of his health, he would not have been fully involved in every aspect.

More so, the fact that Apple conducted audits, and then tried to correct the problems that they say, would suggest something else. Especially considering that Apple was not personally hiring those children or forcing slave labor, but the companies that they hired had implemented those ideas. And when they did discover this, they tried to better the situation.

Really, Apple never had to release the audit anyway. And they didn't even have to conduct the audits in the first place. Plus, they stopped doing business with those companies that wouldn't comply with the changes Apple wanted (such as reversing the negatives found in the audits). And then they even compensated some of the people who had been injured or such on the job.

And again, this does not mean anything about Steve Jobs. Really, if looked at in a non-bias manner, I think we should applaud Apple for doing what they did with the audit, releasing it to the public (which they could have hid if they were so okay with what they found), and trying to right the wrongs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We have different criteria for greatness.
But of course!

I look at what he did....it was good, & he did it extremely well, part of revolutionizing not just an industry, but also how we all communicate.
I particularly like how Apple played such a big role in toppling Microjunk's dominance. Alas, I never used any Apple products, but I greatly
respect their approach to engineering design. My philosophy is that all products should be as easy & obvious to use as a refrigerator...one
look at it, & you instantly know what to do. Apple pursued this approach with a vengeance, & achieved elegance.

Slave and child labour are never necessary and he was ok with both.
I don't know if this is factual or not (no links provided). but ain't nobody perfect.
But those who can achieve greatness in spite of & overshadowing shortcomings are rare birds.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
:biglaugh:
And i live on the moon.
And look how lousy the living conditions you provide there are.
No air. Too hot or too cold. Radiation risks. No bacon.
You should be profoundly ashamed of yourself for your baconless world.

At the risk of making the thread too personal, I see that perhaps some who accomplish little in life are quick to embiggen themselves by trashing
those who succeed wildly. When offering criticism, hyperbolic & snarky accusations lacking support reflect upon the poster far more than their target.
Good....got that out of my system. (Don't want this cauldron to boil over.)

Last edited: