• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stereotypes of religions that need to go

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to point out a couple things:
  1. This thread is not in a debate area. Please keep that in mind.
  2. Having a Ph.D. or being an academic does not mean one doesn't have misconceptions about something (in fact this was routine particularly in the early days of fields like anthropology where non-white, non-Western European cultures were treated through a very ethnocentric and biased lens).

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Oops! Actually didn't realize that, need to watch those forum headings. Sorry!

And it is of course true that degrees do not make one correct; if academics believed that, we would treat each others' theories very differently!

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
All Christians are misogynistic or homophobic...

I'm Christian, most all the people I know or have known are Christian. That's quite a few
folks.
I know of NOT ONE that are anything like you describe!
You paint with a very broad brush and a warped sense of what it means to be a
practicing Christian.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
I'm Christian, most all the people I know or have known are Christian. That's quite a few
folks.
You paint with a very broad brush and a warped sense of what it means to be a
practicing Christian.

You must not have read the title of the thread..

Akivah

Someone just posted this in another thread and it is tailor made for this thread as well.

A stereotype of Judaism that needs to go: Judaism thinks they are a superior race predestined by god to greatness.

Demonslayer

Not one? You don't know ONE Christian who is anti-gay? I find that exceedingly hard to believe.

If so few Christians are anti-gay, why do the politicians who pander to the religious right in American invariably take an anti-gay stance? Why did hundreds of thousands flock to Chik-Fil-A a year or so ago, lining up around the block?

I think more likely is that no Christians you know ADMIT they are anti-gay

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Not one? You don't know ONE Christian who is anti-gay? I find that exceedingly hard to believe.

If so few Christians are anti-gay, why do the politicians who pander to the religious right in American invariably take an anti-gay stance? Why did hundreds of thousands flock to Chik-Fil-A a year or so ago, lining up around the block?

I think more likely is that no Christians you know ADMIT they are anti-gay

I am absolutely, positive, that there are many Christians that are anti-gay.
I merely stated that I don't know and who are bent that way.
I've seen t-v evangelists boldly state that being "gay" was a choice and gay people
would burn in hell forever.
Nasty thing for a preacher to say in public.
You could be so right that Christians I know probably wouldn't voice their opinion to me.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
If one is an orthodox Catholic, then that person will inevitably have right-wing, conservative political views.

I, like many practising and avowedly orthodox Catholics, have centre-left and social liberal political beliefs that I regard as being a faithful implementation of Catholic Social Teaching. I always hate it when people assume that there should be a conflict of interest between my faith and my politics. I am proudly Catholic and proudly social-liberal-centre-left.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

If one is an orthodox Catholic, then that person will inevitably have right-wing, conservative political views.

I, like many practising and avowedly orthodox Catholics, have centre-left and social liberal political beliefs that I regard as being a faithful implementation of Catholic Social Teaching. I always hate it when people assume that there should be a conflict of interest between my faith and my politics. I am proudly Catholic and proudly social-liberal-centre-left.

Good for you!!!!! You just made me realized that if I believed in a god, I would be Catholic!!! LOL

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Yeah but, honestly, dont people actually do this? My house looks like the Kaaba before Islam and Muhammad, with idols all over the place. Every room has an idol/statue from Athene to Zeus to Venus. Im not praying to these idols but i know for a fact if i were to pray to them that i would use these beatiful shapes to help my imagination to conceive better of these deities. So ones does infact pray to the idols or atleast uses them as a help to pray.

So you're using the statue as a conveyor of image - sort of as a mental go-between. Even if you believe that deity can inhabit said image whenever they wish - it's still not the physical object itself you're praying to.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Oh, I am sorry, I thought we were looking a stereotypes of (religions that needed to go) rather than (stereotypes of religions) that needed to go.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am absolutely, positive, that there are many Christians that are anti-gay.
I merely stated that I don't know and who are bent that way.
I've seen t-v evangelists boldly state that being "gay" was a choice and gay people
would burn in hell forever.
Nasty thing for a preacher to say in public.
You could be so right that Christians I know probably wouldn't voice their opinion to me.
I wonder.....
Is it also a nasty thing for me to tell Xians that they're not going to Heaven in the after-life?
That seems as negative as telling someone they're going to Hell.

IdiNaPut

Ako možete čitati ovo, govorite hrvatski.
That Sikhs are Muslims because they wear the turban, even though the turban isn't the most common, to the best of my knowledge anyway, in Islamic culture.

The kirpan isn't intended to be used purely as a weapon for simple violence. It's a reminder of a Sikhs warrior status and of the duty to protect the opressed. A Sikh would never draw a blade simply because of anger.

Milton Platt

I wonder.....
Is it also a nasty thing for me to tell Xians that they're not going to Heaven in the after-life?
That seems as negative as telling someone they're going to Hell.

It doesn't matter....they think you are deluded and an agent of the devil, anyway.....