• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stem Cell Research

Should Bush Veto Stem Cell Research?

• Total voters

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
There are many positives to be gained from the research. To veto it 'in case it is abused' would be absurd.

You might as well ban everything that can be abused; cars, firearms.........

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
CaptainXeroid said:
I voted 'No', and Senator Dr. Bill Frist's comments in this article are a key reason why. He has a better grasp of all the issues that revolve around stem cell research than anyone else in the Senate, so if he believes this bill balances the need for research with the need to respect life, then I would discourage Bush from vetoing it.

Excellent point of view. But is the issue really about President Bush or about Christian Conservatives pressuring the GOP? I’m not sure, which is why I’m asking. Conservative Christians in America are a lot like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. They have gained a significant amount of political power by advocating the religious hard-line and supporting politicians who enforce that line.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Radio Frequency X said:
...They have gained a significant amount of political power by advocating the religious hard-line and supporting politicians who enforce that line.
Very good point, and evidenced by the fact that polls suggest that 70% of Americans support stem cell research, yet Bush is threatening to veto it and it appears unlikely Congress could override him.

PHOTOTAKER

i thank the things that are comming from learning about stemm cells are out waying at this point the negitive... the only problem that i see is the religus point of view...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Of course not! The embryos in question are going to be destroyed anyway. Vetoing it to prevent their destruction is absurd.

"We have to veto this, if we don't embryos that are going to be discarded and destroyed anyways will be destroyed, only this time they'll be destroyed for possible advances in science for people with genetic diseases!"

Ody

Thats what happens when a guy runs on family values as his key political dogma... :slap:

finalfrogo

Radio Frequency X said:
This poll makes me feel a great deal of hope, sadly, President Bush is going to do what he wants to do.

He continually ignores the opinion of the American public and centers on his own personal beliefs.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
My mother in law suffers from Parkinson's Disease, a disease that stem cell research could benefit and I still say...NO.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
dawny0826 said:
My mother in law suffers from Parkinson's Disease, a disease that stem cell research could benefit and I still say...NO.
These embryos are going to be destroyed anyway. You'd rather have them destroyed with no benefit to the thousands of people suffering from genetic disease?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Jensa said:
These embryos are going to be destroyed anyway. You'd rather have them destroyed with no benefit to the thousands of people suffering from genetic disease?

I'd rather them not be destroyed at all.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
dawny0826 said:
I'd rather them not be destroyed at all.
The way things are, that's not an option. It's either destroy them to be destroying them or destroy them and benefit from the research.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Jensa said:
The way things are, that's not an option. It's either destroy them to be destroying them or destroy them and benefit from the research.

I know what the options are and my opinion remains the same.

I feel very strongly that the embryos should not be destroyed OR used in research.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I thought I already heard on the news today that Bush has already vetoed on this issue. I could be wrong though.

I don't think he should/should have though. It is beneficial research.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Regardless of whether you want them to not be destroyed or not, they're going to be. Fertility clinics aren't going to keep the embryos stored forever in hopes that someone will pop up and go "hey, I want someone else's embryos!" We have nothing to lose by using them in stem cell research and possibly everything to gain.

Reactions: Ody