• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steam room and sauna

ronki23

Apparently these are meant to help you lose weight but scientifically it does not make sense: your body burns more calories in cold weather because it shivers to warm you up. How can warming your body burn fat as sweating is to cool your body: a dead body is cold.

As for skin, I haven't noticed any benefit to the skin: sweating opens your pores but the bacteria in the pores spreads throughout the skin.

Any benefits from it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Apparently these are meant to help you lose weight but scientifically it does not make sense: your body burns more calories in cold weather because it shivers to warm you up. How can warming your body burn fat as sweating is to cool your body: a dead body is cold.

As for skin, I haven't noticed any benefit to the skin: sweating opens your pores but the bacteria in the pores spreads throughout the skin.

Any benefits from it?
I don't see any aside from the psychological and social benefits. There's probably some physical benefit but I'm not privy to what it is.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You will lose water weight due to perspiration in a sauna or steam bath. But that is only temporary. When you rehydrate you will regain that weight. It can be useful for wrestlers or boxers that need to make weight and then can drink against afterwards. I am unsure of the opening up pores claim. Perhaps blackheads are easier to clean out when one uses one of those. A blackhead is pretty much a clogged pore that also often has a low degree of infection associated with it.

EDIT: Okay, sites vary on whether saunas help acne. Generally they will make you sweat and sweating profusely can "clean out" the pores. One of course needs to wash the sweat off after a sauna.

Proper sauna usage, clean before the sauna first. You don't want to take excessive dirt and smoodge into the sauna. Sweat it out a it. At the very least go for a good rinse afterwards. Jumping into a lake is ideal. Rolling in the snow is not that bad. Been there done that. Your body is so hat that the snow feels good. I did not go hardcore and take a dip in a frozen lake. But a cold water rinse will at least get rid of the sweat.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member

Any benefits from it?
There are a lot of great health benefits to steam rooms and saunas. Losing weight is not one of them. Some wrestlers might temporarily sweat off some pounds before weigh in but that’s it.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Any benefits from it?

They are supposed to be very healthy, as long as it's not so hot that it makes you lightheaded. I don't know what the specific health benefits are.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They are supposed to be very healthy, as long as it's not so hot that it makes you lightheaded. I don't know what the specific health benefits are.
I don't know what temperature that that would be. In the US the maximum temperature in many saunas is my minimum. And 180 F sauna is just starting to feel good, that's 82 C. When I took saunas regularly I preferred 200 F, or 92 C. Put me in a 140 F sauna and I will be shivering.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Sauna is not that liked in Mediterranean countries.
It is a must and a cultural pillar in Scandinavia and in Russia.
Because in winter the cold is unimaginable there, so they need some heat to warm up the bones.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't know what temperature that that would be. In the US the maximum temperature in many saunas is my minimum. And 180 F sauna is just starting to feel good, that's 82 C. When I took saunas regularly I preferred 200 F, or 92 C. Put me in a 140 F sauna and I will be shivering.

I don't know either. I assume that steam temperature could be higher than water temperature and still be healthy. We used to put our hot tub at 105 at the hottest, but never being in a sauna, I don't know a good temperature for saunas. Best time for me to try that is now I guess, eh?