• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staying Hellenic.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've been switching back and forth between Greco-Roman and Norse religion lately. I think that needs to stop. I've decided to stay Hellenic since those are the Gods I feel closest to (especially Zeus and Athena), know the most about and loved in the first place. I just didn't have much of a connection with the Norse Gods - a calling - despite loving the cosmology. It's not something you can force, imo.

Erebus

You do what suits you best. Your religion should enrich your life and only you can decide what works for you and what doesn't.

Incidentally, I'd definitely recommend Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology" if you haven't read it already. It's a fun read :)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You do what suits you best. Your religion should enrich your life and only you can decide what works for you and what doesn't.

Incidentally, I'd definitely recommend Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology" if you haven't read it already. It's a fun read :)
Thanks. I plan to! :)

I've been switching back and forth between Greco-Roman and Norse religion lately. I think that needs to stop. I've decided to stay Hellenic since those are the Gods I feel closest to (especially Zeus and Athena), know the most about and loved in the first place. I just didn't have much of a connection with the Norse Gods - a calling - despite loving the cosmology. It's not something you can force, imo.
Thats fine, have you ever thought about trying Syncretism?

VioletVortex

I understand how you feel, with switching back and forth...it sucks, but my suggestion would be to do what I just did and zoom out so to speak with the terminology you use, only temporarily of course. For example, you could refer to yourself as simply a "Pagan" for the time being, as I did with "Occultism".

You seem to have more history with the Hellenic deities, so I think your decision makes sense.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

I understand how you feel. I've been sorely tempted to convert to Zoroastrianism for some time now but I feel in my heart that the Greek gods I've learned more about are my gods. That doesn't stop me from worshipping Ahura Mazda along side them though - polytheism's a wonderful thing :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure you're aware of this, but I think it's worth remembering that there's no rule in polytheism that says "you have to stick to some historical assemblage of gods and cannot deviate from that upon pain of some such dire consequence." You're allowed to follow the flow of inspiration where it takes you. I suppose if you're wanting to be a traditionalist-style recon, you must choose to place some limitations on yourself, but that is still precisely that - a choice.

All that said, it sounds to me that the inspiration for you isn't flowing in the direction of what we call the Norse gods anyway. You've got this figured out for yourself, and these are some good lessons that others might draw some wisdom from too. :D

Cassandra

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I think it's worth remembering that there's no rule in polytheism that says "you have to stick to some historical assemblage of gods and cannot deviate from that upon pain of some such dire consequence." You're allowed to follow the flow of inspiration where it takes you. I suppose if you're wanting to be a traditionalist-style recon, you must choose to place some limitations on yourself, but that is still precisely that - a choice.

All that said, it sounds to me that the inspiration for you isn't flowing in the direction of what we call the Norse gods anyway. You've got this figured out for yourself, and these are some good lessons that others might draw some wisdom from too. :D

profile now says:
Religion:Abrahamic monotheism / studying Islam