• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staying alive

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Most of us will no doubt have a First Aid tome in our possession, especially if not living alone but probably so even if alone - for those occasions where help is not immediately available, where we might be in more remote locations, or simply to know what to do in most such emergencies. Apart from a general First Aid Manual, I used to have one aimed at Mountaineering but mostly I was never in such remote locations, apart from in winter where there might be few about in mountain areas. And this was long before mobile phones were available. Nowadays, it is probably in long distance yachting that some knowledge over and above the normal emergencies that occur would be seen as being useful and perhaps essential.

I buy lots of books from one supplier that discounts them often to less than half-price, and seeing one as to medical emergencies at sea, I bought it more out of curiosity. Given that I have no intention of ever sailing again, and haven't done so for many decades, although I did pursue the option of a round-the-world trip at one time. This book, first published in 2008, would no doubt have been useful - and even as to those not sailing:

Skipper's Medical Emergency Handbook (2018) by Dr S. Briggs and Dr C. Mackenzie.

So what books in the same line do you have and/or would recommend?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not read these books. I have sold medicines and belong to a family which have doctors and dentists. Moreover, I am a science buff, so I know things, and keep it up to date with further reading.
I keep Sorbitrate with me (history of heart attack in family), but in my discussions with doctors, I have come to know that giving or taking Sorbitrate during a heart attack may not be the best thing to do. It can reduce blood pressure and aggravate the problem. The best thing is to reach a hospital as early as possible (and let qualified people do whatever, if, is needed).

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I do not read these books. I have sold medicines and belong to a family which have doctors and dentists. Moreover, I am a science buff, so I know things, and keep it up to date with further reading.
I keep Sorbitrate with me (history of heart attack in family), but in my discussions with doctors, I have come to know that giving or taking Sorbitrate during a heat attack may not be the best thing to do. It can reduce blood pressure and aggravate the problem. The best thing is to reach a hospital as early as possible.
Yeah, best to get the experts involved as soon as possible. Fortunately my only such experiences - helicopter rescue from a mountaineering accident - was not that serious. I have seen many such incidents too and rescue services normally being at hand although some friends made their way off the mountain before being taken to hospital - pre-mobiles again. On a yacht one is often out of reach of such services though - often being off the shipping routes too - hence the more detailed information in such books as mentioned.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Maybe I missed this somewhere in the OP, but I've heard that if you find yourself having to give CPR, the song "staying alive" has the right beat to help you know how fast you should press the person's heart.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Maybe I missed this somewhere in the OP, but I've heard that if you find yourself having to give CPR, the song "staying alive" has the right beat to help you know how fast you should press the person's heart.
Yep. And if you don't like the BGs, try some Queen:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes, this is so I believe, and I could have chosen a video showing this but the first one is funnier. :D