• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting Yet Another Religion

Ellen Brown

It's become clear to me that every belief system I've investigated has its blind spots. Most are not tolerant of errant thinking. Of course there are the Universalists, and at some time, I may look at them. I was startled and confused that they accept Muslims and Buddhists and others, along with Christians, but I do not know if they'll take Jews.

In frustration, I've thought about starting my own belief system, but then I'd have to cope with those with a high need for order that could not tolerate my love of chaos. I'm most certainly not an Atheist, but like talking to them if they are not all shouty and mad. Maybe I've become an Agnostic?

It seems that Science and Theology must establish a civil relationship if either are to survive, and that means respecting each other. I think the evidence demands it.

Hmmm, I think I'll go find some Peach Schnapps.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Actually, Ellen, I think Unitarian Universalism would be pretty much perfect for you. If I were you, I'd definitely look into it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It seems that Science and Theology must establish a civil relationship if either are to survive, and that means respecting each other. I think the evidence demands it.

Personally I'm on the side of science describes the world that God created. In other words, science is about how things work and not about the meaning and purpose of life.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Actually, Ellen, I think Unitarian Universalism would be pretty much perfect for you. If I were you, I'd definitely look into it.

I'm not very religious, but if I were, I'd probably go with the Americanized Christianity taught by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. ...:)

Ellen Brown

Personally I'm on the side of science describes the world that God created. In other words, science is about how things work and not about the meaning and purpose of life.

Yes, and it seems that Quantum Physics describes some of the mechanisms that God and his fellow beings use.

Ellen Brown

I'm not very religious, but if I were, I'd probably go with the Americanized Christianity taught by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. ...:)

My major issue with the Mormons is that they don't actually want me, except as the inferior barn slave.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
My major issue with the Mormons is that they don't actually want me, except as the inferior barn slave.

The Mormons who visit with me are very friendly. However, I've noticed they always travel in pairs of two highly attractive young men. I suspect the Church of LDS has some sort of secretive male modeling recruitment program where they try to exploit the attractiveness of young men recruiters to win them converts.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

The Mormons who visit with me are very friendly. However, I've noticed they always travel in pairs of two highly attractive young men. I suspect the Church of LDS has some sort of secretive male modeling recruitment program where they try to exploit the attractiveness of young men to win them converts.

This is not a criticism of the Mormon church. There are both male and female Missionary pairs, though the young women seem not to be sent into the danger that the men are. They are conditioned and schooled their whole lives to mirror friendliness, and it is genuine. It is painful and makes me feel tearful to describe some of the harsh experiences I've had, yet the pleasant ones are in the majority and leave me feeling confused and dangerously depressed at times. Were I normal there would not be a problem perhaps.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
No kidding? Well, that's nice to hear, but quite a surprise. I mean, it's something I don't hear every day. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Mormons who visit with me are very friendly. However, I've noticed they always travel in pairs of two highly attractive young men. I suspect the Church of LDS has some sort of secretive male modeling recruitment program where they try to exploit the attractiveness of young men recruiters to win them converts.
Actually, there are a whole lot of very average-looking young men on LDS missions, plus a whole lot of average-looking your women as well as quite a few retired couples. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It is painful and makes me feel tearful to describe some of the harsh experiences I've had, yet the pleasant ones are in the majority and leave me feeling confused and dangerously depressed at times. Were I normal there would not be a problem perhaps.
This makes me SOOOOO sad. You have no idea how my heart aches for what you've been through in dealing with some of the not-so-nice members of the Church. I wish we could meet sometime, Ellen. I'd do my best to make up for some of the pain.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
This is not a criticism of the Mormon church. There are both male and female Missionary pairs, though the young women seem not to be sent into the danger that the men are. They are conditioned and schooled their whole lives to mirror friendliness, and it is genuine. It is painful and makes me feel tearful to describe some of the harsh experiences I've had, yet the pleasant ones are in the majority and leave me feeling confused and dangerously depressed at times. Were I normal there would not be a problem perhaps.

I think Mormons are taught Jesus Christ will meet his closest followers somewhere in Missouri during the supposed Second Coming. I've lived in Missouri and have traveled throughout most of this state. Imo, It's mostly a beautiful place, but there's nothing especially extraordinaire anywhere there that'd compel Jesus Christ to rendezvous with his closest friends. Also, I'm very curious what occurs with their highly secretive ceremonies held in their Temple's Room reserved strictly for their highest ranked members. Do you know what really goes on there?

Maybe, Katzpur knows more about this?

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Actually, there are a whole lot of very average-looking young men on LDS missions, plus a whole lot of average-looking your women as well as quite a few retired couples. :D

The elders visiting my neighborhood are hardly elderly....:D

I've been very curious what actually occurs with the Church of LDS's highly secretive ceremonies held in the Temple's Room reserved strictly for the Latter Day Saint's highest ranked members. Do you happen to know what really goes on there?

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I've been very curious what actually occurs with the Church of LDS's highly secretive ceremonies held in the Temple's Room reserved strictly for the Latter Day Saint's highest ranked members. Do you happen to know what really goes on there?
Yes, I do, because I've often participated in them. But, trust me, I'm certainly not any higher-ranking than anybody else. Here's a link for you. It's not going to give you much in terms of detail, but it will answer the basic question of why we have temples and what they're used for. Here are a few paragraphs I wrote up for someone years and years ago:

Like our regular churches (our regular meetinghouses), our temples are places where we go to learn and to worship. Unlike our regular churches, they are places where only those who have demonstrated their willingness to live their lives according to a particular standard of worthiness are allowed. In other words, you might think of a temple as sort of an “institute of higher learning” with respect to spiritual knowledge. It is in our temples that we make covenants with God, a covenant, of course, being a two-way promise or mutual agreement. Consequently, we believe that when we live up to the promises we make in the temple, God will in turn grant us certain blessings. We refer to this covenant-making ordinance as the Endowment. We believe that both the covenants and the blessing associated with them to be eternal in nature. Many of them serve to unite families not only for this life but for the next as well.

Most people imagine that a temple looks much like a cathedral inside. After all, from the outside, there is a certain resemblance. In our temples, however, there is no one large room like the nave of a cathedral. Rather there are many rooms (170 in the Salt Lake Temple -- the Salt Lake Temple being only one of over 150 temples worldwide), each designed for a specific function. There are, for instance, fourteen rooms in the Salt Lake Temple that are used exclusively for marriages. We call them “sealing rooms” because we believe that marriages performed in our temples “seal” a couple and their posterity together forever. A Latter-day Saint temple wedding is beautiful. The couple kneels together and holds hands across a velvet and lace covered alter. When the individual officiating pronounces them husband and wife, he states that their marriage will endure “for time and all eternity” as opposed to “until death do you part” or "as long as you both shall live." On either side of the room there are large mirrors, directly across from one another. What do you see when you look in a mirror which reflects another mirror? You see an image which appears to go on forever. This is, of course, symbolic of the covenant we make in the temple when we marry there.

Another important and unique function of our temples is to enable us to do vicarious work for those of our ancestors who have gone before us. This work would include baptism, the endowment and eternal marriage. We are prohibited from discussing the details of these ordinances with those who have not participated in them themselves. As a matter of fact, they are so sacred to us that we don't even talk about them among ourselves outside of the temple.

Not all members of our Church have proven themselves worthy of the blessings the Temple offers. The fact that a person is a baptized member of the Church doesn’t mean that that individual is committed to living up to the required standard of obedience that entrance to the temple requires. All Latter-day Saints are encouraged to strive for that commitment and worthiness, however. I hold a current, valid Temple Recommend that entitles me to attend any of the Church’s more than 100 temples worldwide. Every two years, I need to renew this recommend. I do so by requesting a meeting with either my Bishop or one of his counselors. (These three men are the leaders of an individual LDS Ward, or congregation – much like a parish.) The person I meet with will ask me a series of questions. I’ve been asked these many, many times, so I ought to be able to remember most of them. They run pretty much along these lines:

Do you believe in God, the Eternal Father, in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost?

Do you have a firm testimony of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ?

Do you sustain President Russell M. Nelson as Prophet, Seer and Revelator, and as the only individual holding the Keys of the Kingdom of God on the earth today?

Do you pay a full tithing? (This would be 10% of our income.)

Do you strive to attend your Church meetings?

Are you morally clean? (To us this means no pre-marital or extra-marital sexual relations of any kind.)

Do you live the Word of Wisdom? (This is our health code which prohibits alcohol, tobacco, stimulants and illegal drugs.)

Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow men?

Is there anything in your relationship with members of your family that is amiss?

Do you affiliate with members of any apostate group?

After I have been interviewed by a member of my Bishopric, I must meet with a member of my Stake Presidency. The Stake President and his counselors preside over about six to eight wards, making it roughly equivalent to a diocese. He asks me the same questions. If I am able to honestly answer them to the satisfaction of both of these men, I am given a Temple Recommend. I have to carry it with me whenever I go into the Temple, since I won’t get beyond the front door without it.

Ellen Brown

I think Mormons are taught Jesus Christ will meet his closest followers somewhere in Missouri during the supposed Second Coming. I've lived in Missouri and have traveled throughout most of this state. Imo, It's mostly a beautiful place, but there's nothing especially extraordinaire anywhere there that'd compel Jesus Christ to rendezvous with his closest friends. Also, I'm very curious what occurs with their highly secretive ceremonies held in their Temple's Room reserved strictly for their highest ranked members. Do you know what really goes on there?

Maybe, Katzpur knows more about this?

I am sure that she does. OR you can just go to YouTube. Most of it is supported in the Bible to some extent.