• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting an international meditation group

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Outside of this forum, I have been contacted about if i am interested in starting an international meditation group. and in this regard, I would like to ask for suggestions on how to manage the task of getting the correct time zones and finding the best day in week or weekend to do this meditation.
Maybe I would need to put up two sessions per day so everyone can benefit from it?

Another issue is that not everyone is meditating in the same style that I normally meditate, so would this mean people could not take part? or would it be better to use for example meditation on breath? (where the attention is on in and out-breath)

Would it be weird to use example skype or facetime for this purpose if people have a question before or after the meditation?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Outside of this forum, I have been contacted about if i am interested in starting an international meditation group. and in this regard, I would like to ask for suggestions on how to manage the task of getting the correct time zones and finding the best day in week or weekend to do this meditation.
Maybe I would need to put up two sessions per day so everyone can benefit from it?

Another issue is that not everyone is meditating in the same style that I normally meditate, so would this mean people could not take part? or would it be better to use for example meditation on breath? (where the attention is on in and out-breath)

Would it be weird to use example skype or facetime for this purpose if people have a question before or after the meditation?
please excuse my knee jerk reaction
I can be soooooo naïve and rude
at the same time....

I picture several thousand participants
skyping
and with eyes closed...…..AHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

silent introspective focus
has a point and purpose

but after that immediate notation
what else is there?...…..Ahmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

If someone contacted you about starting this group and you do not know how to proceed, it would be better to tell them you are not sure what to do and need help. Do not take on a job you cannot handle.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If someone contacted you about starting this group and you do not know how to proceed, it would be better to tell them you are not sure what to do and need help. Do not take on a job you cannot handle.
I have the experience within meditation that is needed to teach others, but so far I have only thought one to one or small groups here in Norway. It is the international size of it that can be a challenge. But as far as I know right now, my job would be the teaching part, and others take the technical issues, but it would benefit me and the students if I was aware of how the system worked online.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My Hindu sampradaya does webinars, and they get repeated (live, not taped) 6 hours later, so people around the world all have an opportunity to be live. We are a world-wide congregation in about 15 countries. So before you set a time, get a list of where people participating are from. Then select a time, or maybe two. I assume you want a live session where everyone is at the same time.

It is all a bit weird time wise. We skyped our grandchilren from Mauritius at 7 AM Mauritius time, and 7PM here in Canada. It's natural, out of habit, to think that everyone is on the same time. Multinational tech companies deal with it all the time. One of my sons is in constant communication with a group in Asia and since he's outnumbered, he's the one that has to get up in the middle of the night.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My Hindu sampradaya does webinars, and they get repeated (live, not taped) 6 hours later, so people around the world all have an opportunity to be live. We are a world-wide congregation in about 15 countries. So before you set a time, get a list of where people participating are from. Then select a time, or maybe two. I assume you want a live session where everyone is at the same time.

It is all a bit weird time wise. We skyped our grandchilren from Mauritius at 7 AM Mauritius time, and 7PM here in Canada. It's natural, out of habit, to think that everyone is on the same time. Multinational tech companies deal with it all the time. One of my sons is in constant communication with a group in Asia and since he's outnumbered, he's the one that has to get up in the middle of the night.
This really helped me to realize a few things we must be aware of when this project get started :) Thank you @Vinayaka

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

Create a shared Google calendar or a shared Microsoft calendar. Then have everyone in the group get an email for either service. Then you share the calendar so that everyone may read it, and you use the emails to contact each other. You can also share documents, and those documents can act as a primitive Wiki or notebook. You can also have a shared spreadsheet with a list of users and a column of preferable dates and times. Then instead of querying each person you simply make sure everyone has responded on the spreadsheet, and you can choose common requested times from that spreadsheet.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Create a shared Google calendar or a shared Microsoft calendar. Then have everyone in the group get an email for either service. Then you share the calendar so that everyone may read it, and you use the emails to contact each other. You can also share documents, and those documents can act as a primitive Wiki or notebook. You can also have a shared spreadsheet with a list of users and a column of preferable dates and times. Then instead of querying each person you simply make sure everyone has responded on the spreadsheet, and you can choose common requested times from that spreadsheet.
Thank you :) it's a good idea