• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starbucks Executive Responds to sexist email

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But since I am a foreigner...I need to know what we're discussing here.
This poor Christ was crucified just for saying " tall, blonde, Americano?"

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
But since I am a foreigner...I need to know what we're discussing here.
This poor Christ was massacred just for saying " tall, blonde, Americano?"

Basically I think a lot of this thread agrees with you. Had the salesman said something vulgar, and the executive then said what he did, we would have a thread celebrated by all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think it’s that you could be nice to some people and they’ll scream sexual harassment.
There's a difference between being nice and sexual harassment. I've heard stories of fears and concerns, but hearing stories is the only thing that resembles evidence I've been presented with. Overall, to me it seems hardly any different than conservative Christians screaming foul because when they are told they don't get to run the show anymore or get preferential treatment. They can say no more public prayer in school is an attack on their religion and god all they want, it's not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I mean, the irony of the executive going off on a salesman. I mean, mark my words, within the next year, the executive will be caught doing sexually harassing things - people who are jumpy about innocent comments almost always do.
It does seem to reek of "holier than thou/better than you," (it being made public doesn't help his case) but is it made to provoke and inflame, a vain display of "look at me," or a case of niavity?

There's a difference between being nice and sexual harassment. I've heard stories of fears and concerns, but hearing stories is the only thing that resembles evidence I've been presented with. Overall, to me it seems hardly any different than conservative Christians screaming foul because when they are told they don't get to run the show anymore or get preferential treatment. They can say no more public prayer in school is an attack on their religion and god all they want, it's not.

From my own personal experiences I’ve been accused of harassment 2 times when I did nothing wrong. I’ve seen a lot of stories posted on the web too. But it’s all good. We can have different opinions. I’m sure the reality is somewhere in the middle between really bad and everything is fine.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sounds like the executive found an opportunity
to shine with virtue...for public relations purposes.
(It sounded just too artful & public.)
What!?!?! Are you suggesting that an outstanding business leader might stoop to public relations in order to improve his/her/its/their image???

Why, I am outraged that you think that any leader might use twitter, facebook or other online social media to win brownie points with the public or some portion thereof!!!:confused:o_O:mad::p:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's a play on the old joke that white women like their men like their coffee...hot & black.

Yep, people often forget where jokes come from. And to be fair, if it is not proper for a white male to make the joke that he did then the one in Airplane was "deplorable" as well.

But the salesman should have known better. Not that his joke was terribly out of place, It was aimed at the wrong audience. Starbucks due to their customer base and political stance has to be politically correct to a fault. The salesman should have known better. That line probably worked with more traditional vendors, but it would not work with a company like Starbucks.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yep, people often forget where jokes come from. And to be fair, if it is not proper for a white male to make the joke that he did then the one in Airplane was "deplorable" as well.

But the salesman should have known better. Not that his joke was terribly out of place, It was aimed at the wrong audience. Starbucks due to their customer base and political stance has to be politically correct to a fault. The salesman should have known better. That line probably worked with more traditional vendors, but it would not work with a company like Starbucks.

In any case, Starbucks sickens me... it's nice that they hire LGBTQ+s, but they charge $4 for a drink that isn't even good and is loaded with enough caffeine to keep you awake for three days.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm rather partial to their caramel frappuccino...even if its is overpriced...but I wouldn't buy much else on their menu, and certainly not their coffee...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In any case, Starbucks sickens me... it's nice that they hire LGBTQ+s, but they charge $4 for a drink that isn't even good and is loaded with enough caffeine to keep you awake for three days.

I have not purchase anything from a Starbucks for years and the number of times I have gone to one can be counted on the fingers of one hand. So I am not an expert on their product, but I thought that caffeine was part of the reason for going there.

Shaul

Premium Member
Should I really care what Howard Schultz, who makes $18,000,000, and heads an enterprise that has the chutzpah to charge $4 for a cup of coffee finds offensive?
Hey, Howie, how many third world women does Starbucks exploit to make its coffee?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hey, Howie, how many third world women does Starbucks exploit to make its coffee?
More than hell publically admit. And of course of he saus anything about it will be this and that companies, claim he had no idea, and shame on everyone except those such as himself who knowingly purchase from such sorces.

LiveBetterLife

From the salesman:

"Also, I can't help myself, what's your go-to order at Starbucks? I like my women like I like my Starbucks Coffee order: Tall, Blonde, Americano..."

The executive's response:

You lost me with this line. Tech can be a challenging place for women. Your statement perpetuates the mindset that women are here for our entertainment. I don't believe that to be true. This type of statement also makes a few dangerous assumptions: that I'm heterosexual and will relate to the objectification of women, that I'm cisgender and haven't personally been objectified/alienated, and that I'd feel comfortable objectifying women behind closed doors.

One of my company's values, that I am deeply committed to upholding is 'creating a culture of warmth and belonging, where everyone is welcome'. I'm also dedicated to increasing diversity in technology. In order to increase the number of women and minorities in this field, we need to foster an environment where everyone feels safe and supported.

A Starbucks Executive Got a Disturbing Email From A Salesman. His Reply Was Stunning (and Public)

What a bunch of ****.

LiveBetterLife

Should I really care what Howard Schultz, who makes $18,000,000, and heads an enterprise that has the chutzpah to charge $4 for a cup of coffee finds offensive?

Probably not very many.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I don't see what's wrong with asking for a sammich after I've:

Mowed the lawn
Folded my half of the laundry
Prepared, cooked, and cleaned up the days meals.
And gave a full body message with some light jazz music in the background.

A sammich, a beer, and some lurving doesn't sound like a bad reward at the end of the day to me. :shrug:

Slide in my DMs if interested.;)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I don't see what's wrong with asking for a sammich after I've:

Mowed the lawn
Folded my half of the laundry
Prepared, cooked, and cleaned up the days meals.
And gave a full body message with some light jazz music in the background.

A sammich, a beer, and some lurving doesn't sound like a bad reward at the end of the day to me. :shrug:

Slide in my DMs if interested.;)

*A quarter of the RF male population slides into Enoch's DMs*

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What!?!?! Are you suggesting that an outstanding business leader might stoop to public relations in order to improve his/her/its/their image???

Why, I am outraged that you think that any leader might use twitter, facebook or other online social media to win brownie points with the public or some portion thereof!!!:confused:o_O:mad::p:eek::oops::rolleyes:
What was I thinking!
Oh...I wasn't.