• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
See, I like Brent Weeks. Though all I know is the Night Angel Trilogy.
Yeah people seemed mixed on the Night Angel trilogy. I kind of dug it. Just a fun grimy story.
Everyone seemed to then praise the Light Bringer series but I never go that into it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Game of Thrones has very little magic, all the humanoids are human, and it largely and mostly lacks the things that turn non-nerds off and away from a more proper high fantasy, such as the Forgotten Realms.

High fantasy, and low fantasy. All good.
'light' and 'proper'? *Vomits*

Just my opinion

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
See, you sound like a low fantasy dude. A high fantasy guy would have said...

*Sheathes Dragonsbane, his mighty broadsword +2*
See my broadsword is actually called Stormbreaker. But alas it’s at the blacksmiths at the moment for repairs following my last epic battle. :shrug:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
See my broadsword is actually called Stormbreaker. But alas it’s at the blacksmiths at the moment for repairs following my last epic battle. :shrug:

You're making it hard for me to peg you down, and place you in a little pigeonhole here.
In high fantasy, your shining sword will likely slice straight through a dragon's plate with nary a nick. You also get to use words like 'nary'.
In low fantasy, your sword is old, needs rehandling, and is not shiny at all. But that's because you blacken the blade. All the better to stab someone in the back.

If your sword is at the blacksmiths, but is also called Stormbreaker...*ponders*...could you change the name to 'Windbreaker'? Then you're moving firmly into comic fantasy territory.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
You're making it hard for me to peg you down, and place you in a little pigeonhole here.
In high fantasy, your shining sword will likely slice straight through a dragon's plate with nary a nick. You also get to use words like 'nary'.
In low fantasy, your sword is old, needs rehandling, and is not shiny at all. But that's because you blacken the blade. All the better to stab someone in the back.

If your sword is at the blacksmiths, but is also called Stormbreaker...*ponders*...could you change the name to 'Windbreaker'? Then you're moving firmly into comic fantasy territory.
I rarely if ever fit into a pigeonhole. In fact I refuse to be put in one.

I like using words like nary though.

Le sigh. Stormbreaker it is.

Shad

Veteran Member
Including all

In my opinion Star Wars due the quantity of licensed material and fan work that has variety and world building. I am a product fan not a convention fan. I rather have new products (books, games, movies, tv, etc) of vary quality than a rare high quality product here and there. Tolkien Estates is not as free with it's licensing as Lucas was thus limits what is produced and when. Star Wars has a lot of history "blocs" so is not limited to specifics of the original author(s); KOTOR, TOR.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion Star Wars due the quantity of licensed material and fan work that has variety and world building. I am a product fan not a convention fan. I rather have new products (books, games, movies, tv, etc) of vary quality than a rare high quality product here and there. Tolkien Estates is not as free with it's licensing as Lucas was thus limits what is produced and when. Star Wars has a lot of history "blocs" so is not limited to specifics of the original author(s); KOTOR, TOR.
I do admit that the “non canon canon” Star Was stuff is pretty awesome.

Shad

Veteran Member
I do admit that the “non canon canon” Star Was stuff is pretty awesome.

The use of the Unknown Region in the current trilogy it opens the door some content being used in some manner. Thrawn as per Rebels. The Emperor's fleet (trailer) looks like a rewrite of Dark Empire's Byss Fleet with the World Devastators being combined into the ISDs.