• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standard puja?

Shrew

Is there something like a standard puja?
Can I do puja in my native, non-Indian language?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Standard, popular way to do puja, as the majority will do; but that does not bar you from improvisation. Some times the variations have been radical, but that is Hinduism.

TravisJC

I am very new to doing puja and let me tell you, the best way to figure out what you like is simply look and listen to pujas to your Ishta-Deva and see what you like or don't like. If you'd like to do your puja in your native tongue that is completely fine, when I don't know a certain mantra or procedure in sanskrit I just speak to Lord Shiva in enlgish. I'm very overwhelmed since there are so many ways to do shiva abhishekam but you just have to find what fits you. Honestly, you can make your puja anyway you'd like as long as it is from the heart -- God will understand. :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. I am here to learn as well!

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I am most familiar with what is known as the 16 step puja. But I believe there are longer ones with more steps. I never do the full 16 steps because I don't have access to many of the items that are offered during the puja, so I cut those steps out.

Probably the most basic thing you can do is offer the deepa, fruit, water and incense while chanting the name of the God/Goddess.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
I feel weird inviting God to come sit and because, culturally, I do not offer my guests anything but a drink and some food when they visit I feel weird going through all those steps...

All I do is occasionally offer flowers, light at least three incense sticks (because I have many varieties of Shakti on my altar) and light the lamp. Sometimes I sing aarti. As I believe Ma is all around me, I don't really believe I need to invite her into the murtis as She is always present. I suppose it's nice to be formal but I have a desire to be RIGHT and CORRECT when I do religious things and as I can't get my head around even simplified puja (I always feel like I'm being stupid of just acting) I just do my own little rituals.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam

Like Vinayaka said, there is no standard puja.

Here is what I usually do when it's not formal :

Peace invocation
All devata and rshis reverence
Meditation on Ganeshji
Sankalpam (resolution to do the puja to its end)
Offering of the lion shaped throne
Offering of water for feet, then hands, then drink.
Offering of clothes, yagnopavitam and gems (symbolic offering of unbroken turmeric rice, mangalam artham akshatam)
Offering of water to drink again, then offering of sacred substances for forehead.
Pushpamala time: recitation of names with offering of flowers.
Then offering of dhoop and diya (don't forget to ring the bell !)
After that, another drink.
Then another sip of drink.
Here comes the aarti and offering of camphor. After the offering of camphor, another sip of drink and blessing of the flame before passing it to the guests.
Then it'sGaneshji favorite time: naivediam !
Mantra pushpanjali time.
Then it's time to say goodbye and ask for forgiveness of any mistake.

Basically all puja are the same thing deep down. There are just different ways to do it.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel weird inviting God to come sit and because, culturally, I do not offer my guests anything but a drink and some food when they visit I feel weird going through all those steps...

All I do is occasionally offer flowers, light at least three incense sticks

Similar here. I light the lamp, an incense stick, a cup of water, try to have a flower and/or fruit, maybe a snack. With each one I say
om sri krishnaya namaha deepam darshayami
om sri krishnaya namaha dhoopam agrapayami
om sri krishnaya namaha achamaniyam samarpayami
om sri krishnaya namaha pushpam samarpayami
om sri krishnaya namaha phalam samarpayami
om sri krishnaya namaha naivedyam samarpayami
om sri krishnaya namaha akshatham samarpayami (if I have colored rice ready)
om sri krishnaya namaha kshamapanam samarpayami

Some mantras and slokas, and that's about it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:) The elaborate pujas start with worshiping the ground where it will be conducted (Bhumi Pujan). Asking for peace from all directions (Digpujan). Then worshiping the divine guardian of the place (Kshetrapala). Then cleansing ones own body and our monkey minds to concentrate on the Puja. Very methodical all the time.

Shantanu

Is there something like a standard puja?
Can I do puja in my native, non-Indian language?
Yes there is a standard puja, it comes from having a bath and then heading for the puja room daily, offering flowers to God and saying ones prayers by high degree of mental focus on God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
:) The elaborate pujas start with worshiping the ground where it will be conducted (Bhumi Pujan). Asking for peace from all directions (Digpujan). Then worshiping the divine guardian of the place (Kshetrapala). Then cleansing ones own body and our monkey minds to concentrate on the Puja. Very methodical all the time.

In agamic temples the priests will give a precise location and time, so the devas coming also know where to come. Any nearby rivers, mountains, the precise times etc. Apparently time and space are different on their side, so an explanation is in order.

But that's not your simple home puja, so I digress.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Time and space coordinates that are mentioned in a detailed ritual:
Location coordinate: Continent (Jambudwipe, i.e., Indian subcontinent), Country (Bharat Deshe), State (Delhi Rajye), City or locality (Hari Nagare)
Time coordinates: Year (Samvatsare - prefereably two - Vikramaditya, Kaliyuga) Month (Mase), Phase of the Moon (Pakshe), Day (insert vasare), Date (Tithou)
Stellar coordinates: Zodiac (Rashikate), Stellar positions (Nakshatre),
Details of the person for whom the ritual is being conducted: Lineage (Gotre), Great grandson of (insert name, Prapautrah) Grandson of (insert name, Poutrah), Son of (insert Name, Putrah), Such a such person (insert your name) of the caste (insert name - for a brahmin like me it would be 'Sharmanah')

For what we may not know, the word 'amuka' is used. I hope I have not forgotten anything. Absolutely fantastic. No chance that Gods get confused in reaching my place at the right time? That, is an invitation. Please note that I am writing this for fun. :D :D

Oh yes, forgot one parameter: Phase of the sun - Ascending (Uttarayane, winter solstice to Summer solstice), Descending (Dakshinayane, summer solstice to winter solstice).

Last edited:

Yogi1054

Shakti
I think puja can be a very personal experience - different things for different people!

Full morning puja at the temples I attend is just as beautiful as the puja I attend at ,y yoga teachers house

Each to their own

Shantanu

I think puja can be a very personal experience - different things for different people!

Full morning puja at the temples I attend is just as beautiful as the puja I attend at ,y yoga teachers house

Each to their own
Yes, I do continuous puja 24 hours a day and do not do a standard puja. My puja is to follow truth, and write down truth in a Dairy form as a conversation with God.