• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stairway to Heaven?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I hear it.

It's a common practice for musicians to "steal" elements from other songs, so I don't really have a problem with it. Heck, all art is basically "stealing" from other art. It's like Picasso said: "good artists copy, great artists steal."

I'll bet if you looked hard enough with this song as a base, you'll find an even earlier song that's similar.

kashmir

Lol, its a common cord progression, perhaps it inspired Stairway, but it surely isn't the same song.
There are only 7 cords, if bands wanted to, they could find all kinds of riffs that sound the same as their song.
It doesn't make it plagiarism.
Tens of thousands of songs have the exact same cord progressions, you cant tell because the words are different and the style is completely different.
The song came out in 71, kind of odd they waited 43 years to sue.

I listened a few times, it sounds a heck of a lot like pink floyd too
this riff in the middle of "is there anybody out there"
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? - YouTube

Actually, if you take parts of both riffs, it becomes a lot more of the Taurus song, but its still missing a lot of in between guitar parts that Taurus has in theirs.
Which is why it reminded me of pink floyd as well, some of those parts are in the Floyd song.

If this is plagiarism, then almost every single band is guilty of it.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
If this is plagiarism, then almost every single band is guilty of it.

It is plagiarism and credit to the original writers should be given; it doesn't detract from Led Zep's music (Just ordered the first three re-releases myself) but at least shared writing credit's would have been nice.

My all time favourite band are equally guilty, The Fall have copied many a song without credit, although they do give credits in other cases...strange.