• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Peter's Cross (the inverted cross)

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So many groups have recognized the inverted cross as a Christian symbol, I sign that one is not even worthy to die like Christ.

However, I recently heard that Peter made no such choice, that he was crucified upside down to mock the crucification and that the church spun it in their favor (something we know they literally constantly do). It was also under the Christian hating Nero so would make sense if he was mocking Peter.

Does anyone know which is the true history and symbolism of the inverted cross?

David T

Premium Member
So many groups have recognized the inverted cross as a Christian symbol, I sign that one is not even worthy to die like Christ.

However, I recently heard that Peter made no such choice, that he was crucified upside down to mock the crucification and that the church spun it in their favor (something we know they literally constantly do). It was also under the Christian hating Nero so would make sense if he was mocking Peter.

Breathing I always practice lots of breathing try and get away walk on the beach its all very nice. I find the woods th ideal place to discover what's important! There should be more church services in nature seems it would clear up a lot.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I always have it pegged as a being a symbol of the devil.

I don't know much about the primary evidence, but it could also just be hagiography, it's hard to tell with sources written a bit later about important saints. Historical writings generally weren't aiming at objectivity back then, writing about saints was to create role models of piety.

Duke_Leto

People say a lot of things. I doubt there's any evidence at all, recorded anywhere, supporting what you heard; it's probably fantastical conjecture, and probably from someone who isn't very familiar with Christian history/thought. Though, as @Augustus said, it's difficult to verify many details about the lives even of recent saints, let alone the apostles', since most of the relevant details that exist come from the Church, all of them consistently characterize Peter as an apostle and friend of Jesus. Him mocking the crucifixion is incongruous with everything ever recorded about him. Sure, ancient chroniclers could have all lied, or had their works doctored, but so could have everyone who never wrote about how Queen Victoria was secretly a transvestite. At some point, if every source agrees on basic tenets of a figure's personality, it's generally best to take them at their word.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If Peter was a grown up in ~30CE , it's unlikely that the Romans would have even noticed Christianity, much less bothered to mock it, during his lifetime.
But if Peter were a violent anti-Roman Jew, which there were many of at the time, he would likely get the same treatment as Jesus. Crucifixion.

The Romans weren't likely to worry about some Jewish heretical movement. But they did take treason very seriously. That's why I think that Jesus and His following were violent guerrillas, terrorists in the modern vernacular.
Or freedom fighters if you prefer.
Tom

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
People say a lot of things. I doubt there's any evidence at all, recorded anywhere, supporting what you heard; it's probably fantastical conjecture, and probably from someone who isn't very familiar with Christian history/thought. Though, as @Augustus said, it's difficult to verify many details about the lives even of recent saints, let alone the apostles', since most of the relevant details that exist come from the Church, all of them consistently characterize Peter as an apostle and friend of Jesus. Him mocking the crucifixion is incongruous with everything ever recorded about him. Sure, ancient chroniclers could have all lied, or had their works doctored, but so could have everyone who never wrote about how Queen Victoria was secretly a transvestite. At some point, if every source agrees on basic tenets of a figure's personality, it's generally best to take them at their word.

You misunderstand. I'm asking if Nero forced Peter to be crucified that way to mock Christ. Obviously Peter himself didn't mock Christ.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Him mocking the crucifixion is incongruous with everything ever recorded about him.
Tradition holds that Saint Peter asked to be crucified upside down out of humility, believing himself unworthy to die in the same way as Christ.

You misunderstand. I'm asking if Nero forced Peter to be crucified that way to mock Christ. Obviously Peter himself didn't mock Christ.
Even if that were the case, the inverted cross as a symbol of the papacy would still be appropriate.

Last edited: