• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Patrick's Confession

No*s

Captain Obvious
udn01fp.jpg

The Confession of St. Patrick

I have here a portion of St. Patrick's life, by his own words. The full document is here. I would reccomend reading the whole thing.

I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many, had for father the deacon Calpurnius, son of the late Potitus, a priest, of the settlement [vicus] of Bannavem Taburniae; he had a small villa nearby where I was taken captive. I was at that time about sixteen years of age. I did not, indeed, know the true God; and I was taken into captivity in Ireland with many thousands of people, according to our deserts, for quite drawn away from God, we did not keep his precepts, nor were we obedient to our priests who used to remind us of our salvation. And the Lord brought down on us the fury of his being and scattered us among many nations, even to the ends of the earth, where I, in my smallness, am now to be found among foreigners.

He himself said through the prophet: `Call upon me in the day of' trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.' And again: `It is right to reveal and publish abroad the works of God.'

I am imperfect in many things, nevertheless I want my brethren and kinsfolk to know my nature so that they may be able to perceive my soul's desire.

I am not ignorant of what is said of my Lord in the Psalm: `You destroy those who speak a lie.' And again: `A lying mouth deals death to the soul.' And likewise the Lord says in the Gospel: `On the day of judgment men shall render account for every idle word they utter.'

So it is that I should mightily fear, with terror and trembling, this judgment on the day when no one shall be able to steal away or hide, but each and all shall render account for even our smallest sins before the judgment seat of Christ the Lord.

This is a man both Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism share, and his holiday nears (by the RC calander). I feel it would be appropriate to place a reference to his life in this forum, so that both our members may enjoy it.​

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Coincidentally, I am sure you will be aware that St Patrick is the 'Patron Saint of the Irish', and today (17th March) is St Patrick's day in Ireland.

I am sure you must all be aware of this, as I understan that a lot of Americans have Irish ancestry in their blood. (If I am wrong, please let me know). Anyway, if it is appropriate, " Happy St Patricks day to all who celebrate it!!:)

No*s

Captain Obvious
Yes, I'm well aware of it. That's part of the reason I chose to put him up today ;). Today's the day we celebrate the Patron Saint.