• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Louis couple pulls guns on protesters marching to mayor's house

PureX

Veteran Member
Trying to quantify the number of broken windows that justifies shooting
strikes me as avoiding the issue of using deadly force to prevent loss of
property.....& you may read that to mean significant loss hereafter.
It seems it's you who is avoiding the issue of how much property damage (or the threat thereof) would you require to warrant killing someone? What is this "judgment" of yours based on, then?
This isn't about logic.
It's about values. I value the life of a would be destroyer of my
property less than the value of the property. I'll avoid taking that
life if possible, but not at the expense of the property.
So it's all about you, then. Other people are irrelevant in comparison to you and what you presume to 'own' and care about.
There is no answer more fundamental than the preceding values
I gave. What is your "logic" for placing so little value on my property
that I cannot use deadly force against violent perps bent on mayhem
insist upon it coming to that?
Well, for one, it's not really your property. You don't own the Earth or any part of it. At best, you are being given the right of control by your fellow humans, by mutual agreement. So if those fellow humans choose to rescind that agreement, even though you don't like or agree with it, they are as justified in their actions as you think you are.
You think it's only about money?
There's also independence, honor, making a living, having something
for retirement, & incentivizing peaceful behavior by those bent on carnage.
It's about selfishness. It's about placing yourself above others to such a degree that even what you presume to possess is more important to you than the lives of others. Even as all you presume to possess only exists because other humans have enabled and allowed it.
You keep talking of "logic" as though you have it, but I don't.
What are your premises?
(There is where we might differ.)
How do you reason from them?
The logic against your selfishness is that you are a member of a collective, cooperative species, and yet think and behave as if you are a self-contained individual. You take and take from the collective and then presume to 'own' everything you've taken as if you attained it by yourself. Which basically makes you a parasite. Toxic to your own kind. And gives them the right to take it back, or take it away from you if they choose. And negates your delusional right to protect it as if it were part of yourself. You are wrong. It was never yours to begin with, except by the agreement of your fellow humans. Everything you have is because of them. And should they decide in a moment anger to take it away from you, they can.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems it's you who is avoiding the issue of how much property damage (or the threat thereof) would you require to warrant killing someone? What is this "judgment" of yours based on, then?
Applying reductionism....
My judgement is what it is, ie, I value my property more than the lives of
malefactors who would destroy it. You repeatedly ask me to quantify it,
but that is unreasonable regarding something so subjective.
So it's all about you, then.
Of course it is.
I won't substitute someone else's judgement for my own.
This is just as your values are all about what you want
The difference is...
I don't expect you to change your values to mine.
But you believe that I should change my values to yours.
You've made no compelling argument for that.
Other people are irrelevant in comparison to you and what you presume to 'own' and care about.
That is a mis-statement of my stated view.
To repeat, I'm loath to harm anyone....even
if circumstances could possibly lead to that.
Well, for one, it's not really your property. You don't own the Earth or any part of it. At best, you are being given the right of control by your fellow humans, by mutual agreement. So if those fellow humans choose to rescind that agreement, even though you don't like or agree with it, they are as justified in their actions as you think you are.
I have clear titles to my real estate, receipts for personal
property, & that most important of legal standards...possession.
It's 9 tenths of the law, they say. And they're right.
(I'm very experienced in the legalities of ownership, &
have fought tooth & nail in court to keep what is mine.)

Your arcane philosophy of ownership runs counter
to mine & to Ameristanian law. While it works well
for you, it cannot be imposed upon others.
It's about selfishness. It's about placing yourself above others to such a degree that even what you presume to possess is more important to you than the lives of others.
Bingo!
But you fail to mention that this doesn't apply to all "others".
Only to those malefactors who would try to destroy what I have.
I do not value their lives as much as my property.
Even as all you presume to possess only exists because other humans have enabled and allowed it.
The logic against your selfishness is that you are a member of a collective, cooperative species, and yet think and behave as if you are a self-contained individual. You take and take from the collective and then presume to 'own' everything you've taken as if you attained it by yourself. Which basically makes you a parasite. Toxic to your own kind. And gives them the right to take it back, or take it away from you if they choose. And negates your delusional right to protect it as if it were part of yourself. You are wrong. It was never yours to begin with, except by the agreement of your fellow humans. Everything you have is because of them. And should they decide in a moment anger to take it away from you, they can.
"Logic"
It is such an over-used & mis-used word.
Where are your premises & logic actually applied to them?
I only see your certainty in your own values, & objection to mine.

Too often on RF, the claim of claim "logic" is merely
a presumption that one has the obvious Truth.
It sounds like.....
"I am right. I am certain. Therefore what I believe must be logical."

Last edited:

wellwisher

The protest organizer said that the protests were non-violent and no threats were made.

The also said that when there was looting and burning near the beginning of this latest Democrat election year scam. If the leaders of the protest said otherwise, they would be vulnerable to domestic terrorism laws. Their Democrat paid lawyers have already prepped them.

This incidence of the couple standing up to the mob, has calmed the mob down. The spoiled children suddenly realized that they need to calm down or the belt is coming off. This scam has already peaked out and is on the decline. Even moderate leftists are getting tired of pretending the angry mob is good. The Democrats may need to go to plan B.

All this expression of violence is designed to intimidate and affect the outcome of the election. Justice for the collusion delusion crimes is about to come and the top Democrat leaders and donors are trying to wiggle free via shows of intimidation. They sucker shot Trump. Trump was staggered but he staying on his feet. Soon it will be his turn to take this best shot. The Democrat leaders are sucking up to the criminals to prepare for a safer time in jail. They do not empathize with victims.

ecco

Veteran Member
They sucker shot Trump. Trump was staggered but he staying on his feet.
Care to be more specific? Trump sucker shoots himself every time he opens his mouth.

Soon it will be his turn to take this best shot.
You mean all this time he hasn't been the best President he could have been? You mean soon he will start to deal with the pandemic like a true leader?

The Democrat leaders are sucking up to the criminals to prepare for a safer time in jail. They do not empathize with victims.
Wow! You really are under his spell. Are you bucking for a job at Fox? If you had been introduced to Jim Jones you would have been handing out the KoolAide.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do you ever wonder why a person works all their lives. It's to build a home.

It's like telling people their savings account and lifelong labor means nothing to them and it's not worth killing over. I digress.
What a sad, pathetic person you describe.

Everyone needs a place to live, and it's fine to take pride in one's home... but for someone to have no higher purpose in their lives than their house and the stuff in it? That's truly sad.

That person has some pretty deep-rooted issues that aren't going to be solved by fending off burglars.