• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Louis couple pulls guns on protesters marching to mayor's house

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Mine are a European species bred out of Sonora. I've never had to smoke, even when shaving bur comb or unwanted queen cells. If they start getting riled, I just give them a break and come back. And I don't service the hive when it's raining or outside foraging time.
I suspect it's only used in bee yards for time critical reasons. Because most hives are less aggressive than a lot of keepers think, I believe.

Again it's instinctual for bees to not fly off the handle (ha, pun) every break in or they'll diminish their numbers too much in the attack.
Veganism considers honey to be the product of human exploitation and so won't consume honey. What is your opinion on this?
Is human bee-keeping detrimental to the world bee population, for some reason?

Human Impact on Bees - The Bee's Knees

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those are your values, & hardly universal.
You believe that you're right, but actually you're just "not even wrong".

I should conduct my affairs by your values, eh?
It takes a misanthropist to think that ones belongings is more valuable than another person. People in societies shouldn't be misanthropists. Societies made up by misanthropists tend to not do well. I would prefer to live in a society that does well. Execution for property damage, let alone before it's even occurred, is a good sign of a sick society.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It takes a misanthropist to think that ones belongings is more valuable than another person.
Oh, Lord....spare me lectures, slings & arrows from people
who have "The Truth", & will brook no disagreement in values.
People in societies shouldn't be misanthropists. Societies made up by misanthropists tend to not do well. I would prefer to live in a society that does well. Execution for property damage, let alone before it's even occurred, is a good sign of a sick society.
People shouldn't sanctimoniously claim their values are the
only true & correct values, calling all others "misanthropes".
Du bist nicht einmal falsch, schwesterherz.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your property is not a person and is and should be valued less than even an intruder. I don't know how to tell you that basic moral. *shrug*

If there were an accidental fire and I had to choose between putting it out or save a robber's life i would let your place burn. And so should you.
Do you ever wonder why a person works all their lives. It's to build a home.

It's like telling people their savings account and lifelong labor means nothing to them and it's not worth killing over. I digress.

You do have a point however. Most animals will rebuild but still, most animals will defend their property to the death whether it is theirs, or the intruders life, whatever outcome occurs first.

You cannot deny how nature operates.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Veganism considers honey to be the product of human exploitation and so won't consume honey. What is your opinion on this?
It is a form of exploitation, but so is absolutely any use of natural resources. Even on a hunter gatherer scale. Let alone the industrial scale we all, including vegans, benefit from. I pick my battles. Beekeeping has a smaller climate impact than sugar farming, and beeyards are beneficial for both research and repopulation of bees.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is a form of exploitation, but so is absolutely any use of natural resources. Even on a hunter gatherer scale. Let alone the industrial scale we all, including vegans, benefit from. I pick my battles. Beekeeping has a smaller climate impact than sugar farming, and beeyards are beneficial for both research and repopulation of bees.
I prefer the exploitation of maple trees for my sugary fix.
Tried to make walnut syrup once, but the yield was too low.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sorry, ive edited my post...

Ponder This

Central West End couple explains why they pointed guns at protesters who demanded Krewson's resignation

The couple stated that they received death threats. Their attorney said in statement that the couple actually supports Black Lives Matter and the cause of the protesters.

The protest organizer said that the protests were non-violent and no threats were made.

But this couple was scared enough to start brandishing firearms.

5ef954f4dc2d0.image.jpg

I guess everyone managed to keep their cool and nobody got shot, but who can say what might happen the next time, or the next time after that?

Where are we headed?

"Peaceful Protest" - destroys 100 year old wrought iron fence.
"Non-threatening" - threatens to kill man's dog and burn down his house

When asked about issues state: "You can't understand. There's no way you can understand." (unreasoning emotional nonsense)
Meanwhile, the couple are pro-BLM lawyers currently defending a man kicked by police.

I'd say the insanity meter is running waaaay too high right now. Where are we headed? We are already there: far too many Protesters, Property-owners, and Policemen have already been shot and killed nation-wide as a result of these protests. And there have already been multiple displays by gun-owners in front of protesters specifically in order to deter angry mob violence. This is not new.

Looks like the second amendment is showing up strong as a fundamental right of the people to defend themselves and proving that it remains valuable and relevant in today's world.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, Lord....spare me lectures, slings & arrows from people
who have "The Truth", & will brook no disagreement in values.

People shouldn't sanctimoniously claim their values are the
only true & correct values, calling all others "misanthropes".
Du bist nicht einmal falsch, schwesterherz.
Sorry, not sorry. I don't feel the need to feign neutrality when I come across values I feel are objectively harmful. You can agree to disagree. But I'll still find the point ****ty.

Good thing I'm not willing to shoot people for objecting to my values, eh?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

There's a TV show entitled "The Good Place" which fully explores
philosophy, physics, religion, logic, & morality. Of course, it's a comedy.
One theme is that every human has been doomed to The Bad Place in
the last 500 years because life has become so complicated. Even the
most virtuous acts have some unforeseeable tertiary bad consequence.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry, not sorry. I don't feel the need to feign neutrality when I come across values I feel are objectively harmful. You can agree to disagree. But I'll still find the point ****ty.

Good thing I'm not willing to shoot people for objecting to my values, eh?
I'll do the neutrality thing for you.
I have my values.
You have yours.
Each has its advantages & risks of undesirable consequences.
We're both neither right nor wrong.

It seems that I'm the one who is more tolerant of the values of others.
But I'm less tolerant of violent acts.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

I don't see how. I think the decimation of bees come primarily from foulbrood and mites which have been pretty severe. Maybe irresponsible beekeeping could play a role though.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you ever wonder why a person works all their lives. It's to build a home.
Certainly not why I work. I may be a materialist (physicalist, really) but I'm not that kind of materialist.
It's like telling people their savings account and lifelong labor means nothing to them and it's not worth killing over. I digress.
Worth nothing <------> Worth ending human life.
These are two opposite extremes. I fall in the middle.
You do have a point however. Most animals will rebuild but still, most animals will defend their property to the death whether it is theirs, or the intruders life, whatever outcome occurs first.

You cannot deny how nature operates.
Fighting to the death amongst social species with hierarchical systems is very rare. Usually for extreme circumstances that very rarely include theft. Social consequences, sure, but nature tends to be more risk-adverse and relies on social consequence.
Also, we can use our naturally evolved brain to find better, more long term solutions for dealing with crime than just simple reactionary plans

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There's a TV show entitled "The Good Place" which fully explores
philosophy, physics, religion, logic, & morality. Of course, it's a comedy.
One theme is that every human has been doomed to The Bad Place in
the last 500 years because life has become so complicated. Even the
most virtuous acts have some unforeseeable tertiary bad consequence.
Run that past me iro bees.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Watch the video - at 23 seconds in the woman has walked in front of the man and his AK is pointing at her.

I don't care if they are Dems or Repubs, gun owners are dumb.
He's not even paying attention to what he's aiming at. Waving the rifle around not realizing the barrel is pointed at people.

ecco

Veteran Member
Some
So, someone breaks into a person's home and steals jewelry, gets caught in the act and it's OK to shoot him.

Someone cons elderly people out of the life savings and gets caught. He gets a few years in prison.

The phony real estate market of fifteen years ago was promoted by financial executives. Millions of people lost a lot more than jewelry. No one even went to jail.

Twilight Hue

Some

So, someone breaks into a person's home and steals jewelry, gets caught in the act and it's OK to shoot him.

Someone cons elderly people out of the life savings and gets caught. He gets a few years in prison.

The phony real estate market of fifteen years ago was promoted by financial executives. Millions of people lost a lot more than jewelry. No one even went to jail.
Let's just say executives with ill-gotten gains can buy a lot more 'protection' than the common person.

Trust me, quite a fair number of elite wealthy will kill you if one perchance was able to steal enough from them to make an impact. If you were put a ratio to it, it's enough motivation for a homeowner to shoot a person stealing jewelry in the exact same vein if you stole a good portion of their wealth. Same difference in another words.

The only reason why the wealthy elites can get away with it is simply because they can for obvious reasons. Truth be told life is not fair in terms of justice and retribution as much as one wishes it was.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
This isn't about logic.
It's about values. I value the life of a would be destroyer of my
property less than the value of the property. I'll avoid taking that
life if possible, but not at the expense of the property.
I am curious. Do you have insurance? And does that play any role at all in your assessment?