• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St Andrew's Cross Spider

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
This mornings garden bug is a St Andrews Cross Spider. Named because of the bands of silk that form a shape similar to the cross St Andrew was reportedly crucified on. Biologists have several ideas on the purpose of the cross... to stabilise the web, camouflage from predators or to attract prey. Apparently it reflects UV light which might attract insects. It was 6.30am when I took the photo so the rest of the web can't be seen because there's no sunlight reflecting off it. I'll try again later to see if I can get it with the rest of the web visible.

Apologies for my dirty fence.

DSCN4997.JPG

exchemist

Veteran Member
This mornings garden bug is a St Andrews Cross Spider. Named because of the bands of silk that form a shape similar to the cross St Andrew was reportedly crucified on. Biologists have several ideas on the purpose of the cross... to stabilise the web, camouflage from predators or to attract prey. Apparently it reflects UV light which might attract insects. It was 6.30am when I took the photo so the rest of the web can't be seen because there's no sunlight reflecting off it. I'll try again later to see if I can get it with the rest of the web visible.

Apologies for my dirty fence.

View attachment 69392
Interesting but I'd like to understand what we are looking at. Is the blue cross just a visible part of the web, then? Why are the lines so thick, when spider's silk is so fine?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Interesting but I'd like to understand what we are looking at. Is the blue cross just a visible part of the web, then? Why are the lines so thick, when spider's silk is so fine?

It's a web decoration or stabilimenta. The rest of the web is like a usual orb weaver type construction, it's not visible in my photo, I'm guessing lack of light meant the sensor couldn't pick it up.

Stabilimentum - Wikipedia

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
This is about the best I can get of the web, the sun doesn't really hit the spot it has built it.

DSCN5002.JPG

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
And a small butterfly, there's hundreds of them in the yard at the moment, they're only about 10mm. I think they're a type of Leptotes plinius but I don't know for sure.

ETA: I'm probably wrong about the name unless there is only males in my yard, the females look completely different. There's a heap of small grey butterflies that it could be.

DSCN5006.JPG

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
And a small butterfly, there's hundreds of them in the yard at the moment, they're only about 10mm. I think they're a type of Leptotes plinius but I don't know for sure.

View attachment 69400
I'm only marginally good at picture keying local species. Anything outside of Missouri needs to be pretty well-known for me to get it.

Edit: Butterflies and moths I mean.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm only marginally good at picture keying local species. Anything outside of Missouri needs to be pretty well-known for me to get it.

Edit: Butterflies and moths I mean.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm wrong. It looks like a male Leptotes plinius but the females of those look completely different and I doubt if I have a yard full of males. I've found 6 that it could be but they all look the same to me.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm 99.9% sure I'm wrong. It looks like a male Leptotes plinius but the females of those look completely different and I doubt if I have a yard full of males. I've found 6 that it could be but they all look the same to me.
Some of our smaller species all look very much alike to me. They don't make matters easy for me by staying still for a while either.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It would require digging out the pressure washer, finding a long enough lead to reach the fences and considerable effort to do the actual pressure washing so it's unlikely to happen.
Technical issues have saved me a lot of trouble in the past too.