• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sri Ramakrishna on the true hero devotee...

ajay0

There is a saying of Sri Ramakrishna which I have read many years back, and which I find inspiring even now...

'A devotee who can call on God while living a householder's life is a hero indeed. God thinks: 'He is blessed indeed who prays to me in the midst of his worldly duties. He is trying to find me, overcoming a great obstacle -- pushing away, as it were, a huge block of stone weighing a ton. Such a man is a real hero.'

Are there any devotees here who are able to connect with God in love in the midst of his or her worldly duties, difficult as it is ! If so, could they share their experiences and how they are able to do so.

Thanks in advance...

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a saying of Sri Ramakrishna which I have read many years back, and which I find inspiring even now...

'A devotee who can call on God while living a householder's life is a hero indeed. God thinks: 'He is blessed indeed who prays to me in the midst of his worldly duties. He is trying to find me, overcoming a great obstacle -- pushing away, as it were, a huge block of stone weighing a ton. Such a man is a real hero.'

Are there any devotees here who are able to connect with God in love in the midst of his or her worldly duties, difficult as it is ! If so, could they share their experiences and how they are able to do so.

Thanks in advance...
My worldly duty is (and always has been) to serve the will of Brahman. Its That which is the wind powering this sail boat of mine through the waters of samsara. I simply seek to move the sail in accordance with how the wind is blowing.

For me it has always been the other way round. I have to partially veil my awareness of Brahman in everything to properly navigate the world of forms. Thus, I am forced to speak half-truths. Like I can't introduce myself as "I am a Self situated in Brahman" in a social gathering, though that is far more true than the fleeting phenomenal mind-body flux that flows around me which is conventionally named as Sayak.

Shantanu

Thanks in advance...
Ajay: have you read this?: - God exists but I do not know any God.

ajay0

An interesting scriptural story that highlights the theme of this thread of remembrance of God in daily activities....

Shantanu

Bhakta is the term for a theist. It is wrong to be a devotee of God. One can have conversations with God as mature entities of jiva and God interacting with each other. But they each mind their own business, the jiva of living on this planet and surviving to a long life, the purpose of creation.