1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sri Lankan Conflict

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Ardhanariswar, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    http://www.lankalibrary.com/pol2.html

this site is a pretty good explanation of why there is a conflict in sri lanka.

its not small problem, its the cause of one prime minister's assasination!

i was wondering how people view this war? which side are you on? Tamil Tigers or the Singhalese?

2. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,925
    I'm afraid, I know little to nothing about the conflict and don't have time to read all the links on the page you posted. Could you give us a summary of the conflict?

3. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    love to.

around the last couple of centures, india has been under british rule. the southern most indian state is tamil nadu, the capital, Madras, an english port for trade. well, many people from tamil nadu traveled to the island nation of sri lanka to work in the coffee/tea plantations.
    now tamilizans have taken permanent residence in srilanka even after indepence of both nations.
    because of the racial differences and language barriers (tamilizans speak tamil, and the sri lankans speak singhalese). singhalese outnumber tamizans 5 to 1.

it all started in 1956. tamilizans wanted thier language and culture to be recognized in sri lankan government. the dispute went farther, these major differences (including religious, sri lankan is a buddhist nation, and tamils are hindu).

non voilent prostestors tried to get tamil into the goverment. rumors in may 1958 that a tamil murdered a sri lankan goverment official. it sparked voilence all over sri lanka.

many years later, indian goverment finally took notice and rajiv gandhi sent thousands of indian troops to defend the tamilizans (who formed The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) the wanted to make a different country inside sri lanka.

but the troops fought for the sri lankans in protest of the Tamil Tiger cause. A young teenage woman who supported the tiger cause strapped a bomb beneath her sari and exploded herself near rajiv gandhi a couple years later.

the tamil tigers hid themselves in the vast forest as gurilla warriors against the national army of sri lanka.

doesnt this remind you of the israel palestine conflict?

4. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167
    To the Sri Lankan and the Israel-Palestine conflicts, you could add the Jammu-Kashmir dispute between Pakistan and India, and the situation in Northern Ireland. The British haven't been very successful in creating order in what they left behind when dismantling their empire. Now, the US of A has stepped in in Iraq. That may become another item on the list, when USA realises that it will have to withdraw, probably leaving a similar state of chaos behind. The USA also wasn't very successful in Vietnam.

I find no easy solutions to the Lankan situation. I tend to side with the Lankans, because to me it looks like an invasion from Tamil Nadu, which the settled immigrants want to make permanent, but there are many more aspects to it, and I haven't tried to study it in depth.

5. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    ya, both sides work. cuz tamil tigers want thier culture and language to be represented in the goverment (5 to 1 ration singalese to tamilizan).

(tamizan is pronounced tamirran, the z is a hard r).

tamils want thier own country now. sri lanka is only so small. and they want a smaller country? why cant the have peace?

a good indian movie portraying this conflict (the first indian movie to do so) is Kannathil Muthamital (Peck/kiss on the cheek). its a beautiful story, though many critics argue that life is not that fuzzy as shown in the movie, its a war zone.

but its taken on location, and sri lanka is PARADISE. ahh, its awesome. green trees, clear waterfalls, ancient buddhist statues.

6. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167
    Probably, at least the outside world would think that some kind of federation would be a good solution. Things being what they are, I think that the North should have some representation in government.

Some day, I will try to find a native speaker who can demonstrate the pronunciation of the letter l/rr/r/zh (the last letter in Tamil). "Learn Tamil in 30 days" writes "For easy and correct pronunciation ... fold your tongue not touching the upper molar teeth". Arden: "A progressive grammar of the Tamil language" tries this way: Pronounce as for an ordinary soft r but draw back the whole tongue making it spread the blade across the mouth. ... The result should be a slurred, obscure sound between r and l".

7. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    haha ya. i cant speak it, though i was fluent in tamil before i was 6. then i learned english from mom and went to winnie the pooh preschool and tamil kinda left me.

my parents still speak it to me, and i reply back in english. haha. im illiterate though in tamil.

• Like Like x 1
  8. trishtrish10

trishtrish10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    what form of government exists in sri lanka. if it is similar to a democracy, then yes the tamils should have representation. if not, it should follow the fair laws of the government that exists. we have abortion in our country like many others, so we have to educater our peers and dependents on the risks both physical and psychological.

9. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    i dont know what government it is. ABORTION? omg, there are much much more troubles going on in this world.

10. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,925
    trish, is it possible for you to make one post without mentioning abortion? :rolleyes:

11. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +1,676
    This brings to mind Dr. Seuss books...namely, The Sneetches, minus the violence.

12. trishtrish10

trishtrish10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    the pope represents everyone in his prayers.