• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Squid Game

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
There’s this show on Netflix called Squid Game. It’s on the way to be the most watched show ever on the site.
I was giving the show a watch and one thing that stuck out to me was how ultra-violent the show was. That got me thinking. Since this is the most popular show in the world right now probably, is the show’s popularity a reflection of society’s desensitization towards violence? I can’t imagine that a show this violent would become the most popular show 50 years ago, no matter how good it be. Just the fact that we can sit through a lot of very grotesque TV scenes without flinching, is that cause for concern? Me thinks so :) I’m no psychoanalyst

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Since this is the most popular show in the world right now probably, is the show’s popularity a reflection of society’s desensitization towards violence?
I don't think so. Actual violence feels very different from television violence. When you do violence there is a feeling of doubt, because you are making a decision. That doesn't happen when you're watching a show. It depends upon the person.

Some people cannot deal with television violence for medical reasons. Probably 10% of people cannot handle it. I cannot handle very suspenseful shows where I worry about the characters, but just seeing violence on TV no. Like, I can't watch The Wire. I have tried. Its too psychologically taxing. I can watch Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars, see Obi Kenobi die over and over. Its not the same to me if I don't feel involved. If I don't feel like its real I am Ok.

I haven't seen the squid game.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
There’s this show on Netflix called Squid Game. It’s on the way to be the most watched show ever on the site.
I was giving the show a watch and one thing that stuck out to me was how ultra-violent the show was. That got me thinking. Since this is the most popular show in the world right now probably, is the show’s popularity a reflection of society’s desensitization towards violence? I can’t imagine that a show this violent would become the most popular show 50 years ago, no matter how good it be. Just the fact that we can sit through a lot of very grotesque TV scenes without flinching, is that cause for concern? Me thinks so :) I’m no psychoanalyst
If you think today’s media is violent, try classical literature. I mean there are entire epic poems specifically about wars. Mythical and real.
The Iliad, passages from the Ramayana just from the top of my head. Never mind entire books dedicated to it.
All Quiet on the Western front literally chronically the horrors of WWI
War and Peace
Then you have various violent tales just in general. Ever read the old Chivalry romances?
Hell even Aesop’s Fables can get pretty gruesome and that’s literally about teaching morality
If anything modern media is the sanitised version

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Maybe is subtle ways. Not that we are going to go out and commit violence ourselves but that we are less outraged by it when the news reports on it. Very slowly so one doesn't even notice their feelings about it start to change.

Jeremiah Ames

I didn’t get very far.

It seemed a little too dorky to me.

Sorry to all who disagree.

ecco

Veteran Member
Hell even Aesop’s Fables can get pretty gruesome and that’s literally about teaching morality
Nursery rhymes are among the worst. Look at poor Humpty Dumpty - forever broken. Ditto Jack and Jill's broken crowns. Homes destroyed by the exhalation of a wolf. People getting shoved (alive) into ovens.

Wanna give a little kid a nightmare, have them repeat, every night at bedtime:
"...and if I die before I awake, I pray..." Mommy, am I going to die in my sleep? No? Then why do I keep hoping the Lord is going to take my soul if I do?

And then there is the Bible. Rape, pillaging, genocide, slavery, it goes on and on.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Nursery rhymes are among the worst. Look at poor Humpty Dumpty - forever broken. Ditto Jack and Jill's broken crowns. Homes destroyed by the exhalation of a wolf. People getting shoved (alive) into ovens.

"...and if I die before I awake, I pray..." Mommy, am I going to die in my sleep? No? Then why do I keep hoping the Lord is going to take my soul if I do?

And then there is the Bible. Rape, pillaging, genocide, slavery, it goes on and on.
Anyone here heard the Juniper Tree?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I agree wholeheartedly!

As a child become desensitized, they are more apt to play out what they see. Some people say it doesn't affect their thinking... and the answer is, "Then why do companies spend billions on advertisement?" - because it affects behavior.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Lmao! Too true! Or like in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, the Queen of hearts chopping everyone’s heads off haha

Okay that is kind of messed up, ngl

Lol I’m born Hindu and honestly our version of the Bible is often worse in that regard lol

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just the fact that we can sit through a lot of very grotesque TV scenes without flinching, is that cause for concern?
No. I started watching this and thought it was pretty lame, dull, and bland. I've seen many things that are far more violent, disturbing and graphic. Squid Games bored me. And ultimately it's fake so why should it be concerning? There's nothing real to empathize with.
Real violence, on the hand, I don't like it, I want nothing to do with it, and it can very deeply upset me.

Nimos

I have seen it and its entertaining enough, but I don't really understand why it is so popular, have watch shows way better than it to be honest.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I was giving the show a watch and one thing that stuck out to me was how ultra-violent the show was. That got me thinking. Since this is the most popular show in the world right now probably, is the show’s popularity a reflection of society’s desensitization towards violence?
As opposed to back when people were watching people killing themselves live at the Collosseum in Rome?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been watching Apple TV, because I am cooler than mere Netflix people. But I don't think I'm better than Netflix viewers. Just cooler.

ecco

Veteran Member
As a child become desensitized, they are more apt to play out what they see. Some people say it doesn't affect their thinking... and the answer is, "Then why do companies spend billions on advertisement?" - because it affects behavior.

So, you are one of those still believing that people, children and adults, do not understand the difference between movies/games and reality.

I can think of only one incident that might have lent credence to that debunked concept. That was when two girls got so involved with 'Beware the Slenderman' that they tried to kill another girl.

Millions of people play violent computer games, millions more see violent movies. Millions of teens and adults are not running around killing one another because of what they have encountered in these movies and games.

On the other hand, there is a segment of the population that is into violence. That is the religious-based right-wing ultraconservatives. This includes individuals like Paul Jennings Hill, John C. Salvi, Timothy McVeigh and groups like The Army of God and Aryan Nations.

Kenny

Premium Member
So, you are one of those still believing that people, children and adults, do not understand the difference between movies/games and reality.

I can think of only one incident that might have lent credence to that debunked concept. That was when two girls got so involved with 'Beware the Slenderman' that they tried to kill another girl.

Millions of people play violent computer games, millions more see violent movies. Millions of teens and adults are not running around killing one another because of what they have encountered in these movies and games.

On the other hand, there is a segment of the population that is into violence. That is the religious-based right-wing ultraconservatives. This includes individuals like Paul Jennings Hill, John C. Salvi, Timothy McVeigh and groups like The Army of God and Aryan Nations.
Apparently you don't understand the power of media

Fla. Boy Gets Life In Wrestling Death
Chinese TV cartoon blamed for child injuries
Boy, 13, Is Critically Burned After Imitating Stunt on MTV (Published 2001)
Boy Mimicking Cartoon in Sandbox Stunt Dies
8-year-old kills self imitating Chhota Bheem, sister attempts suicide
https://nypost.com/2014/05/04/5-year-old-boy-dies-trying-to-be-spider-man/

How many would you like?

Did you ever consider researching a little?

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Wohoo. You just love headlines and anecdotes when they support your viewpoint. Anecdotes are not evidence of anything other than someone trying hard to make a point.

Take your first example.

First off, why is a 12 year old 180 pound boy play wrestling with a six-year-old girl weighing 48 pounds?

...Tate inflicted brutal injuries on the 48-pound Tiffany, leaving 35 wounds, including a fractured skull, a lacerated liver, a broken rib, internal hemorrhaging and cuts and bruises.​

In your wildest imaginings, do you really see this just imitating a wrestling match? Or, did you see a headline that you thought would bolster your assertions and post the link without bothering to read the article? It wouldn't be the first time.

As far as anecdotes, when I was around 11, my friend and I "TV wrestled". We even got pretty good at flying dropkicks. No one ever got hurt.

Did you ever consider researching a little?
Uh huh.

Kenny

Premium Member
Wohoo. You just love headlines and anecdotes when they support your viewpoint. Anecdotes are not evidence of anything other than someone trying hard to make a point.

Take your first example.

First off, why is a 12 year old 180 pound boy play wrestling with a six-year-old girl weighing 48 pounds?

...Tate inflicted brutal injuries on the 48-pound Tiffany, leaving 35 wounds, including a fractured skull, a lacerated liver, a broken rib, internal hemorrhaging and cuts and bruises.​

In your wildest imaginings, do you really see this just imitating a wrestling match? Or, did you see a headline that you thought would bolster your assertions and post the link without bothering to read the article? It wouldn't be the first time.

As far as anecdotes, when I was around 11, my friend and I "TV wrestled". We even got pretty good at flying dropkicks. No one ever got hurt.

Uh huh.
Flat earth thinking.