• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Square Pegs, Round Holes

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
It depends on what you call spiritual(?), based on the limited definitions of the research some of the other choices may or may not be spiritual, but non-conformist choices more common with (ASD), but also both the (ASD) and the (NT) made choices in the different categories, and with the broadness and limited definition of the categories selected would make any conclusions limited. It would not take into account the many (NT) that would make their choices as reason of conformity, and not spirituality.

Spiritual-
: concerned with religious values
: of or relating to sacred matters
: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena

Definition of SPIRITUAL

Maximilian

(autistic person here)We do too experience empathy..At least most of us do.Do I need to get a bunch of sources on how autistics tend to feel more strongly then NTs when it comes to affective empathy they just tend to lack on cognitive empathy?Because I can do that...and I will I just need a minute.We just appear not to have it because of our difficulties in social skills.

Thank you for sharing :)

If I may ask, do you believe the Bible is the Inspired Word of God? Do you worship Jehovah God, our Creator, as did Christ Jesus?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Spiritual-
: concerned with religious values
: of or relating to sacred matters
: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena

Definition of SPIRITUAL

OK! so what?!?!?! Being spiritual does not necessitate believing in God or for that matter Gods.

Buddhists and Taoists believe in religious and sacred values.

Your drifting away from the intent of the thread setting up multiple goal posts.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Thank you for sharing :)

If I may ask, do you believe the Bible is the Inspired Word of God? Do you worship Jehovah God, our Creator, as did Christ Jesus?
I believe the bible was inspired by those lead by The Inner Light(that is that of God in everyone)...I worship God yes and I believe Jesus died on the cross and rose the 3rd day to save people from a spiritual death.But the Spirit has final authority over all else and the Bible has been corrupted on some parts.If you wish to ask me more about my believe feel free.If you feel however that doing so here will take away from this thread feel free to PM me.I don't mind.

VoidCat

They experience it more from observation & analysis than intuition.
We need @Ray Warren to weigh in here.
He's far nicer than a great many neurotypicals.
In regards to understanding other people and social skills among other things autistics use logic. Autistics don't intuitively know how to go about social situations as a neurotypical

VoidCat

@Shadow Wolf If I wrote something here that is untrue or wrong please correct me...I am still doing a lot of research on this subject of empathy and autistics

Last edited:

Maximilian

I believe the bible was inspired by those lead by The Inner Light(that is that of God in everyone)...I worship God yes and I believe Jesus died on the cross and rose the 3rd day to save people from a spiritual death.But the Spirit has final authority over all else and the Bible has been corrupted on some parts.If you wish to ask me more about my believe feel free.If you feel however that doing so here will take away from this thread feel free to PM me.I don't mind.

It seems, then, that you've fashioned a particularly personal version of Christianity for yourself to follow.

Maximilian

OK! so what?!?!?! Being spiritual does not necessitate believing in God or for that matter Gods.

Buddhists and Taoists believe in religious and sacred values.

Your drifting away from the intent of the thread setting up multiple goal posts.

You seemed confused as to what it means to be spiritual and I supplied you with definitions, nothing more.

VoidCat

It seems, then, that you've fashioned a particularly personal version of Christianity for yourself to follow.
I'm a Christian Quaker what do you expect?Quakerism is a very experiential and non-doctrine non-creedial religion with a focus on the inner Light..Also in regards to whether or not I'm a Christian...I consider myself one but personally it depends on your definition of Christianity...You might not consider me one.

Maximilian

I'm a Christian Quaker what do you expect?Quakerism is a very experiential and non-doctrine non-creedial religion with a focus on the inner Light..Also in regards to whether or not I'm a Christian...I consider myself one but personally it depends on your definition of Christianity...You might not consider me one.

I only inquire because your spirituality seems consistent with the kind of spirituality typical of those with ASD: non-traditional and highly tailored: Disqus - Square Pegs, Round Holes

VoidCat

So I read the links you provided...I would love to hear about more research done on this.However I think the sample size is quite small on the autism thing...I would like to see what a larger study comes up with.And the other experiment regarding the God gene...I need to look more into to see if it's scientifically accurate...But interesting nevertheless.

VoidCat

Also some of the claims made by the article on the God gene seem unsupported by sources...I would like to know where they got their info so I have to fact check some of their claims.it seems quite biased too so it could cloud their results.

PureX

Veteran Member
All I see here is (NT) individual are more likely to relate strongly to a 'Sense of Belonging' and 'Sense of Community; that religions offer in any given society. Rebels and nonconformists (ASD) are less likely to tow the line and embrace the comfort of the Sense of Community.
I don't see people with ADS as "rebels and non-conformists" any more than I see being deaf as an indication of rebellion or non-conformity. These are physical impediments to social interaction, not personality types.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A lack of empathy is not "experiencing empathy differently", it's an inability to experience empathy.
I see it as a spectrum.
To be completely without strikes me as a rare extreme,
& not applicable to most with autism or other issues.
But even if one had no empathy whatsoever, what evidence
is that that this inexorably results in narcissism?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You seemed confused as to what it means to be spiritual and I supplied you with definitions, nothing more.

Not confused at all. According to your definition cited there are more than one way, in fact several ways, people may be considered spiritual. All that I mentioned and more could qualify as someone being 'spiritual.'