• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sprites

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As many here know, I've been an armchair meteorologist for all my adult life, with a particular passion for extreme weather, mesocyclones, lightning and tornadoes. I have read almost everything on the topic of tornadoes and sat through hundreds (probably thousands) of hours watching tornado footage from virtually any source. Of late, I was slumming on a lightning whim and watched several incredible videos by various storm chasers. One fascinating event was ground to cloud lightning. Seeing that on video is a little more than weird.

My long time favorite storm-chaser, Pecos Hank, documents this whenever he can, as seen here:

Related to this is another form of lightning bolt that is, to use a tired expression, a super bolt, happen from time to time during most thunderstorms and can cause severe damage wherever they strike.

But what I really dragged you here to see is downright spooky. You see, with the discharge of these "super bolts", at the very top of the cloud, 20 miles above it actually, are these utterly amazing discharges that are called sprites. Scientists still do not know much about them due to them only being discovered in the last few years.

If you are really interested, I found this documentary riveting. (OK, I'm easily amused.)

So, think of it this way. You have now seen two very rare things that not a lot of people have seen - to this day!

Questions? Comments?

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
On a more serious note, I've heard that when lightning strikes something on the ground, the strike that we see is axually moving upward from the object being struck, along a path of invisible electrons coming down from the sky.