• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Breakers who disregarded health warnings are testing positive for the virus

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
28 University of Texas spring breakers who defied officials' warnings test positive for coronavirus

A group of spring breakers who defied public officials' coronavirus warnings are now dealing with the consequences of not canceling non-essential travel and practicing social distancing. About 70 people in their 20s traveled in a large group from Austin, Texas, to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico in mid-March. Now, 28 of them have tested positive for COVID-19, the Austin Public Health Department says.

The group flew to Mexico on a charter flight about a week and a half ago and some of the vacationers returned on separate commercial flights, the City of Austin said in a press release.

"Austin Public Health and UT Health Austin and University Health Services have made contact with every spring breaker onboard the plane using flight manifests from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)," the press release reads. "The 28 confirmed cases are self-isolating at this time. Others are under quarantine while being monitored and tested."

I remember seeing all those videos a week or two ago where they showed spring breakers partying it up and ignoring the advisories about coronavirus.

The news from Austin comes about two weeks after the University of Tampa announced at least five students tested positive for coronavirus after traveling with other students from the school for spring break. Crowds of spring breakers in Florida were criticized for ignoring social distancing guidelines and packing beaches in complete disregard of the potential risk, before communities finally closed the beaches.

Spring breakers seen in a viral video posted by CBS News showed little concern about the virus while partying in Miami.

"If I get corona, I get corona," Brady Sluder, one of the young people in the video, said. "At the end of the day, I'm not going to let it stop me from partying. I've been waiting, we've been waiting for Miami spring break for a while. About two months we've had this trip planned, two, three months, and we're just out here having a good time."

Well, they've been planning the trip for months and wanted to have a good time. They knew the risks and said "if I get it, I get it."

exchemist

Veteran Member
28 University of Texas spring breakers who defied officials' warnings test positive for coronavirus

I remember seeing all those videos a week or two ago where they showed spring breakers partying it up and ignoring the advisories about coronavirus.

Well, they've been planning the trip for months and wanted to have a good time. They knew the risks and said "if I get it, I get it."
Trouble is, these idiots have not taken in that the issue isn't whether they get it or not. No one gives a damn about that: it's who they pass it on to, exponentially.

They should be given a week of plotting exponentials in compulsory maths seminars, when they get back.

Jerks.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

People tend to get wiser with age, not always of course, but many will know when to back away from danger or put others at risk when it is mostly just their personal pleasure that is being restricted or curtailed. Plenty are not going to learn this lesson before harming others though. Here is another example - apart from the abuse the nurse suffered - of how some queue (not like this at more upmarket shops if this is a current photo):

Nurse in tears after being jeered for using her NHS card at end of 13 hour shift

Nurse in tears after being jeered for using her NHS card at end of 13 hour shift. A veteran nurse from Alder Hay Children's Hospital in Liverpool had finished a long shift in the morning and went to Aldi, where she was the object of derision.

Milton Platt

Selfish, self-serving behavior that risks the lives of others borders on criminal.

Milton Platt

So far, the only big demographic group I know of defending it is conservative Christian folks.
Tom

I'm sure that is an over-generalization, but conservatives on the whole have tended to view the pandemic less seriously. Polls have suggested it is tied to the news sources they favor.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm sure that is an over-generalization, but conservatives on the whole have tended to view the pandemic less seriously. Polls have suggested it is tied to the news sources they favor.
Name another demographic group as large a conservative Christians who are defending behavior like this. I don't think you can.

Sure, there's stupid teenagers partying during spring break. There's stupid Christians churching for the same reason.
They really really want to do whatever they want.

But conservative Christians are a larger(and more influential) demographic than stupid teenagers.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been getting some grief lately by suggesting that
posters link evidence for their claims. They've been
saying that's my job (ie, to be informed), not theirs.
Well, here's an example of why you should've posted
a link to the polls you cite....
I searched for "corvid poll", & found....
CORVID 2020 Thread [poll]
Now I know that UBER drivers like crows, jays, magpies & ravens equally.
See?
We less capable posters would benefit from your help.
You've already found'm, & can post'm with far greater ease.

Milton Platt

I've been getting some grief lately by suggesting that
posters link evidence for their claims. They've been
saying that's my job (ie, to be informed), not theirs.
Well, here's an example of why you should've posted
a link to the polls you cite....
I searched for "corvid poll", & found....
CORVID 2020 Thread [poll]
Now I know that UBER drivers like crows, jays, magpies & ravens equally.
See?
We less capable posters would benefit from your help.
You've already found'm, & can post'm with far greater ease.

A pitfall of posting hastily within time constraints. You are correct. Especially since I am one of those who often asks for sources, so........

Red and Blue America Aren’t Experiencing the Same Pandemic

In America, even pandemics are political

Americans Immersed in Coronavirus News; Most Think Media Are Doing Fairly Well Covering It

New polls show effect of right-wing media's dismissive and conspiratorial coronavirus coverage - CNN

To add some fodder for thought, here is one from the NYT which actually questions whether such polls or studies are really reflective of those of right-leaning mindset.

Opinion | The Coronavirus and the Conservative Mind

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A pitfall of posting hastily within time constraints. You are correct. Especially since I am one of those who often asks for sources, so........

Red and Blue America Aren’t Experiencing the Same Pandemic

In America, even pandemics are political

Americans Immersed in Coronavirus News; Most Think Media Are Doing Fairly Well Covering It

New polls show effect of right-wing media's dismissive and conspiratorial coronavirus coverage - CNN

To add some fodder for thought, here is one from the NYT which actually questions whether such polls or studies are really reflective of those of right-leaning mindset.

Opinion | The Coronavirus and the Conservative Mind
Regarding the last link, there's one issue I've not seen addressed....
To be liberal minded is about being open minded, permissive, & tolerant.
But this sense of liberal doesn't apply to many political liberals (as in
the N Ameristanian political sense), who are rigid in their devotion
to their political ideology, & resistant to change. And political conservatives
can be liberal minded. Complicated, eh?

Milton Platt

Regarding the last link, there's one issue I've not seen addressed....
To be liberal minded is about being open minded, permissive, & tolerant.
But this sense of liberal doesn't apply to many political liberals (as in
the N Ameristanian political sense), who are rigid in their devotion
to their political ideology, & resistant to change. And political conservatives
can be liberal minded. Complicated, eh?
Yes. One of the long standing issues I have with the political climate in the U.S. is the false dichotomy of left and right where there is a refusal by both sides to see that there is actually miles of grey in the middle.