• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spouse and karma

Do you think the person one marries is already pre-fixed (based on Prarabdha Karma)?

• Total voters

SeRe

My friends and I who are yet to be married are curious about this. So I'm posting a poll. Please reply :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My friends and I who are yet to be married are curious about this. So I'm posting a poll. Please reply :)

For a long time I held the view that it's just as much about WHEN you marry, as who you marry. In other words marriages won't work unless you're mature enough to compromise and communicate a lot.

Now, a few long years later, after meeting a few people whom I know I could have never married, I'm not so sure, but I still think there's some truth to it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think certain things (including spouse) are destined by decisions and circumstances before you were born. That does not mean sometimes things get changed.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Other reason - Chance. In my case a grandma (in relationship) said that she would like a particular girl to marry me saying that she looks like 'Delilah' (Hedy Lamarr). I was around 13 at that time, and that got registered in my brain. Years later my future father-in-law attended my sacred thread ceremony and knowing this, I very nicely offered him refreshments (no, I had not seen the girl/my future wife). I think he too was observing me as a future candidate as the husband of his daughter. Well, the years passed by, studies and job, and then I wanted to get married. I suggested to my aunt that this girl might be the one for me. Relatives arranged a meet/look for us, she was blushing red up to her ears, and I accepted the match. My aunt went to her family, made the proposal, and it was accepted by my wife's family. No, she was not like Hedy Lamarr, did have curly hair but no blue eyes.
So, a talk in around 1955 and the marriage in 1967.