• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spotting Flaws...

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
When observing things, what is the first thing that stands out to you? With me, I always spot flaws instantly.

It could be a missed note by a musician in a song. It could be the way someone took just a little too much frosting off on one small edge of a cake. It could be the way an artist juuuust missed the mark on a painting that was meant to be perfectly symmetrical.

I'm not sure why my brain does this. :confused:

It's not that it's a bad thing... I actually appreciate flaws as I think they add uniqueness and character. Does anyone else do this though, or is it just me?

RestlessSoul

Well it sounds like you’re a bit of a perfectionist. Which can be a pretty uncomfortable position given that absolutely nothing in this world is perfect. Although on the other hand, everything is. Including or especially the obvious flaws. Depends, as always, on how you look at things.

Bird123

When observing things, what is the first thing that stands out to you? With me, I always spot flaws instantly.

It could be a missed note by a musician in a song. It could be the way someone took just a little too much frosting off on one small edge of a cake. It could be the way an artist juuuust missed the mark on a painting that was meant to be perfectly symmetrical.

It's not that it's a bad thing... I actually appreciate flaws as I think they add uniqueness and character. Does anyone else do this though, or is it just me?

We all have the power to Choose what we deem important.

I was looking at a painting. Up close with all the brush marks, it was a mess. I took a few steps back and the view changed. It was a beautiful Masterpiece.

In my life, My choice is going to be the Masterpiece!!

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Well it sounds like you’re a bit of a perfectionist. Which can be a pretty uncomfortable position given that absolutely nothing in this world is perfect. Although on the other hand, everything is. Including or especially the obvious flaws. Depends, as always, on how you look at things.

I don't know if I'd say it's uncomfortable since imperfection is so common. It is strange, though... I can look at the imperfections of others and appreciate them. I don't really look at their imperfections as a bad thing, but I definitely do notice them.

When it comes to myself, imperfection is actually something that can be a little irritating at times. I don't have OCD levels of perfection, but I do try to get things as close to perfect as I can without wasting time.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
We all have the power to Choose what we deem important.

I was looking at a painting. Up close with all the brush marks, it was a mess. I took a few steps back and the view changed. It was a beautiful Masterpiece.

In my life, My choice is going to be the Masterpiece!!

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Hmmm... I definitely agree with you! Imagine seeing the flaw every single time at first, though. I can hardly help it, so I've gotten used to it.

My friends have taken to asking me about if things they do or make look right or not, too, cause I will absolutely be able to point out exactly where they went wrong. :D This is especially true of food, and it's probably why they say I'm a good cook!

RestlessSoul

I don't know if I'd say it's uncomfortable since imperfection is so common. It is strange, though... I can look at the imperfections of others and appreciate them. I don't really look at their imperfections as a bad thing, but I definitely do notice them.

When it comes to myself, imperfection is actually something that can be a little irritating at times. I don't have OCD levels of perfection, but I do try to get things as close to perfect as I can without wasting time.

I’d suggest that if you can accept or even embrace the imperfections in others, you can certainly learn to embrace and accept the imperfections in yourself.

Tricky one though, to be fair. I recently redecorated the spare room. I wanted to do as good a job as I could, and was acutely aware of imperfections no one else noticed. At some point I just had to declare the job finished, otherwise I’d still be in there now.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I’d suggest that if you can accept or even embrace the imperfections in others, you can certainly learn to embrace and accept the imperfections in yourself.

Tricky one though, to be fair. I recently redecorated the spare room. I wanted to do as good a job as I could, and was acutely aware of imperfections no one else noticed. At some point I just had to declare the job finished, otherwise I’d still be in there now.

Exactly! It's easy to waste time trying to line everything up, but sooner or later you just have to shrug and say "good enough." I find the sooner I say "good enough" the better. Only I am going to notice when it's off, and even then, I soon forget the imperfections are even there as my mind moves onto other things. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think it's a common trait. As a former teacher, some kid would hand in a great essay, and I'd notice the one spelling mistake. Perhaps we're hard wired to see straight lines, not curves. But if yo have a plain white wall, and there is a black dot on it, you'll notice the black dot, merely because it's different.

With regard to people, and personalities, clearly it's healthier to focus on strengths, not weaknesses.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I like flaws, without them I'd be perfect... And who wants to be perfect

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I think it's a common trait. As a former teacher, some kid would hand in a great essay, and I'd notice the one spelling mistake. Perhaps we're hard wired to see straight lines, not curves. But if yo have a plain white wall, and there is a black dot on it, you'll notice the black dot, merely because it's different.

With regard to people, and personalities, clearly it's healthier to focus on strengths, not weaknesses.

Hmmm... You know, I don't know if I'd see a flaw as a weakness.

See, I love geology and rocks in general: specifically precious and semi precious stones. Something with lots of flaws, like this...

Amethystdrusen-6.JPG

...is much more interesting then something perfect like this.

C4658BB3-0A56-46F1-835F4A8D1256056C_source.jpg

That diamond is worth about the same as those larger lava tube geodes, but I'd choose the geodes any day. Then again, I love druzy stuff, and plan on getting a pair of druzy plugs when my ears stretch to my goal size. :D

tumblr_njkkgp64GQ1suv6g2o1_1280.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hmmm... You know, I don't know if I'd see a flaw as a weakness.

...is much more interesting then something perfect like this.

C4658BB3-0A56-46F1-835F4A8D1256056C_source.jpg

That diamond is worth about the same as those larger lava tube geodes, but I'd choose the geodes any day. Then again, I love druzy stuff, and plan on getting a pair of druzy plugs when my ears stretch to my goal size. :D

tumblr_njkkgp64GQ1suv6g2o1_1280.jpg

I don't think I see flaws as weaknesses either. I was just taking the thought and projecting it onto people. That most likely wasn't the intent of your OP. Sorry.

Yes the geodes are beautiful.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I like flaws, without them I'd be perfect... And who wants to be perfect
I'd like to be perfect in all the important ways. Flaws are a pain when they make people feel like a failure at something, or if they have a physical flaw that makes people stare or holds them back from enjoying life.

If everyone was perfect, there would be nothing to complain about, so maybe we could all just enjoy the world and all its perfection and never have our attention drawn to the annoying flaws......I believe we were designed to be perfect and to live in perfect surroundings, because our Maker is perfect. The flaws then become obvious and a distraction....symmetry is perceived as perfect in our minds. It is seen in nature so perfectly....
nature.png
images

images
images
images
images

A-symmetry is simply not as attractive....that is why flaws are so annoying....

Perfection is not just physical either......flawed human nature is also a great cause of pain in the world. :(

God did not create this situation of widespread imperfection......we did.....so I am looking forward to things going back to the way we know they should be. I have the Creator's promise on that. :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to be perfect in all the important ways. Flaws are a pain when they make people feel like a failure at something, or if they have a physical flaw that makes people stare or holds them back from enjoying life.

If everyone was perfect, there would be nothing to complain about, so maybe we could all just enjoy the world and all its perfection and never have our attention drawn to the annoying flaws......I believe we were designed to be perfect and to live in perfect surroundings, because our Maker is perfect. The flaws then become obvious and a distraction....symmetry is perceived as perfect in our minds. It is seen in nature so perfectly....
nature.png
images

images
images
images
images

A-symmetry is simply not as attractive....that is why flaws are so annoying....

Perfection is not just physical either......flawed human nature is also a great cause of pain in the world. :(

God did not create this situation of widespread imperfection......we did.....so I am looking forward to things going back to the way we know they should be. I have the Creator's promise on that. :)

Hmm...
Dealing with droughts, floods and volcanoes is God testing us, but my co-workers facial mole is an annoying flaw we wish we didn't have to deal with?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hmm...
Dealing with droughts, floods and volcanoes is God testing us,

If the first humans had only obeyed some simple instructions, there would have been no droughts, no floods, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, no tornadoes or hurricanes, and no destructive wars.....is God testing us....? No! we are testing ourselves to see how good we are at doing stuff on our own....
confused0036.gif
we are just showing ourselves how much we need our Creator.

We have clearly demonstrated how clever we really are, after thousands of years of gaining knowledge, here we are.....polluting the daylights out of our only home....and capable of destroying all life on this planet.
confused0067.gif

but my co-workers facial mole is an annoying flaw we wish we didn't have to deal with?
Just as well they don't have to look at it as often as you do....
confused0060.gif

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If the first humans had only obeyed some simple instructions, there would have been no droughts, no floods, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, no tornadoes or hurricanes, and no destructive wars.....is God testing us....? No! we are testing ourselves to see how good we are at doing stuff on our own....
confused0036.gif
we are just showing ourselves how much we need our Creator.

...and no facial moles?

We have clearly demonstrated how clever we really are, after thousands of years of gaining knowledge, here we are.....polluting the daylights out of our only home....and capable of destroying all life on this planet.
confused0067.gif

I'm confused here. Weren't we talking about symmetry in nature as a function of design?

Just as well they don't have to look at it as often as you do....
confused0060.gif

Heh...they get to look at my perfect visage instead.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If everyone was perfect, there would be nothing to complain about,

Except maybe boredom

....I believe we were designed to be perfect and to live in perfect surroundings, because our Maker is perfect.

Your belief. 2004 tsunami, almost 1/4 of a million deaths. Not perfect surroundings.

The flaws then become obvious and a distraction....

Flaws make life interesting.

God did not create this situation of widespread imperfection.....

Which god? There are around 3800 creator gods that have been worshipped.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Except maybe boredom
Imagine....perfect health.....perfect intellect.....perfect dexterity....a whole world of wonder to explore....talents to develop and perfect.....and forever to do it.....how could you possibly be bored? :confused:

Your belief. 2004 tsunami, almost 1/4 of a million deaths. Not perfect surroundings.
Yep, it is my belief....but I do not believe that the Creator is running this show....in fact all the world’s “natural” disasters have nothing whatever to do with God. (1 John 5:19)

This world has to go, to make way for a new start....did you not know that this is what the Bible teaches? (2 Peter 3:13) Demolition always comes before rebuilding.

Flaws make life interesting.

Not to me....flaws are distracting and annoying because perfection is programmed into us. Imperfection is at the base of all of man’s troubles.....ill health, both mental and physical......soured relationships, both personal and political, leading to hatred and violence....false religious ideas and practices that lead people to hate those who don’t agree with them.....people looking out for number one whilst stepping over the bodies of those in their way.....imperfection has no redeeming features. :(

[quoteWhich god? There are around 3800 creator gods that have been worshipped.[/QUOTE]

We get to choose, of ur own free will.....better hope we choose the right one since 3799 of the don’t even exist outside of human imagination.

I believe that we will all find out which is the real one in the very near future.....;)