• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports and Transgender Opinion

Should males that self-identify as females be allowed to compete in women sportss.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esmith

Veteran Member
Biden signed an Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation. With this signing it mandates that biological males that self-identify as female must be allowed to compete in female sports.
Given that what is your opinion on this and your reasoning behind that opinion?
Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation | The White House
Opinion | Joe Biden’s First Day Began the End of Girls’ Sports

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am generally not in favor of sex segregated sports in the first place and think merited abilities such as division and weight should determine teams and structure, but trans women aren't 'men identified as women.' They are women. And post transition have the hormone profile, weight and muscular patterns in line with 'your average woman' (as dubious as that suggests a monolith which does not exist.)

Tom Blunt: Don’t Believe Everything You Read About Trans Women In Sports
ACLU News & Commentary

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I tend to think that it's up to the organizations to ultimately make that decision, thus I couldn't vote yes nor no. Of course, any decision made could be challenged and taken to court.

Discrimination can be allowed under some circumstances, so a court's decision is not always predictable, plus their decisions also can be appealed.

BTW, it should be noted that the link is from the WSJ Editorial Board, and I'm sure most of us know where that is coming from.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think Brigitte Nielsen is much stronger than James Mc Avoy...
So...it depends...I guess;)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to point out something here -

"Forbes released its annual look at the world’s highest-paid athletes this month, and the top 100 exemplified the stark contrast in pay between professional male and female athletes.

The gender pay gap spans almost every industry, and sports is no different. But between particular sports, there are vast discrepancies in pay for men and women, ranging from tennis, where pay is comparable, to basketball, where players are in entirely different zip codes.

In team sports, though, the picture for women is bleak. The top WNBA salary was $117,500 last season, compared with $37.4 million in the NBA. The team salary cap for the National Pro Fastpitch softball league is $175,000; the Boston Red Sox will split $227 million in 2019."
From - Why Female Athletes Earn Less Than Men Across Most Sports

Just let this sink in for a moment. Let it really, really sink in. And then ask yourself again whether or not this question is even relevant when a trans-woman is taking a huge, huge pay cut by being authentic who they are. Nobody in their right mind would do that disingenuously.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Biden signed an Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation. With this signing it mandates that biological males that self-identify as female must be allowed to compete in female sports.
Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation | The White House
Of course. I'm routing for the decimation of natural female players!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Just let this sink in for a moment. Let it really, really sink in. And then ask yourself again whether or not this question is even relevant when a trans-woman is taking a huge, huge pay cut by being authentic who they are. Nobody in their right mind would do that disingenuously.
I see what you are saying and as a principle, I would agree. However, I am not sure if a transgender woman has a physical advantage over other female competitors. Thus, allowing them to transcend in regards to performance. To put it another way, if a man is in the top 500 in a sport, even after their transition, where would they place in comparison to their newly found women peers? Top 20? 10? 5?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In as much as the composition of a biological male's body is different that the female which affects many other areas, I voted no.

esmith

Veteran Member
I tend to think that it's up to the organizations to ultimately make that decision, thus I couldn't vote yes nor no. Of course, any decision made could be challenged and taken to court.

Discrimination can be allowed under some circumstances, so a court's decision is not always predictable, plus their decisions also can be appealed.

BTW, it should be noted that the link is from the WSJ Editorial Board, and I'm sure most of us know where that is coming from.
I see if you don't like the source then they must be wrong. Alright I can see you have your bias so let's try a different source.
Transgender athletes rob girls of the chance to compete fairly

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My opinion isn't reflected in the poll, because my opinion really means squat in the matter. I think it should be up to those that compete in these sports after assessing any advantages/disadvantages it gives to competition.

I was never a fan of gender specific sports to begin with. My daughter was a wrestler in junior high school and competed against boys her age. All sports should be open to all genders, in my opinion.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am generally not in favor of sex segregated sports in the first place and think merited abilities such as division and weight should determine teams and structure,

I think this is probably the best solution, to just eliminate sex segregated sports altogether.

As for locker rooms and restrooms, perhaps that issue can be resolved by having mandated private restrooms and dressing rooms. I never really did understand the philosophy where some people thought it was necessary to have children get naked and jump in the shower together. Maybe it was a way to prepare us for military life. It's the same for school restrooms - no privacy at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think this is probably the best solution, to just eliminate sex segregated sports altogether.
Never happen. People like to compete & win.
Lack of gender based competitions would
create a disparate effect, one greatly reducing
women's chances.
Compare track times & weights lifted for men
vs women. Women would be shut out.

Audie

Veteran Member
I see what you are saying and as a principle, I would agree. However, I am not sure if a transgender woman has a physical advantage over other female competitors. Thus, allowing them to transcend in regards to performance. To put it another way, if a man is in the top 500 in a sport, even after their transition, where would they place in comparison to their newly found women peers? Top 20? 10? 5?

Doping a race horse is criminal cheating.

Doping Schwarzenegger onto the
"spectrum" sos he can wrestle the girls
would be-?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I recall people complaining that the winners in a lot of college track events tended to be transgender, there's no doubt a hormonal advantage of more testosterone can influence outcomes. They've even banned one South African woman from competing because she has higher than normal testosterone for a woman, even though she is a woman.

So no, I don't think women should be at a disadvantage because they were born female.

As to female to male transgender, I don't see any reason to have any problem with that..Athough male athletes are certainly not allowed to take testosterone supplements to compete better.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Like any sport, I feel it should be based on all characteristics that play in one's sex not just one's genitals. The body structure, for example, make some people more apt for some sports than others. It has less to do with one's sex, and more to do with the physical structure of a man and woman and how they can handle, say, contact sports. A lot of the sports-sex arguments aren't about what's between one's legs but a factor of things that one can't change by how they are born. Also, it would raise the question as to whether women should be in men's sports transgender and not. In some sports, I feel there is a good reason for sex segregation but it has (edit) more to do with one's physical make up not specific to one's genitals.

That's my opinion.