• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirituality and Identity

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is your religion (spirituality, practice, and/or faith) a part of your identity?

Having one's religion apart from one's identity isn't a drawback in itself. It could be seen as a step towards identifying with one's spirituality, religion, practice, or faith rather than alien from it. That, or it can help those spiritual practices who separate material and spiritual outlook a way to focus on one's spiritual side without being mixed up with ego/materialism, and things of that nature. Separation can be beneficial and it can have drawbacks.

Nonetheless, in this interfaith thread, does your religion (SPFEtc) a part of your identity?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is your religion (spirituality, practice, and/or faith) a part of your identity?

Having one's religion apart from one's identity isn't a drawback in itself. It could be seen as a step towards identifying with one's spirituality, religion, practice, or faith rather than alien from it. That, or it can help those spiritual practices who separate material and spiritual outlook a way to focus on one's spiritual side without being mixed up with ego/materialism, and things of that nature. Separation can be beneficial and it can have drawbacks.

Nonetheless, in this interfaith thread, does your religion (SPFEtc) a part of your identity?
When ego has been left (selfless person) there is no identity left to identify as :) then the person simply is. Then materalistic does not affect the person, and the Spiritual part of the person has taken fully over. (in my understanding this is of course)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know. I don't really know what my identity is... to one person, I am 'this' person, to another I am 'that' person. To a group of religious people(like her on RF), my religion will probably be part of my identity for most. However, when I go in to the local aquarium store, no one there knows my religious status, and they identify me by the tanks I keep.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't really know how to answer this question, as I give very little thought to my "identity" at all. I'm not sure what that is. I mean I would assume that my "identity" is something that exists in the minds of others, as they perceive me. Not something that exists in my own mind as a perception of myself. I don't really have a perception of myself. I just am what I am.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't know. I don't really know what my identity is... to one person, I am 'this' person, to another I am 'that' person. To a group of religious people(like her on RF), my religion will probably be part of my identity for most. However, when I go in to the local aquarium store, no one there knows my religious status, and they identify me by the tanks I keep.

Do you define your identity (or would) by what other people define you as, or do you/could you have an identity not dependent on other people's views?

For example, if you see yourself as a family oriented person, are you that way because of who you are or who people say you are?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you define your identity (or would) by what other people define you as, or do you/could you have an identity not dependent on other people's views?

For example, if you see yourself as a family oriented person, are you that way because of who you are or who people say you are?

I struggle with the idea of my own identity as defined by myself. Its too fluid. If anything, I could identify with some habits I hold, but those change, too.

Its hard to use what other people say, because people can say completely opposite things. So I just don't worry about it much.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't really know how to answer this question, as I give very little thought to my "identity" at all. I'm not sure what that is. I mean I would assume that my "identity" is something that exists in the minds of others, as they perceive me. Not something that exists in my own mind as a perception of myself. I don't really have a perception of myself. I just am what I am.

Hmm. I always thought everyone has some perception of themselves.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Does a bear **** in the woods?

Absolutely.

But this does not mean that my Spirituality and Practices are always on display and visible to others.

My Religious views color a lot of the way I see (and interact with) the world, so there is really no way that it couldn't be a part of my identity.

Edit

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
When ego has been left (selfless person) there is no identity left to identify as :) then the person simply is. Then materalistic does not affect the person, and the Spiritual part of the person has taken fully over. (in my understanding this is of course)

I'ma challenge you a bit, but not to debate... just curious.

If you don't have an identity, how are you a Muslim Sufi?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'ma challenge you a bit, but not to debate... just curious.

If you don't have an identity, how are you a Muslim Sufi?
Because i still have some form of an ego(self) that i yet have been able to fully let go of, the word Sufi or muslim is what i can describe what teaching i study to get closer to Allah.
And in a forum like RF it is very unnaturally to not use the word I as an example. if "I" stopped using the word I when trying to explain something, it would not work here.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is tricky question to navigate. What is my identity? Who I feel myself to be as a person? Then yes, spirituality most certainly helps shape and inform all of that.

But if you mean it in the sense of part of an egoic self-identification, spirituality can become co-opted by the ego that way. It is that sneaky near-enemy of spirituality, where you present yourself or see yourself as a "spiritual person", like a badge you wear and identify with. So instead of simply just being spiritual as who you are, it becomes something that you identify with as the ego.

This is why sometimes I feel it's better not to label yourself too much as one thing. Identifying yourself with something, is different than just being that thing. And if you call yourself that thing, wear it as a label, the focus is on how you appear as that thing, rather than being what and who you really are.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Identity is more who are to yourself and to others (or god or...) through your actions, morals, and ideals. They are independent of what others think of you and your external perspectives of how you see or define yourself-your ego.

Identity is the "distinguishing character or personality of an individual : individuality."

Ego is more what you label yourself (and others to you) based on your/their opinions about you and of others that you assume reflects/defines who you are (I am a smart person. I am a dumb person.)

Ego is "the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world.)

So, your identity may be the act and lifestyle of serving god (that makes up your role of life) and your ego may be I am a child of god/I am a christian that labels that role)

Some say they (label themselves) christian because they serve god
Other say who they are is defined by their service to god (which so happens to be christian)

--

Your identity (who you are-your soul) is absent of external perceptions and definitions of yourself (your ego).

Labels are only a problem when you use it to define your identity and not your ego.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I am a Spiritual Being, so my Spiritual Practice is my Life, hence my identity

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Depends on context I'm in. Generally no, like at school when I worked. I kept private and public very separate. But on a discussion forum like this, it's part of my identity sure.

ajay0

Religion like race, nationality, gender, sexuality can be part of one's identity to function properly in society. However blind identification with them is destructive as it creates prejudice in one's mind. Prejudice arises essentially because we are overly identified with something.

So it is true that religion is part of one's identities, but the focus of spirituality is to be beyond all one's identities due to their destructive nature.

As long as you experience yourself as a limited entity, you are bound to feel threatened. Sadhguru

Every social group is built on identifications. The basis of spiritual process is to learn to live without an identity. Sadhguru