• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual terms

Marco19

Researcher
Al-Salam Aleykum,

How do you define the following terms:

Ruh-spirit
Nafs-soul
Aqel-mind
Sader-breast
Qalb-heart
Fouad-heart
Lib-core

... i may add some later on.

Thanks in advance :)

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Al-Salam Aleykum,

How do you define the following terms:

Ruh-spirit
Nafs-soul
Aqel-mind
Sader-breast
Qalb-heart
Fouad-heart
Lib-core

... i may add some later on.

Thanks in advance :)

From my understanding you are looking to find out the usage of these terms in religious context. As for the literal Arabic translation can be found in classical Arabic Lexicon.

When trying to understand the deeper meanings of these terms, the perspective of Jamat Ahmadiyya is formed on the usage of the term in the Holy Quran.

I have found an article highlighting the usage of the terms Spirit (Ruh) and Soul (nafs). I will quote below the our understanding of these two terms that relate to the human being.

In general speech, a person’s Spirit (Ruh) and Soul (Nafs) are usually interchangeable.
At times the Qur’an also uses these two terms indicating the same thing; that is, the life force
within the human body.

However, in several instances in the Quran, these terms have different meanings. Therein Spirit denotes the spiritual faculty of man to receive God’s word,and Soul indicates the Self, a living person, or the entire inner nature of man – his heart, mind and conscience. The Quran also claims that God has Spirit, and He breathes His Spirit in human beings. This means that God gives life to humans, and also that a spiritual faculty is granted to them enabling them to receive the Divine communion by God’s will.(The Holy Quran: Spirit and Soul, By Imam Mubasher Ahmad)

The article in the magazine Muslim Sunrise quotes multiple instances of the usage of these terms to explain the meanings. The entire article would not fit here. This edition also contains articles comparing the concept of soul in different religions (Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhism).

The Promised Messiah (as) also wrote a book Philosophy of Teachings of Islam which has extensively explained Ruh and Nafs and the link between them in our lives.

Here is the link to the magazine directing to the page of the first article begins: Muslim Sunrise, Winter 2006

I will try to find usage of the other terms in the Holy Quran as I have not studied them before. I am quite sure that in the 5-Volume Commentary Khalifatul Masih II would have gone into great detail under verses where the term appears, often too much detail. Since you have arisen an interest in me I will also be looking to understand these terms from the Holy Quran, time permitting. The Index of the commentary will likely be my starting point. There is also the Dictionary of the Holy Quran which lists the verses where the terms have been used.