• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual practice is not about proving your self or the teaching to non-believers

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I understand that non believers have the wish to get a solid proof from spiritual practitioners:)
But that is not what spiritual practice is about :)
Spiritual practice is about realizing the truth from within your self, and the "need" to prove to others become less important the more you cultivate your mind and body.
Cultivation is self realization or the way to enlightenment for you as a person.

Two things can happen, you as an cultivator meet someone who have more wisdom then your self, and you can learn from this person, or since you do not understand his/her wisdom so you reject it as false or lies. But just because you did not understand does not mean the other person is wrong.

You just saw the "truth" from a different level. And each level show truth differently.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I understand that non believers have the wish to get a solid proof from spiritual practitioners:)
Spiritual practice is about realizing the truth from within your self, and the "need" to prove to others become less important the more you cultivate your mind and body.
Cultivation is self realization or the way to enlightenment for you as a person.

Two things can happen, you as an cultivator meet someone who have more wisdom then your self, and you can learn from this person, or since you do not understand his/her wisdom so you reject it as false or lies. But just because you did not understand does not mean the other person is wrong.

You just saw the "truth" from a different level. And each level show truth differently.
Hint:

You cannot get solid proof from spiritual practitioners. You can get solid proof for yourself however but you're not going to be able to share it if there's nothing actually there.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Is it possible the wise can learn from the novice what she may not know herself?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is it possible the wise can learn from the novice what she may not know herself?
Not in the way i understand it no. A person who have realized wisdom on a higher level would see everything up to his/her level already. But not see or understand the wisdom on higher levels then already realized.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Depends on just what you're talking about. My Guru would ask me questions like "What crop is that?" as we drove along the highway. Another time after we had a long discussion about the differences between Canadians and Americans, He thanked me for my insights. So when experiences get shared, yes, the teacher can learn also. But it's on a totally different level.

One falsehood that is out there is that the teacher knows everything. In terms of wisdom of deeper spiritual matters, sure.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Depends on just what you're talking about. My Guru would ask me questions like "What crop is that?" as we drove along the highway. Another time after we had a long discussion about the differences between Canadians and Americans, He thanked me for my insights. So when experiences get shared, yes, the teacher can learn also. But it's on a totally different level.

One falsehood that is out there is that the teacher knows everything. In terms of wisdom of deeper spiritual matters, sure.
The teacher understand all within his/her wisdom level of the Cultivation they have done, that Said it is possible they do t know mundane trivial things they would not need in their Cultivation

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

More the spiritual matters. Most people I know by culture, Americans as well, tend to have a hierarchy/dichotomy view: inner/outer, spiritual/materialism, wise/novice, mater/slave, and so forth. I've always felt uncomfortable with it. Religions that have that type of relationship doesn't sit right. From a cultural (as opposed to political) perspective, I understand it but personally, I'm always in awe to the nature of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
More the spiritual matters. Most people I know by culture, Americans as well, tend to have a hierarchy/dichotomy view: inner/outer, spiritual/materialism, wise/novice, mater/slave, and so forth. I've always felt uncomfortable with it. Religions that have that type of relationship doesn't sit right. From a cultural (as opposed to political) perspective, I understand it but personally, I'm always in awe to the nature of it.

I am uncomfortable with that as well, as often the seemingly unworthy are the 'wise'. I always walked alongside my students in school. They did not follow me, nor me follow them. It was a mutual relationship.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Very articulately stated! I agree completely.