• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Health: What is it and Why is it Important?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Honesty, and all the things that bring peace and love are far from arbitrary. If goodness is on a personal whim then anything goes. Iow, there really is something very real about virtues and vices. It all comes down to how a person themself desires to be treated. Spiritual health is about general principles in life that bring about good results. There is not anything religious about it. Its a heart issue and a lot of people do not recognize their own spirituality. So then spirituality gets stuffed into a religious context and it does not have to be that way.

Just two comments.

Honesty can be bad, destructive at times. I don't see a "religious" adherence to honesty as a necessary virtue.
"Goodness" is not a whim. Maybe better if it was. Then we could all decide what goodness is. Goodness is cultural, experiential and I suspect even genetic. There are a lot of external influences on what we see as good. Since culture, experience and genetics vary, what individuals see as goodness varies. They don't choose "goodness" at a whim.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I generally mistrust anyone who uses the term "spiritual health" sincerely. I think it's generally a combination of:

- real universal concerns like fulfillment and emotional health,
- for religious people, seeing to the tenets and observances of their religion, and
- trying to impose the idea that at least low-level religiosity is a human need.

If someone told me that their job is to see to people's "spiritual health," my first bet would be that they're a hospital chaplain who's trying to find ways to put their nose into things that they really have no business being involved with.

Didn't think about it that way but yeah I could see that.

Someone walks up to you and says "I'm concerned about your spiritual health"...
"Get the **** out of here!" :mad:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Just two comments.

Honesty can be bad, destructive at times. I don't see a "religious" adherence to honesty as a necessary virtue.
"Goodness" is not a whim. Maybe better if it was. Then we could all decide what goodness is. Goodness is cultural, experiential and I suspect even genetic. There are a lot of external influences on what we see as good. Since culture, experience and genetics vary, what individuals see as goodness varies. They don't choose "goodness" at a whim.

That depends on how you define honesty. Some people define honesty as telling the truth but that is a poor definition. Often times it is what you do NOT say or do that determines how honest one is. Honesty is more about self responsible motivations. And to be self responsible one has to exercise good judgment. Good judgment is never destructive.

If someone deserves something they should receive it; that is honesty.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Didn't think about it that way but yeah I could see that.

Someone walks up to you and says "I'm concerned about your spiritual health"...
"Get the **** out of here!" :mad:
I have a pretty negative view of chaplaincy, so the odds of that happening are actually pretty decent.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That depends on how you define honesty. Some people define honesty as telling the truth but that is a poor definition. Often times it is what you do NOT say or do that determines how honest one is. Honesty is more about self responsible motivations. And to be self responsible one has to exercise good judgment. Good judgment is never destructive.

If someone deserves something they should receive it; that is honesty.

Sure, I'll agree that folks should get what they deserve but then what they deserve is up for debate.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I believe spiritual health can be attained by following the laws and teachings of the Manifestation of God in each age He appears. I believe truth is relative not absolute so what one Manifestation prescribed for one age may not be relevant for a latter age and may be annulled by a subsequent Manifestation to meet the exigencies of that time.

For instance in a desert environment where there are no courts, lawyers, police, prisons or corrective services penalties may need to be harsh to maintain law and order and deter and prevent repeat offending.

But in this age we have facilities to both protect society and rehabilitate offenders so a current Manifestation would annul those laws as times are different and more humane laws can be applied.

The same with laws like holy war. In this age of nuclear weapons other solutions such as reconciliation through consultation can achieve peace without endangering the world.

In an age of the melting pot where all races, nationalities and religions are intermingling threatening conflict, a new Manifestation I believe would focus on unity in diversity not the supremacy of one race, nation or religion over another.

I do not believe man’s human finite error prone mind capable of solving unaided the intricacies of today’s problems and the relevant spiritual guidance can only come from an error free, all knowing and all wise Source. This to me is proven by all our wars and our failed efforts to establish world peace.

We can always try the ways offered by the latest Manifestation to restore spiritual health to our planet and if we find they don’t work then have another world war.

But to me, not to even consider trying something different after two world wars would be unconscionably irresponsible.

We’ve repeatedly tried our version of right and wrong, good and bad, moral and immoral which has only ended in a divided and spiritually unhealthy world so why not try the Manifestation’s version of spiritual health.

Why is spiritual health important? Because I believe without it we could descend into a complete collapse of society that would eclipse even the fall of the Holy Roman Empire.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe spiritual health can be attained by following the laws and teachings of the Manifestation of God in each age He appears. I believe truth is relative not absolute so what one Manifestation prescribed for one age may not be relevant for a latter age and may be annulled by a subsequent Manifestation to meet the exigencies of that time.

For instance in a desert environment where there are no courts, lawyers, police, prisons or corrective services penalties may need to be harsh to maintain law and order and deter and prevent repeat offending.

But in this age we have facilities to both protect society and rehabilitate offenders so a current Manifestation would annul those laws as times are different and more humane laws can be applied.

The same with laws like holy war. In this age of nuclear weapons other solutions such as reconciliation through consultation can achieve peace without endangering the world.

In an age of the melting pot where all races, nationalities and religions are intermingling threatening conflict, a new Manifestation I believe would focus on unity in diversity not the supremacy of one race, nation or religion over another.

I do not believe man’s human finite error prone mind capable of solving unaided the intricacies of today’s problems and the relevant spiritual guidance can only come from an error free, all knowing and all wise Source. This to me is proven by all our wars and our failed efforts to establish world peace.

We can always try the ways offered by the latest Manifestation to restore spiritual health to our planet and if we find they don’t work then have another world war.

But to me, not to even consider trying something different after two world wars would be unconscionably irresponsible.

We’ve repeatedly tried our version of right and wrong, good and bad, moral and immoral which has only ended in a divided and spiritually unhealthy world so why not try the Manifestation’s version of spiritual health.

Why is spiritual health important? Because I believe without it we could descend into a complete collapse of society that would eclipse even the fall of the Holy Roman Empire.

What is Baha'i's version of spiritual health?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
What is Baha'i's version of spiritual health?

I believe it is to follow the guidance and counsels of the Manifestation of God for this age. And for future ages the Manifestations Who appear then. We are an ever evolving society so we need to keep adapting to new realities.

‘The healer of all thine ills is remembrance of me forget it not’
(Baha’u’llah)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
IMO..
Good spiritual health is being at peace with life.

Sure. Because one is following a set of rules which is commonly accepted. Therefore no chaos in the group.

Life, IMO, often requires an aggressive stance. Not that I'm against a life of peace but such a life is not necessary for happiness. Some can be happy in chaos. IOW I suppose one could have internal peace in the midst of external chaos. Others could be completely triggered by what is going on around them.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
To be clear there is overlap between physical, psychological, social and spiritual well being. They can all influence each other. I agree environmental and genetic influences are important determinants of personality but so too are the conscious decisions we make in life.

We can not change much of the hand we are dealt in life through genetics or the family we are brought up with. We make choices about how we play the cards we are dealt and that involves moral choice too.

Societal laws along with moral laws are not arbitrary and have similarities across cultures. Stealing and murder are two obvious examples. Obviously a judge can take into account a person's background but I doubt if any judicial system would not convict someone of homicide on account of having a difficult upbringing.

Of course being 'spiritual' is much more than 'not committing crimes'.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When considering spiritual health as with physical health it’s useful to consider the daily habits and practices that would promote health. For example eating a balanced diet, getting plenty of physical exercises, being socially connected, avoidance of harmful substances and adequate sleep are all essential to maintaining good physical health. In my faith prayer, reading and studying sacred writings, application of what is learned, service to our community and teaching others are essential to good spiritual health.
Much to admire in your post.

But is there any important difference between emotional health and spiritual health?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Much to admire in your post.

But is there any important difference between emotional health and spiritual health?

Thank you.

Emotionally someone can be happy and free from common mental heath problems such as depression and anxiety. While being happy they could also be somewhat of a psychopath taking pleasure in exploiting others for their own benefit. That to me would be a spiritual problem.

One could also be a religious hypocrite, espousing one thing and acting completely differently. They may quite happily behave in this manner lacking insight in their many contradictions. That too would be a spiritual problem.

An atheist may consistently act with integrity in his dealings with others. That would be an important component of having good spiritual health. So spiritual health does not necessarily result from theism.

Hope that clarifies important distinctions as to spiritual health is and isn’t. Spirituality can have very different meanings.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you.

Emotionally someone can be happy and free from common mental heath problems such as depression and anxiety. While being happy they could also be somewhat of a psychopath taking pleasure in exploiting others for their own benefit. That to me would be a spiritual problem.

One could also be a religious hypocrite, espousing one thing and acting completely differently. They may quite happily behave in this manner lacking insight in their many contradictions. That too would be a spiritual problem.

An atheist may consistently act with integrity in his dealings with others. That would be an important component of having good spiritual health. So spiritual health does not necessarily result from theism.

Hope that clarifies important distinctions as to spiritual health is and isn’t. Spirituality can have very different meanings.
Thanks for that. It doesn't sound very different to my views on decency as the desirable common ground between us all, regardless of views on religion (not to mention politics).

My best wishes for your endeavors and adventures.

sealchan

I attended a seminar over the weekend that focused amongst other weighty topics ‘Spiritual Health’. As a medical doctor I’ve worked in the field of health for many years. When I worked in psychiatry, mental health was a central concern. As a general practitioner the main focus is physical health. Perhaps in the future I’ll become an interfaith chaplain and my main concern will be spiritual health. Who knows!?

When considering spiritual health as with physical health it’s useful to consider the daily habits and practices that would promote health. For example eating a balanced diet, getting plenty of physical exercises, being socially connected, avoidance of harmful substances and adequate sleep are all essential to maintaining good physical health. In my faith prayer, reading and studying sacred writings, application of what is learned, service to our community and teaching others are essential to good spiritual health.

What is spiritual health to you? Is it important and what steps would you take to achieve and maintain it? Is there anything in your worldview that is particularly emphasised to optimise health?

I actually believe that there is no real difference between spiritual and psychological or mental health. I believe that the spiritual is a function of the psychological. In many ways good spiritual health is a way of saying one has a healthy, adaptation relationship to one's intuition.

Ironically many religions make it hard for the intuitive function to operate by teaching that spiritual truths are literal rather than metaphorical and by labeling certain inner voices as of an evil source rather than of a good source. Polarizing ones inner voices into good or evil is to divide ones self against ones self which usually leads to maladaptive and immoral action.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To be clear there is overlap between physical, psychological, social and spiritual well being. They can all influence each other. I agree environmental and genetic influences are important determinants of personality but so too are the conscious decisions we make in life.
But there must be a difference if you see "working in psychiatry" and "concerning yourself with spiritual health" as different things.

What do you see as the difference? What would you do as a chaplain that you weren't doing as a mental health professional?

(Besides seeing to religious observances, of course)

Ponder This

The word 'health' is actually a bit strange of a word to use.
But I suppose the implication is that there are spiritual illnesses.
Perhaps things like hubris or greed which aren't apparently physical, mental or emotional faults.
- meaning that a person can be physically adept, mentally acute, and have a stable emotional state while also expressing these undesired traits.
We have to wonder what is it about being greedy or self-conceited or what-have-you that is defective.

atanu

Premium Member
What is spiritual health to you? Is it important and what steps would you take to achieve and maintain it? Is there anything in your worldview that is particularly emphasised to optimise health?

This is an excellent question that may help to crystallize thoughts of spiritually inclined people.

As per Advaita Vedanta, Brahman/God is non dual. All phenomena are the temporary effects to which senses and mind are unceasingly attached. This much is intellectual knowledge. Knowing this intellectually should bring in everlasting peace. But it does not happen. It does not happen because, senses, mind, and intellect have to be purified and weaned away from the falsity of phenomena. At every step nature offers a choice of good versus pleasant to everyone. The spiritual practice is to choose the good over the pleasant. When the good choice itself coincides with the potential pleasant choice, one can take that as the sign of robust spiritual health.

YMMV.

JJ50

I attended a seminar over the weekend that focused amongst other weighty topics ‘Spiritual Health’. As a medical doctor I’ve worked in the field of health for many years. When I worked in psychiatry, mental health was a central concern. As a general practitioner the main focus is physical health. Perhaps in the future I’ll become an interfaith chaplain and my main concern will be spiritual health. Who knows!?

A myth, imo.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually believe that there is no real difference between spiritual and psychological or mental health. I believe that the spiritual is a function of the psychological. In many ways good spiritual health is a way of saying one has a healthy, adaptation relationship to one's intuition.

Ironically many religions make it hard for the intuitive function to operate by teaching that spiritual truths are literal rather than metaphorical and by labeling certain inner voices as of an evil source rather than of a good source. Polarizing ones inner voices into good or evil is to divide ones self against ones self which usually leads to maladaptive and immoral action.

I agree religion at its worst can lead to literalism and paradoxically promote exactly the opposite of what the Founders intended.