• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual atrophy

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So, you say that Hinduism (Sanathana Dharma) does not include that belief?
Are you certain about that?
I would make no claim about Hinduism. My point was solely in regard to Buddhism. Perhaps a different quote would be acceptable, without referencing other religions? The essential point is simply that as the term is commonly understood, Buddhism rejects the concept of a soul.

RestlessSoul

When I was a Christian, prayer was useful. I don't pray anymore because I don't know who to pray to. Meditation I would do too, as well as divination. I don't do those anymore, nor do I have a shrine anymore. Tai chi as well

Does it matter who or what you pray to? Or how you meditate? The important thing with these practices, I think, is just to do them, and if you find yourself seized by some rebelliousness or doubt, don’t do anything; just sit in silence if you can, focus on your breathing, wait for God or the Universe to make their presence felt.

PureX

Veteran Member
Spirit is automatic. I just need to get out of my own way. So I don't focus on it looking to control it's 'state'. I let it be what it is unless I see it sliding into an abyss of some kind. But that very rare, these days.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I would make no claim about Hinduism. My point was solely in regard to Buddhism

Perhaps a different quote would be acceptable, without referencing other religions? The essential point is simply that as the term is commonly understood, Buddhism rejects the concept of a soul.
The Buddhist part was already clear to me

Because you used "differentiates it from other religions" I asked

Advaitha Teaching in Hinduism, as I understand it, does include, like Buddhism, this non Dual concept that you explained

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The Buddhist part was already clear to me

Because you used "differentiates it from other religions" I asked

Advaitha Teaching in Hinduism, as I understand it, does include, like Buddhism, this non Dual concept that you explained
Thank you. :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Oh no not this rabbit hole!

Reincarnation is not a Buddhist belief, as understood in that an abiding entity continues to persist.

"Would you be surprised to learn that reincarnation is not a Buddhist teaching?
Reincarnation normally is understood to be the transmigration of a soul to another body after death. There is no such teaching in Buddhism"
- What the Buddha Didn't Teach About Reincarnation

The Buddhist belief is in rebirth - the usual analogy being a flame on a candle lighting another candle. From the link above, my understanding concurs with:

"Being born and dying continues unbroken but changes every moment."
From the linked article:
Famous Tibetan teacher Chogyam Trunpa Rinpoche once observed that what gets reborn is our neurosis--our habits of suffering and dissatisfaction.​

Or as a westerner named Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote:
“We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” :tonguewink:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Or as a westerner named Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote:
“We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” :tonguewink:

They seem to be congregating in the USA presently (present company excepted of course :D )

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My soul without be trying to show "humility" and "humbleness" nor posing "exaggeration", has never had this much guidance but never been this close to perishing and burning all it's goodness.

It's hard to be in love with a person you believe will go to hell for their ways yet adoring their ways in many ways. It means I'm confused even if my mind has clear proofs, my heart, is not submissive.

Judgmental is a hard path, because, you become the dark knight no one likes. Messengers were all hated for the judgment of God they came towards their people almost always.

But I don't want to escape it for hard path, just it's overwhelming difficult to bear the vision and belief of hell. It weighs heavily on me and concerns me all the time. Especially for Ms. Special.

InChrist

Free4ever
My spirit used to feel like it was well used, like an oiled machine. Now my spirit feels all rusty.
What's the longest spiritual drought you've been in? Are you in one currently? My current drought has been all year. My spirit is atrophying. Do you agree that you have to work out your spirit like a muscle in order to strengthen it? I do.
I know the route out. Water reaches the lowest point and erodes the hardest rocks. I just need to drink. I just don't know when that motivation will come.

...Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit,whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

John 7:37-39

RestlessSoul

Know Him to be enshrined in your heart always.
Truly there is nothing more in life to know.
Meditate and realise that this world
Is filled with the presence of God.

- Shvetashvatara Upanishad