• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Atheism

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Can an atheist can be spiritual?

If so, how? If not, why not?

Kapalika

Premium Member
I've done it before in the past. Chaos Magicians do it. Lots of Satanists (in their own way) do it. There's also a lot of other magicy and kinda occultish belief systems too that do this like most of Luciferianism and heck if I can recall what all else now.

In another realm, lots of forms of Buddhism do it. There's even atheistic schools of thought within Hinduism (we got at least one or two atheist Hindus around here on the forums).

There's also "atheists for Jesus" weirdly enough as well as who knows what all else. And then even the "spiritual but not religious" wishy washy types that really annoy me both IRL and online.

I'ts been validated by sheer number of instances although not every case is spiritual depending on the criteria. I'm not sure what a good definition of spiritual would be but it isn't arbitrary and I wouldn't fall victim to language to say that since I can't easily define it that it's a useless description. Maybe I'll come back with a concise definition. I just know it when I see it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I think it depends on how you define "spiritual"; an atheist obviously can't be spiritual in the sense of connecting with a supposed god or gods. However, I personally define spirituality as connecting to one's self and manipulating it, whether through mental or physical means. By this definition, meditation is a prime example of spirituality that doesn't require belief in any god or gods. Another example is romantic conversation (although that involves one or more people besides oneself).

This is a very brief answer, though. There are other examples; the two above are only off the top of my head.

ajay0

Obviously, all conceptualised identities are barriers to truth, as you perceive everything as per the coloured lens of your beliefs, and reject and ignore everything else.

Imho,the correct mental position I would say is agnosticism, and the agnostic is better positioned than the theist or atheist to perceive the truth better.

Socrates, who was judged the wisest person in Athens, was an agnostic who admitted frankly that he did not know.

As per him, “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” And this helped him in holistic perception without any conceptual filters blocking his vision. I feel that this is a very healthy attitude.

It is an unconditioned mind that can perceive the truth better than a conditioned one.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Sure. First, though, the meaning of the word 'spiritual' can be all over the map. To me, it's the search for real truth, real beauty, real joy and real love. When someone stops living a superficial day-to-day life and wants something more real, they are looking for a spiritual path. I found this example:

Joy-and-Meaning.jpg

Laika

Premium Member

Yes. If Religion and spirituality are a product of man, an atheist who lacks belief in a deity or the supernatural can still have a relationship with the "self" and their inner being. It doesn't disappear, but rather changes into something that may be rational, philosophical or even scientific. Admittedly there are some taboos around it because its something that is difficult to prove and often slips outside of logic and reason because its about how we feel. But it is definitely possible as part of understanding psychology and exploring our own inner depths.

If so, how?

There is no reason not to use practices from meditation to get in tune with our own sense of self. The right kind of music that helps you unwind and unload your head of thoughts is great too. If anything, spirituality is to feel something so acutely that is represents a different level of consciousness. I have depression and, whilst it is not always welcome, some of the feeling of despair is very spiritual because it means coming to term with how small you are. humans are naturally hedonistic, so being aware of the inevitability of our own death does demand something "more" which is beyond your own individual ego and existence.

There is a desire to connect with something "bigger", something infinite and eternal, and whilst that may not literally be possible in the case of some kind of after life, the desire for immortality comes through in believing in the importance of your works and the consequences of your actions. That's a way to define yourself and to find ways that you can matter. Purely in an emotional sense of experiencing a kind of oneness, you can feel great empathy with "humanity" or experience a connection with nature. For me it's a spiritual experience to be around trees at a certain time of year. you can't beat a long walk in the forest.

5596c02e-e20c-4f72-a2e8-e684cae70af4_740x360-ForestEcology-landingspagina-Speulderbos_24e24e02_740x360.jpg

David T

Premium Member
Obviously, all conceptualised identities are barriers to truth, as you perceive everything as per the coloured lens of your beliefs, and reject and ignore everything else.

Imho,the correct mental position I would say is agnosticism, and the agnostic is better positioned than the theist or atheist to perceive the truth better.

Socrates, who was judged the wisest person in Athens, was an agnostic who admitted frankly that he did not know.

As per him, “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” And this helped him in holistic perception without any conceptual filters blocking his vision. I feel that this is a very healthy attitude.

It is an unconditioned mind that can perceive the truth better than a conditioned one.
I say none of the above!!!! Nature as home. My daughter can't conceptualization intellectually, I believe, I don't believe, i am agnostic, therefore all three are inferior not superior. All are intellectual teleological anyway so I have to just ignore it for what it is the cranium fooling itself.

David T

Premium Member
Sure. First, though, the meaning of the word 'spiritual' can be all over the map. To me, it's the search for real truth, real beauty, real joy and real love. When someone stops living a superficial day-to-day life and wants something more real, they are looking for a spiritual path. I found this example:

Joy-and-Meaning.jpg
Totally agreed the flip can be said as well. Death is a curious blind spot.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I intentionally did not provide any sort of definition, as I'm interested to see atheists' perspective on what spirituality is.
AFAICT, depending on context, "spirituality" either just means "religion" or means something that is:

- put forward as vaguely positive,
- exempt from critical thinking and standards of evidence, and
- somehow aided by what passes for yoga in the West, crystals, or both.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. If Religion and spirituality are a product of man, an atheist who lacks belief in a deity or the supernatural can still have a relationship with the "self" and their inner being. It doesn't disappear, but rather changes into something that may be rational, philosophical or even scientific. Admittedly there are some taboos around it because its something that is difficult to prove and often slips outside of logic and reason because its about how we feel. But it is definitely possible as part of understanding psychology and exploring our own inner depths.

There is no reason not to use practices from meditation to get in tune with our own sense of self. The right kind of music that helps you unwind and unload your head of thoughts is great too. If anything, spirituality is to feel something so acutely that is represents a different level of consciousness. I have depression and, whilst it is not always welcome, some of the feeling of despair is very spiritual because it means coming to term with how small you are. humans are naturally hedonistic, so being aware of the inevitability of our own death does demand something "more" which is beyond your own individual ego and existence.

There is a desire to connect with something "bigger", something infinite and eternal, and whilst that may not literally be possible in the case of some kind of after life, the desire for immortality comes through in believing in the importance of your works and the consequences of your actions. That's a way to define yourself and to find ways that you can matter. Purely in an emotional sense of experiencing a kind of oneness, you can feel great empathy with "humanity" or experience a connection with nature. For me it's a spiritual experience to be around trees at a certain time of year. you can't beat a long walk in the forest.

5596c02e-e20c-4f72-a2e8-e684cae70af4_740x360-ForestEcology-landingspagina-Speulderbos_24e24e02_740x360.jpg

Do you find any conflict between materialism and spirituality?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Joy-and-Meaning.jpg
What makes these things necessarily "spiritual?"

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium OK, but this discussion was not put in the atheist DIR. The question was addressed to everyone.

Indeed. All are free to participate and respond in accordance with what their personal view of spirituality is.

I am, however, specifically interested in atheistic views of spirituality given the topic.