• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual alchemy?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have a Taoist I Ching. It will often talk about spiritual alchemy in the commentaries of the hexagrams. Truth be told, I skipped the introduction of this I Ching, so when I get home today I will dig it out of my book box and read for myself.

I was wondering if anyone here knows a thing or two about spiritual alchemy?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Spiritual alchemy is the art of changing ones mental state from one polarity to another, bringing it into balance, and allowing spiritual development to occur.

Edit: it's almost like working psychology and therapy on oneself, imo.

WonderingWorrier

I think the mythical "philospohers stone" of alchemy is simply the heart of the philosopher:

Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the Lord of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the Lord of hosts.
Zechariah 7:12

And the different metals is the law commanded to Moses.

As it says:

"And Eleazar the priest said unto the men of war which went to the battle, This is the ordinance of the law which the Lord commanded Moses;

Only the gold, and the silver, the brass, the iron, the tin, and the lead", Numbers 31:22-23

The law of metals above shows descending order highest to lowest:
Gold - Silver - Brass - Iron - Tin - Lead.

Therefore "turning lead into gold" would be turning lowest into highest.

Lead - Tin - Iron - Brass - Silver - Gold

WonderingWorrier

“When the highest type of men hear Tao,
They diligently practice it.

When the average type of men hear Tao,
They half believe in it.

When the lowest type of men hear Tao,
They laugh heartily at it.

Without the laugh, there is no Tao”

Lao Tzu.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Spiritual alchemy is the art of changing ones mental state from one polarity to another, bringing it into balance, and allowing spiritual development to occur.

Edit: it's almost like working psychology and therapy on oneself, imo.
your language is a bit skewed. to bring something into balance it can't be polarized. polarization is one extreme in relationship to another.

the way is neither to the left, nor the right, but in the middle. Like buddha talked about the middle way.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I have a Taoist I Ching. It will often talk about spiritual alchemy in the commentaries of the hexagrams. Truth be told, I skipped the introduction of this I Ching, so when I get home today I will dig it out of my book box and read for myself.

spiritual just means mental and alchemy is about changing something base into something more complex, refined.

so that process can be slow but when you add a third part such as pressure, stress, fire, that can catalyze the process.

you discover what someone's true mettle(metal) is when they are put in a scenario of extreme duress. so then there is the mulling, meditation on ideas, thoughts, beliefs and testing those in real world experiences. and that changes the self; if one can learn something from the pain, the failures, until one day in a flash of insight, enlightenment. as plato said, "Last of he will be able to see the sun, and not mere reflections of him in the water, but he will see him in his own proper place, and not in another; and he will contemplate him as he is."

i was called out in the dark by a choir of beautiful cheats -- Called Out in the Dark - Snow Patrol

raising the kundalini, the naga raja or naje haje, the shekinah, the phoenix

Woem-headdress.jpg

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
your language is a bit skewed. to bring something into balance it can't be polarized. polarization is one extreme in relationship to another.

the way is neither to the left, nor the right, but in the middle. Like buddha talked about the middle way.

There is always two extremes (a polarity), that needs to be balanced. My wording may have been clunky, but I think the gist was received.

wellwisher

The alchemists were the pioneers of modern science. Many of these were doctors and priests. Being pioneers, they did not have modern science to turn to, for their education. They had to invent and define these things from scratch. In such a situation; unknowns, the unconscious mind becomes active and projected into their science experiments. Much of their experimental techniques and tools are still used today; extraction and distillation.

Without any of the modern analytical tools that allow us to see tiny things, they would theorize how chemical materials combined to form new substances, using mythological projections from their unconscious mind. Jung would show how these were based on archetypes of DNA based firmware common to all humans. Essentially they were reverse mapping the unconscious mind, and using that to form a system for chemical explanations. They were mystical philosophers as much as chemists.

I remember when I was studying collective human symbolism through the collective works of Carl Jung. I was quite interested in learning the ways of the alchemists. I was also a Chemical Engineer at that time who was given an emergency project to extract mercury from water to a standard that did not yet exist. I had to invent new best available technology; BAT. There was nothing in the literature or off the shelf to do this. I decided to try an alchemist approach, since they knew lots about mercury but in their own unique mystical way. I used their reasoning and invented the BAT.

Mercury was called quick silver. It was also associated with the mercurial dragon which had a symbolic connection to Satan. Mercury is a poison and has mind altering properties; mad hatters. This was infer by the alchemists through the Satan projections and symbolism.

In their system like attracts like; birds of a feather will flock together. Since mercury was symbolized by Satan, I knew I needed to use things attributed to hell, since these would be birds of a feather. I used sulfur and iron, with sulfur the smelly smoke of hell, and iron symbolic of the god of war.

The final process used an anion exchange resin that I saturated with sulfide ions. This became a modified cation exchange resin to which I then attached ferric ions with Iron +3. The mercury in solution will be attracted to this reactive hellish surface; war and hell fire, exchanging itself with the reactive ferric iron, to form mercury sulfide, which is now fixed; trapped, to the resin and very insoluble. I invented it in two weeks and treated 1 million gallons of water below the standard required.

I even published how I invented this, using alchemy reasoning, in the science literature. This was greeted with mixed reviews but nobody could doubt the effectiveness of the final product. After that I was called the mercury man.

It appears the structuring of the unconscious mind reflect the physical reality that we live in and projections can be useful for understanding what is both inside and outside. I Ching is often about the synchronicity; meaningful coincidences, between the two.

Last edited: