• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual activity experience or metaphor?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
:) A similie is just a metaphor that is not cloaked, so it loses a lot of its artistic impact.

I know. I liked what you said, but it seemed more apt to call it a simile in that case, as you used "like". They're really two different ways of accomplishing the same thing. In any case, that was a good metaphor/simile. :)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Except if you're an atheist, in which case the greatest reality could come from a number of experiences.
Atheists would dismiss spiritual experience altogether, and explain it as something else entirely. Since this thread assumes the existence of spiritual experience, I should think atheists would be unable to participate in the discussion, because the existence of spiritual experience is not germain to their POV.

logician

Atheists would dismiss spiritual experience altogether, and explain it as something else entirely. Since this thread assumes the existence of spiritual experience, I should think atheists would be unable to participate in the discussion, because the existence of spiritual experience is not germain to their POV.

It is illogical to assume that an experience of the greatest reality could only be a spirtual experience, even for a theist.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I read on another thread
Quote:
Spiritual activity is not a metaphor. It's an experience.
stephenw--
For a long time I considered it metaphor. Recently I've had cause to think even more than I normally do about spiritual matters and my view has changed.
I agree with this statement. It's like a 'snapshot' of where I'm at in relation to spirituality and religion. What does anyone else think?

Your personal experience of MEANING in a metaphor (is what) holds power for you, whereas the metaphor unREALized in you, is little more than a potential idea of something outside yourself.

Originally Posted by Willamena
*blink* What is "spiritual activity"?
stephenw--
For me it includes thinking about life and God, sitting in a church, going to a funeral, a wedding or a christening, saying a prayer, reading certain material.

For me, my whole life is a "spiritual activity". Life is full of metaphor & meaning, sign & symbol, charm & spell, everywhere. Everywhere I look, everywhere I am, everything I do and see, is a potential expression of deeper/hidden/new /personalized meaning. All I need to do is simply live awakened to the EXPERIENCE of each and every moment..... and what I find there. Contemplation, Inspiration, Realization. Far more than a metaphor, but a way of life.

*Nixxie*

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
It wouldn't be illogical if "the greatest reality" was equated with "God".
But then it would again if you would equate "God"with "bus" again.

Then again, both has no use now really..

Edit: and after rereading your post and understanding this time, I would like to withdraw my post :)
Edit2: If you would equate "God" again to "bus" however, it would fit logicians version more..

Sententia

Hi Bishadi,
I was at my aunts funeral and I experienced it, she had been baptised in the font that was right beside her coffin, so had many of my relations, that really struck me. This, this spirituality is real. After the funeral service we went to the graveyard, many of my relations and ancestors are buried there, it just became apparent to me that while I may well spend the rest of my life trying to rationalise the feeling that came to me, to do so (i.e. rationalise it) may well be beyond me. That does not take away from the authenticity of the experience. Spirituality is experience that it may or may not be possible for me to rationalise, I was approaching it the wrong way around.
I wasn't looking to find peace but this experience has given it to me.

Personally, espcially at a time of extreme emotional anguish, I would not accept anything I was feeling as spirituality and leave it at that.

I would want to find out what it is. I have almost died once and been in a coma before. I have been to about 10 funerals in my lifetime and was bedside when my step father died. I have never felt a profound sense of anything other then what one would expect. If anything ever happened to me that I would personally consider to be supernatural then it would be come my life long goal to discover what it was. It would be my drive and focus to uncover it. My curouisity and stubborness would never allow me to do otherwise.

I would suspect neuroscience would hold the answer. Some may say psychology or hypnosis but my bets on neuroscience. hehe.

Runt

There is no such thing as an unmediated experience. By that, I (well, actually Katz or King, the author who originally stated it) mean that any and all sensory (or in the case of a mystical experience, supersensory) input is immediately incorporated by an individual into various culturally-constructed schemas about "how the world works". Therefore the interpretation of sensory or supersensory data is part of the experience, and generally speaking, these interpretations generally serve to reinforce, rather than challenge or reconstruct---an already-held paradigm.

So what then is a mystical experience? It is the interpretation of sensory or supersensory data by an individual inbedded in a particular cultural context. In that way, then, mystical experiences are symbolic representations not of reality, but rather are symbols of symbols of reality, in that they are symbols of particular paradigms to which mystics belong. A specific piece of sensory or supersensory datum which helps generate the experience, on the other hand, is a phenomenon, not symbol...