• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Spirit' in Judaism

LAGoff

I have been a 'frequent' poster here for several years. I realize that what I am saying in this post should forfeit the privilege of posting here, but perhaps you will allow this:
I practiced Judaism to the best of my ability for 30 years. I found it often edifying, comforting, and -- at times -- profound.
About 3 months ago I 'got' the Holy Spirit of NT fame.
The difference between my observing the mitsvot and my following the Holy Spirit seems to be the difference between having and not having a circumcised heart.
My question -- which may be obviated by my new allegiance -- is how can observing the mitsvot go from being edifying and comforting to making deep changes in one's heart?
Thank you!
Lenny

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'm suprised you needed to ask this question. Shouldn't the Holy Spirit be guiding you to the answers without consulting a forum?

how can observing the mitsvot go from being edifying and comforting to making deep changes in one's heart?
You're asking how? It's discussed in Tanya. It looks like the topic is discussed starting at Chapter 44; but it would be good to go back to Chapter 40 and start there.

Edit: I'm also seeing mention of it in the later section of Tanya, in Iggeret HaKodesh, epistle 4.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"God's Spirit" is mentioned many times in the Tanakh, so I tend to think that the reference is likely the same.

The difference between my observing the mitsvot and my following the Holy Spirit seems to be the difference between having and not having a circumcised heart.
That is not the fault of the mitzvot, which are a means to an end.

My question -- which may be obviated by my new allegiance -- is how can observing the mitsvot go from being edifying and comforting to making deep changes in one's heart?
Thank you!
Internalize the gist of the mitvot, is my recommendation. As one chasidic master [Nachman of Braslav] once taught, one cannot approach haShem only with study but should do it with one's entire "emotion" [heart].