• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spirit and soul

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Spirit is breathe of god. Spirit is life. Energy of a person.
If god didnt breathe in spirit, what did he breathe into Adam?

I find at Genesis 2:7 that God breathed into Adam the ' breath of life ' into lifeless Adam.
Perhaps one could say the starting of the breathing process allows for life's spirit as long as there is breathing.
Even 'God's spirit ' as mentioned at Psalms 104:30 is showing His ' energy '.
To me that connects to God's 'power and strength' as mentioned at Isaiah 40:26.
So, God's spirit supplied the needed abundant dynamic energy to create the material/physical visible realm of creation.

David T

Premium Member
Does alcohol age a person? If so how long would George Burns have lived without it?
Soles_Feet3.jpg
spirits.jpg

Oddly, I'd think the difference is pretty obvious.
Damn you beat me to the punch. Ok so keeping it in the intellectual level of RF: is soul train only for african Americans? Are they the only ones who have soul? And my PopeAdope, where is the soul train station and what's its destination?
Soul-Train.jpg

"People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me"
Soren kierkegaard

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
spirit and soul. are they the same or are they different? what are they exactly?

If you go back to the original languages of the Bible you will see clearly why these two terms mean completely different things.

The Hebrew word for "soul" is neʹphesh and the Greek word is psy·kheʹ.

These two words occur well over 800 times in the Scriptures, and the New World Translation renders them “soul,” either in the main text or in footnotes. When you examine the way “soul” or “souls” is used in the Bible, it becomes evident that this word basically refers to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has.
Psalm 104:29 states: “If you [Jehovah] take away their spirit [ruʹach], they die and return to the dust.”

The soul (person) cannot exist without the spirit and the spirit needs a body in give it life.

The word "psychiatry" is taken from the medical treatment of the mind. The mind requires an active brain to function. A person has to be alive for their brain to function...it is the first organ to die without oxygen. (supplied by breathing)

A "soul" is never referred to as something disembodied....it is a living breathing creature, hence when God started Adam breathing, he "became" a soul" and lived as a soul as long as breath was in him.

With the Greek word pneuʹma, is translated “spirit.”....the Scriptures themselves indicate the meaning of that word. For instance, And James 2:26 notes that “the body without spirit [pneuʹma] is dead.”

In English we have the words "pneumonia" or "pneumatic" which conveys the meaning of this word as it pertains to air or breath.

There is no immortal soul taught in scripture, so once you come to terms with that, it is easy to see why people are confused. The words do not mean what most people have been taught to believe.

Reactions: syo

Grandliseur

spirit and soul. are they the same or are they different? what are they exactly?
It depends entirely upon who you ask. I base my beliefs on the Bible according to Sola Scriptura.

In this, the soul is the entire person in one of the definitions, and in another slightly different one, when it is said that the soul leaves the body - it refers to the life of the person, not to some other type of entity.

The spirit is the data about the person, all about that person, including how much hair you have, your memories, everything that God needs to resurrect that person again so as to be the same person though fixed of age and illnesses.. There is perhaps more to it than this, but this is as much as can be said by a Biblical definition.

Scott C.

Just one guy

While at times I use the terms interchangeably, there is a difference. I believe we have a spirit and we have a physical body. The body and spirit together are the soul. When God created Adam and Eve, he created the physical bodies and then gave them the breath of life (or put their spirits in the body) and they became "a living soul". When we die, the spirit leaves the body and continues to live. In the resurrection, the body and spirit are reunited and we are once again living souls.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
I find that according to Genesis 2:7 that created Adam was material/physical.
Adam did Not come to life until God breathed the breath of life into lifeless Adam.
Agreed, Adam pbuh was created from dust, was lifeless until GOD breathed a Soul/Spirit into him.

Adam then became a living soul or a living person. At death Adam returned back to dust as per Genesis 3:19.
Agreed

The dead have No spirit of life because a resurrection is necessary to have life, be lively, again.
Islam teaches the Soul/Spirit is returned to the body in the grave and has limited awareness of the living World; footsteps of relatives approaching the grave to pay their respects.

If the dead would be more alive at death, there would be No need for a resurrection for the living.
The resurrection makes the body 'fully' aware and alive. Ready for the ultimate Judgement.

To me that is why Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.....
That future resurrection for the still unconscious dead ( Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14 ) will take place during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth.
Islam teaches, Jesus pbuh returns to rule for some short time before he dies a natural death. Life goes on, 1,000,1500, 20,000 years etc before the World ends and Judgement Day dawns on us.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Agreed, Adam pbuh was created from dust, was lifeless until GOD breathed a Soul/Spirit into him.
Islam teaches the Soul/Spirit is returned to the body in the grave and has limited awareness of the living World; footsteps of relatives approaching the grave to pay their respects.
The resurrection makes the body 'fully' aware and alive. Ready for the ultimate Judgement.
Islam teaches, Jesus pbuh returns to rule for some short time before he dies a natural death. Life goes on, 1,000,1500, 20,000 years etc before the World ends and Judgement Day dawns on us.

My understanding of Genesis 2:7 is that Adam did ' Not have a soul ', Adam did ' Not posses a soul ', but that Adam was a soul. Was a living and breathing soul or person.

Since Jesus taught No awareness of the living world in the grave but unconscious sleep at John 11:11-14 then to me the dead sleep in death until they are resurrected. (resurrected to either life in heaven or physical life on earth),
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach the dead know nothing as per Ecclesiastes 9:5, nothing but sleep as per Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3: Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4.
Even the prophet Daniel looked forward to the future time he would be awakened from death's sleep - Daniel 12:2,13.

I view Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth day as a 'millennium-long judgement day'.
Adverse judgement for those who choose wickedness, and a favorable judgement for those who choose righteousness.
No world's end (No end of Earth) because 'Earth abides forever' as per Ecclesiastes 1:4 B.
But definitely there will be an end to the wicked on Earth as per Psalms 92:7; Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6.

I also believe there is a coming Judgement day (more than a 24-hour day) for the people who are alive on Earth at the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37. The figurative humble 'sheep'-like people receive a favorable judgement as being counted as righteous ones. They can remain alive on Earth, and continue to live on Earth right into the start of calendar Day One of Jesus' coming millennial reign over Earth when even enemy death will be No more on Earth according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26 and Isaiah 25:8.
Thus, at that millennial time Earth will become a beautiful paradisical Earth as described at Isaiah 35.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
While at times I use the terms interchangeably, there is a difference. I believe we have a spirit and we have a physical body. The body and spirit together are the soul. When God created Adam and Eve, he created the physical bodies and then gave them the breath of life (or put their spirits in the body) and they became "a living soul". When we die, the spirit leaves the body and continues to live. In the resurrection, the body and spirit are reunited and we are once again living souls.

I too think the body and spirit together make up the living soul or person.
As a burned out light bulb ' goes out ' it does Not move or go anywhere, so does one's spirit ' goes out '.
It returns to God in the sense that any future resurrection rests in God's safe hands.
As a foreclosed house does Not move anywhere but simply returns to the owner.
Our spirit of life ' returns ' to God in that any future life's prospects are in God's hands or in His book of life.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
to me the spirit would be the immaterial life essence of a person, and the soul is the body itself.

I am of the belief that before the physical became there was an , as of yet, undetectable essence that is something totally else than physical/material. so when I looked into non locality in QM, I perceived that their might be immaterial self existing information out there; no worm holes, but something very much like spirit. That to me is a possibility.

Reactions: syo

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
@URAVIP2ME This is my thought-line when it comes to scripture.

I agree that we do Not exist without life's spirit.
Just as a foreclosed house does Not move anywhere but simply ' returns ' to the owner's hands, so at one's death our ' spirit ' returns to God in that any future life prospect now lies in God's hands as written down, so to speak, in God's Book of Life.
In the resurrection (Acts 24:15) one's spirit of life will be ' returned ' to him at that time frame.

Last edited:

Scott C.

Just one guy
I too think the body and spirit together make up the living soul or person.
As a burned out light bulb ' goes out ' it does Not move or go anywhere, so does one's spirit ' goes out '.
It returns to God in the sense that any future resurrection rests in God's safe hands.
As a foreclosed house does Not move anywhere but simply returns to the owner.
Our spirit of life ' returns ' to God in that any future life's prospects are in God's hands or in His book of life.

Sounds like Jehovah's Witness doctrine. Right?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
to me the spirit would be the immaterial life essence of a person, and the soul is the body itself.
I am of the belief that before the physical became there was an , as of yet, undetectable essence that is something totally else than physical/material. so when I looked into non locality in QM, I perceived that their might be immaterial self existing information out there; no worm holes, but something very much like spirit. That to me is a possibility.

What I have found that at Psalms 104:30 that it talks of God's spirit, so to me God's spirit is His immaterial essence, so to speak. To me that undetectable essence is totally else than physical/material. When God breathed the breath of life into lifeless Adam, then Adam had that ' spark of life ' the ' spirit of life ' transmitted from God's breath to Adam.
At his death all of Adam ceased to exist because that ' spirit ' returned to God in the sense that a foreclosed house ' returns ' to the owner. The house does Not go anywhere or move anywhere but the owner in now in possession of it.

dfnj

Soul and Spirit are merely words. They are representations of something. Words are not the reality they represent so in some ways all words are just delusions. Representations are never perfectly complete and perfectly accurate in what they are representing. To be a perfect representation the word would have to Be the very thing they are representing which is not possible and a limitation of human language.

But even so here's a go at it based on what I've read in the thread and my twisted view of the Universe. Soul is unit of measure for how the Universe experiences itself having implications with the afterlife. Spirit is why the laws of physics occur in nature and the motivation behind electrons moving at all as opposed to motionless energy. Spirit is the deciding force in choosing the probabilistic outcomes at the quantum level.

If you want a really interesting insight into the nature of Spirit consider this video discussing the end Materalism and a complete discounting of the idea of a clockwork Universe:

I've always considered myself a man of science and even with my positive outlook I find the results of these latest experiments in quantum mechanics to be somewhat unexpectedly disturbing in that the Universe is organized this way. It certainly does not appear to follow the "matrix" like computer simulation model everyone is so fond of nowadays. But people will just ignore any narrative that does not confirm their own existing bigotry and prejudice for the most part.

One more thing on Soul and Spirit. Since these are words, and therefore, most likely just delusions about reality, I would like to add the idea of "soul" living after death is just Ego delusion. None of us owns what it means to have sex or be a human being. Who we are as human beings is shared by everyone who is alive. I would say it is pure Ego delusion to think we own some piece or have some unique quality in our human beingness that is not equally expressed in billions of people.

The implications of this idea has two parts. When we die, our individual memories may be lost from conscious expression. But who we are as a human being lives on in everyone else who is still alive. So once your Ego delusion dies you are reborn into everlasting life as long as the human race continues to run the race. Many people may not like this idea because the desire to cling to one's own uniqueness is very strong. But again, to reiterate, people who don't like this idea did not invent sex. Why would they think they invented anything else that is "unique" about their own character?