• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spin the Wheel

Audie

Veteran Member
Could it be confirmation bias that you were referring to?

Kind of but this is kind of a weird statement-

They can be verified quite easily. All the major religions I believe originated from the same Source

It appears to say that believing something is
what verifies it.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Kind of but this is kind of a weird statement-

They can be verified quite easily. All the major religions I believe originated from the same Source

It appears to say that believing something is
what verifies it.
It does appear to say something like that, though it could be read as the major religions springing from the same origin, I suppose.

Still, the circular argument you propose as a definition is not an uncommon means of sustaining belief and I see it used by many on here whether they realize it or not.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
7 billion religions or 7 billion gods? o_O
Religions ... every person, generally, when you boil it down, has a slightly different perspective than the next person. But that's nitpicking. So it depends on how you want to classify religions.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
There are many religious systems that exist on this planet. How does anyone actually know which one could be the correct one, when none of them can actually verify what they claim as truth factually?
Well, personally I would recommend the Book of Mormon, and I've read from many religions.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why assume there has to be a correct one?

Because they can't all be right, considering many of them, if not all of them, are mutually exclusive.

In that sense, at best one can be correct.
They can all be wrong though.

Perhaps God created 1000 or more different religions just so folks can find something that aligns with how they are wired, or the circumstances they were born into.

Or perhaps God created the entire universe and everything it contains only 5 seconds ago with all of us having (false) memories of having lived our entire lives on a planet with a fake history.

I can make up such unfalsifiable what-if's too....

He didn't create one flower, he created thousands.

No, flowers evolved through the natural process of evolution.
No gods or bio-pixies required.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If this thread goes the way of asserting that truth is what we can observe, I'd point out that a person can observe some poisonous mushrooms as harmless in nature given their closeness in appearance, yet we all know the result of eating one.

And that would be an observation too...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I think it is a question of, who would you be willing to keep as your God. And all people have something as their god, even if they don’t admit it. What people keep as their god can be seen by what they serve with their actions. Those who lie, serve the father of lies, and those who love, serve God who is love.

How about when I masturbate? Am I then serving "the god of masturbation"? :rolleyes:

Bible God says, love your neighbor as yourself. I think that is good and I want to do so.

I think that is far to vague and to general.
I can easily imagine circumstances where such would not be the way to go. Or where it simply could not be the way to go.

Starting with my own neighbour, who's literally the most arrogant douche I've ever met.
No, I don't "love" that guy. Not as I love myself and not even as I love nasty mosquito's.

Not that I want him dead. Not that I "hate" him. But I wouldn't mind him moving to the other side of the world, just to know that I couldn't possibly be further away from him then that. :)

I also don't love my enemies. I think loving your enemies is a pretty stupid thing to do.
I don't love nazi's. I don't love islamist terrorists. I don't love communists. I don't love Kim Jong Un.

Do you love these people? If yes, then I find that quite disturbing.

I think Bible God is the greatest.

Off course you do.... it's actually a religious requirement for you to think / believe that, isn't it?

He has the knowledge and wisdom, also about the future. I think all else are basically meaningless, without any meaningful to say. To keep someone else as my god, would be same as keeping your left foot shoe as my god, in my opinion. It may exist, but I think it would not be worth to be kept as my god. There are really no other reasonable options besides the Bible God. That is why I think the question about correct religion is quite simple.

Spoken like a true bible believer who's unable to put on some other shoes once in a while, even if only as a thought experiment.

the rodent

How about when I masturbate? Am I then serving "the god of masturbation"? :rolleyes:

I think that is far to vague and to general.
I can easily imagine circumstances where such would not be the way to go. Or where it simply could not be the way to go.

Starting with my own neighbour, who's literally the most arrogant douche I've ever met.
No, I don't "love" that guy. Not as I love myself and not even as I love nasty mosquito's.

Not that I want him dead. Not that I "hate" him. But I wouldn't mind him moving to the other side of the world, just to know that I couldn't possibly be further away from him then that. :)

I also don't love my enemies. I think loving your enemies is a pretty stupid thing to do.
I don't love nazi's. I don't love islamist terrorists. I don't love communists. I don't love Kim Jong Un.

Do you love these people? If yes, then I find that quite disturbing.

Off course you do.... it's actually a religious requirement for you to think / believe that, isn't it?

Spoken like a true bible believer who's unable to put on some other shoes once in a while, even if only as a thought experiment.

I was wondering, since you go by the name "atheist", what that actually means. Do you consider yourself to be a god ? I ask this because you make your own self-perceived authoritative judgements. So, who do you have to look to but yourself ? God set the stars in their positions and in the older days before mankind set their own satellites in the sky, they referenced those positions that didn't change to navigate the oceans. So how do you navigate, when by definition of your name "atheist", there is nothing beyond you ?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I was wondering, since you go by the name "atheist", what that actually means.

What what actually means?

Do you consider yourself to be a god ?

I believe myself to be a human. Which is a biological creature who's ancestors evolved on this planet from common ancestors with the other living things.

I don't believe in gods.

I ask this because you make your own self-perceived authoritative judgements.

I have no other choice. I can't "borrow" the brain computing power of another human to run my arguments through. That is, if I understand what you are saying.
If what you're saying is not that I'm doing my own thinking, then I don't know what you are saying.

So, who do you have to look to but yourself ?

In what context?
I can look to many people in my life (for support, for love, for consoling if needed, etc): family and friends.

God set the stars in their positions

Stars are where they are because of things like gravitational forces.

and in the older days before mankind set their own satellites in the sky, they referenced those positions that didn't change to navigate the oceans.

Except that they do change (over time) since the universe isn't static and the position of the earth relative to the visible stars in the night sky is not fixed at all. "fixed" as in "constant". Math allows you to calculate the position of stars relative to the earth on any given date, but the only reason we can do that is because things like gravity are deterministic.

In any case: if you look to the night sky, the stars and constellations you see are in different positions then they were on the same night 5000 years ago.

So how do you navigate

I use a GPS.

, when by definition of your name "atheist", there is nothing beyond you ?

Why would I need anything "beyond me" to navigate?
What does "beyond me" even mean in that context?

And how does anyting in this post tie back to the points I raised in the post you are replying to?

the rodent

I was hoping my questions would give you some room for thought.

You said in your response that you are a human and described that as a human evolving. So, at what point do you come of age and become a human being ?

These people that claim to evolve do so at the expense of all the generations before them, and declare themselves superior. But if you claim to evolve, the other side of that is devolving, which is what you are open too with that belief.