• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spin offs

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There are so many spinoffs of Judaism.

Christianity was the first, changing the teaching of obedience to the law to one of belief, and making a man into God (at least the orthodox version).

Then Islam came, a spin off of a spin off.

Most recently we have Baha'i, a spin off of a spin off of a spin off.

All of them change the original message.

Why should I take all these spin offs seriously when I have the original? Which would you rather have: a copy of a Van Gogh, or the original?
If you feel that way, that you have the original, then I would be the last to suggest to you to "take all these spin offs seriously"

stvdv

Christianity was the first, changing the teaching of obedience to the law to one of belief, and making a man into God (at least the orthodox version).

Why should I take all these spin offs seriously when I have the original? Which would you rather have: a copy of a Van Gogh, or the original?

It feels belittling to me ... this "spin off" + "spin off of spin off" + finally "spin off of spin off of spin off" ... of the original, being Judaism

IMHO this "belittling habit" is a spin off of the TRUTH

Last edited:

stvdv

I rather have the ORIGINAL, being "God's painting", not "Van Gogh" (even though he was Dutch, like I am)

Last edited:

stvdv

Why should I take all these spin offs seriously when I have the original?

Which degree would you rather have: elementary school or University?

exchemist

Veteran Member

Would it be better to live in a world in which physics understood just Newtonian mechanics, or one in which quantum theory and relativity had been developed?

I say this a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I don't mean to disparage Judaism as more primitive, but just to point out that your chosen analogy is a bit tendentious. ;)

PruePhillip

THE major "spin off" of obeying the law of Moses and Jesus' commandments is salvation.
No other spinoff was intended other than people living decent and happy lives.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

The original message is in dispute though. A copy of a Van Gogh wouldn't have a different message from the original.

Aren't all your non-Tanakh Jewish texts a spin off of the original?

lukethethird

unknown member

It has been suggested that Christianity was created to solve a problem that was created by Judaism. Due to original sin God can be harsh come judgement day, Paul had his followers believe that getting right with God's son, Jesus, will give us a pass by looking favorably in God's eyes. In this way Jesus is a redeemer of mankind and that's Christianity in a nutshell.

I have a similar frame of mind. Each faith declared it has the direct and perfect word from God! How dare anyone have the nerve to alter the perfect word of God later on! Any accepted change would negate the original religion by default.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Christianity is not a spin off from Judaism. A lot of Christianity is nothing like Judaism. In fact, the New Testament in many ways is totally different from the Old Testament - 'turn the cheek' and 'an eye for an eye' - diametrically opposite!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Should I have the promise of a New Covenant, as Jeremiah gave, or the New Covenant itself?

Should I wonder at the Queen of Sheba's visit to hear Solomon's wisdom, when one greater than Solomon longs to speak to me?

Should I wait for David's Messiah to be born or should I acknowledge that He died and rose?

Should I say Christianity is a copy, like a forged painting, or a word that means "Follow the Jewish Messiah!"?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Why should I take all these spin offs seriously
I think that if you have taken some time to learn a little about somebody's religion and about them, then they should appreciate it. Its nice to have tourists as long as they don't start bossing you about.

when I have the original?
When religion-tourists are aggressive I admire sunrise's approach which is to say a lot of academic things that other people can't understand without cracking several books. @sun rise Its like humid heat. You find out quickly if this tourist truly is interested in staying around.

Which would you rather have: a copy of a Van Gogh, or the original?
Orthodoxy is theoretically like a melting point of gold at a particular temperature & pressure, unchanging. Its difficult to compare orthodox religion to Van Gogh. The value of Van Gogh is that he improves the state of art, but there are better painters after him.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
There are orthodox Jews, reform Jews, conservative, lubovitcher Jews. All with different ideas. So what's the original?
My vote?

Gen 9:5.

Anything that deviates from it, is a spin-off.

Another good example: The Akeda. What it really means. That's original. The rest that don't adhere to it, are spin-offs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You know what? You have me convinced.

In this spirit, I'm going to get rid of my modern bike - with its aluminum frame, disc brakes, and front suspension - and replace it with a 19th-century, wrought iron "boneshaker" bicycle that's barely rideable.

... because clearly, two centuries of change couldn't have produced anything positive. I'm much better to go with the original.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, there is. Especially because you say you are not a polytheist. And people worship various gods. Have a good night.

True people worship many different Gods and many different versions with no objective verifiable evidence to determine which is true.

VoidoftheSun

Necessary Heretical, Fundamentally Orthodox
You know what? You have me convinced.

In this spirit, I'm going to get rid of my modern bike - with its aluminum frame, disc brakes, and front suspension - and replace it with a 19th-century, wrought iron "boneshaker" bicycle that's barely rideable.

... because clearly, two centuries of change couldn't have produced anything positive. I'm much better to go with the original.

Why a bike though when you could have a chariot which is way older? :D:D

iu