• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiders trigger smoke alarms

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Is your smoke alarm going off even though there's no smoke or fire to trigger it? ... Oregon and Washington spider control experts share that the light within smoke detectors may attract spiders. When a spider crawls over the ionization sensor, the alarm thinks it senses smoke and sounds the alarm. This unusual occurrence is getting worse, happening around the country, and sometimes at the most inconvenience times of the night, causing people nightmares and pure horror.

Spiders are the most feared creature in the world, so many people are very hesitant to check out their smoke detector now for fear of finding eight legged, eight eyed, hairy creeps with fangs and venom.
Signs of a spider problem | Western Exterminator

Since spiders are drawn to detectors, there could be multiple of them. Or a mother giving birth is something not to unlikely, because they lay hundreds of eggs and the smoke detector draws them like a magnet. Hence, it would be an ideal place for a pregnant mother to create a nest.

Anyhow, there was a creepy noisy smoke
alarm today that went off.

Everybody had to exit the building. None of the staff or anyone had a clue what the cause was.

I'd bet it was precisely what my gut says it was.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
giphy.gif

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Is your smoke alarm going off even though there's no smoke or fire to trigger it? ... Oregon and Washington spider control experts share that the light within smoke detectors may attract spiders. When a spider crawls over the ionization sensor, the alarm thinks it senses smoke and sounds the alarm. This unusual occurrence is getting worse, happening around the country, and sometimes at the most inconvenience times of the night, causing people nightmares and pure horror.

Spiders are the most feared creature in the world, so many people are very hesitant to check out their smoke detector now for fear of finding eight legged, eight eyed, hairy creeps with fangs and venom.
Signs of a spider problem | Western Exterminator

Since spiders are drawn to detectors, there could be multiple of them. Or a mother giving birth is something not to unlikely, because they lay hundreds of eggs and the smoke detector draws them like a magnet. Hence, it would be an ideal place for a pregnant mother to create a nest.

Anyhow, there was a creepy noisy smoke
alarm today that went off.

Everybody had to exit the building. None of the staff or anyone had a clue what the cause was.

I'd bet it was precisely what my gut says it was.

Actually, most smoke alarms are photoelectric, not ionization. Spiders, or anything small enough to get through the screen surrounding the "eye" can set the alarm off. Dust is another bad actor around smoke detectors; plus dust can accumulate and block the beam. The detectors should be sprayed out with canned air (not compressed air which contains moisture) at least annually. BTW, day cares are notorious for getting dust filled. It seems about 90% of the kids in day care could be Charlie Brown's friend 'Pigpen'. The above knowledge comes from 30 years of installing smoke alarms professionally.

Our burglar alarm was set off by spiders

Spiders tend to crawl across the lenses of PIR motion detectors. Most motion detectors today are 'pet immune', they block out anything under 40 pounds. But is a warm body gets within 3 feet of the unit, it can set it off. A few years back we were having a huge problem a lady bug invasion. The bugs would 'ball up' in front of the motion detectors enough to set them off.

PureX

Veteran Member
Mine goes off occasionally because of steam from my shower. It's very annoying.