• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speculation on the Trinity

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Much has been written on this topic and yet so little understood.
What follows is my own revelation, mystical, Gnostic, certainly individualist
and transcendental, it forms two parts that unify in concept as a conclusion.

The first part of this speculation is analytical:
We know that the Son is Jesus, and represents God as personified in Man,
and our direct relationship to a personal Deity as Humans.
We also know that the Father is omni-everything and represents God in all things.
Of course we have already directly identified Jesus as the human aspect,
so in this sense, the Father consisting of everything could be considered to include
Jesus in ontological terms, but in everyday usage that would be superfluous.
So the Father is commonly considered to exclude this aspect for purely semantic
reasons - but not for purely existential reasons. The Father is Universal, Jesus is personal.
So the Holy ghost, by the same token is certainly a subset of the Father existentially,
but for purposes of discussion would consist of everything that is not Universal or Personal.
So by default how do we conceptualize the remainder less the other two concepts?
Well the Holy ghost is thus: Mystery. It is everything that is not Cosmology or Psychology,
and thus it is Philosophy unknown. Once we unravel the unknown it becomes either the subset
of Cosmology or Psychology, but whilst in the process of becoming known (and before that),
it falls into the conceptual category of Mysticism.

The second part of this speculation is synthetic:
If we take the idea that Truth is transcendental to all languages, philosophies and religions,
then we need to carefully consider the role that the Jungian Archetypes take in translating
ideas from one narrative to the next. There is a striking similarity between the Christian
Ideology and the ancient Greek, in that the Christian Trinity is mirrored by the triad
of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. Albeit with metaphorical family relations inexact.
The Father is certainly Zeus, and Hades represents the Ghost. So how does Poseidon
compare with Jesus? Extraordinarily closely actually. All the elemental symbolism of Jesus
is water. He walks on water, he is a fisher of men, he turns water to wine, he calms the storms,
and at the crucifixion out of his side flows blood - and water. He is the age of Pisces, the fish is
his symbol. The water motif is everywhere, so blatant it is astonishing. Even the number 777
is said by Plato to be inscribed on the walls of Atlantis.

The conclusion:
It is not just that Jung conceived that water always represents the subconscious mind, and
that the trident is the symbol of psi, but we need to bring this back to the drier more
analytical speculation in the first part. The mystery of death and the unknown of ghostliness
and the afterlife is the default remaining when we conceptually subtract away Jesus and God -
and it is this that rankles us most. It is the doubt, even the evil of the Ghost that terrifies
us in the same way that Hades does. But after all, it is all One. One part of this trinity within
trinities. We only enter Elysium by passing through and beyond Hades.

But this does not mean that these are just ideas and words devoid of substance. Because the Personal
aspect of God - Jesus - is a real spirit, more real than you or I; and it was a deep irony that only
after I realized the Archetypal resonance with Poseidon, that He decided to pay this pagan two personal
visits, and show himself to me in all his humble splendor - only after this - that I began to glimpse
the Universe and its multi-faceted paradoxes. Only then did the mysteries start to form concrete
Astrophysics - and less concrete Spirituality, and the true mysteries of Metaphysics began to
mesmerize me in ways poetical, mathematical, and Creatively computational.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think you touched on it. Christianity added some pagan concepts to the Hebrew belief.

Not saying it's necessarily wrong to do so, Just the Hebrew would deny any such Trinity.

The Hebrew had no demigods. Christianity added them in under other names/concepts like the Trinity.

David T

Premium Member
The Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Much has been written on this topic and yet so little understood.
What follows is my own revelation, mystical, Gnostic, certainly individualist
and transcendental, it forms two parts that unify in concept as a conclusion.

The first part of this speculation is analytical:
We know that the Son is Jesus, and represents God as personified in Man,
and our direct relationship to a personal Deity as Humans.
We also know that the Father is omni-everything and represents God in all things.
Of course we have already directly identified Jesus as the human aspect,
so in this sense, the Father consisting of everything could be considered to include
Jesus in ontological terms, but in everyday usage that would be superfluous.
So the Father is commonly considered to exclude this aspect for purely semantic
reasons - but not for purely existential reasons. The Father is Universal, Jesus is personal.
So the Holy ghost, by the same token is certainly a subset of the Father existentially,
but for purposes of discussion would consist of everything that is not Universal or Personal.
So by default how do we conceptualize the remainder less the other two concepts?
Well the Holy ghost is thus: Mystery. It is everything that is not Cosmology or Psychology,
and thus it is Philosophy unknown. Once we unravel the unknown it becomes either the subset
of Cosmology or Psychology, but whilst in the process of becoming known (and before that),
it falls into the conceptual category of Mysticism.

The second part of this speculation is synthetic:
If we take the idea that Truth is transcendental to all languages, philosophies and religions,
then we need to carefully consider the role that the Jungian Archetypes take in translating
ideas from one narrative to the next. There is a striking similarity between the Christian
Ideology and the ancient Greek, in that the Christian Trinity is mirrored by the triad
of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. Albeit with metaphorical family relations inexact.
The Father is certainly Zeus, and Hades represents the Ghost. So how does Poseidon
compare with Jesus? Extraordinarily closely actually. All the elemental symbolism of Jesus
is water. He walks on water, he is a fisher of men, he turns water to wine, he calms the storms,
and at the crucifixion out of his side flows blood - and water. He is the age of Pisces, the fish is
his symbol. The water motif is everywhere, so blatant it is astonishing. Even the number 777
is said by Plato to be inscribed on the walls of Atlantis.

The conclusion:
It is not just that Jung conceived that water always represents the subconscious mind, and
that the trident is the symbol of psi, but we need to bring this back to the drier more
analytical speculation in the first part. The mystery of death and the unknown of ghostliness
and the afterlife is the default remaining when we conceptually subtract away Jesus and God -
and it is this that rankles us most. It is the doubt, even the evil of the Ghost that terrifies
us in the same way that Hades does. But after all, it is all One. One part of this trinity within
trinities. We only enter Elysium by passing through and beyond Hades.

But this does not mean that these are just ideas and words devoid of substance. Because the Personal
aspect of God - Jesus - is a real spirit, more real than you or I; and it was a deep irony that only
after I realized the Archetypal resonance with Poseidon, that He decided to pay this pagan two personal
visits, and show himself to me in all his humble splendor - only after this - that I began to glimpse
the Universe and its multi-faceted paradoxes. Only then did the mysteries start to form concrete
Astrophysics - and less concrete Spirituality, and the true mysteries of Metaphysics began to
mesmerize me in ways poetical, mathematical, and Creatively computational.
Well Its at least thought out. I think anymore, we have way to many metaphysics explanations. and really not enough nature expressions.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.
Norman Maclean "a river runs through it"

Now I understand your need to explain but it just is one more amongst many. Now the above by Norman that's special a much much rarer application of that magic to our experiences. That little quote is some magic. Now you write that I am all eyes and ears. But that's hard work.