1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Spectrum of theistic probability

Discussion in 'Theism' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Jan 7, 2019.

1. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,881
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Thank you to the eagle-eyed @Windwalker alerting me to my faux pas.
    Obviously, I made the incorrect choice and had intended to choose, 7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

2. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,527
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Unless a "God" is defined to be something logically contradictory, like a married bachelor, your position of certainty about the non-existence of God is inherently irrational to hold.

• Like Like x 1
  3. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,881
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    That you for that exceedingly insightful observation, Captain Obvious. :)

4. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,527
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Well, you said that you were certain God doesn't exist. Unless the definition of God is logically incoherent, we can't be certain God doesn't exist. Of course, we can be certain an omnipotent being doesn't exist (omnipotence paradox). But a sufficiently powerful being worthy of being called a "god" could exist without any logical paradoxes arising.

5. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,144
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Irrational in the sense that there's always some uncertainty in induction, or uncertainty from something else?

I mean, is your objection akin to "you can't know that there isn't an underground gnome metropolis under your backyard, because you can't rule out that it's just a bit deeper than the pit you dug" or is it more that you think there's real merit to one or more god-claims that you think is being overlooked?

6. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Gods are benevolent and/or all powerful. Existence is far from benevolent. And life is created haphazardly, and totally inferiorly made without regards to morality too.

7. GoodbyeDave

GoodbyeDave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    And what proof have you got for that insight? You are picking a definition of a god that enables you to reject them!

8. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Are you suggesting that gods are not all powerful?

What kind of god is it that forces us to eat creatures to survive?

What is your definition of a god then?

9. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,682
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    I was going to say, perhaps you have taken my use of God too far and become a theist now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +3,563
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    Well my comment regarding the "shutting up" aspect is more of being irritable. I hold the same contempt with theist who are incessantly trying to prove they're right. Furthermore, my position comes from the fact that belief in God whether one can find tangible evidence (or not) is an individual experience that one makes in their life that they believe is distinct from delusion. To the non-believer it is delusion, to the believer it isn't. In addition, what I'm saying ultimately is that any probably of an intelligent incorporeal entity's existence that has not been proven scientifically (of course outside present doctrinal revelation) cannot accurately discussed as whether probable or improbable. I mean, is it probable that there are aliens with the heads of roosters and the body of a lion elsewhere in the universe? Probable, but these things I rather leave alone and just live life.

That is what I'm saying. If in fact an after life exist and if in fact doctrinal revelation is true, we'll get our answer if not and the atheist is right, we'll still get our answer. These things I try to not think about.

11. syo

syo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,086
    Religion:
    pagan, omnist
    THIS!