• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special Trees

Viker

Häxan
I'd like to see some photos, then maybe I would not feel so bad about the tree takeover of our property, not to mention the raccoon, squirrel and bird takeover. :eek:

The irony is that back in winter 2012 we had a big ice storm and we lost several tall evergreens along our fence-line, and I was looking to replace them so I would not be able to see the neighbor house through the fence, but now I cannot see anything!
I like not being able to see anything but trees and fauna. It makes for a great get away from the hustle of the city.

Bear Wild

I do not have to plant any trees because they just grow unsolicited. Most people would probably be frightened if they knew what this property looked like 12 years ago when we moved here compared to what it looks like now. I am frightened because I do not know what it will look like next year, since I never cut trees down or even trim them. That is not even to mention the bushes and grass!

A long while back we used to have a view of the lake below, but not anymore. In winter we can see some of it through the trees, but as soon as spring comes we cannot see anything but trees. We have a wildlife refuge on our property -- birds, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, and possums. That is one reason I cannot cut the trees down, they provide habitat. So much for my lake view, but animals rule around here.

Squirrels have planted a few of our new oak trees.

RestlessSoul

Weeping willows are somewhat mystical... always wanted to have one, but don't have the yard for it.

Often associated with death and rebirth in Japanese Haiku. The willow waits for us on the far bank of the river of life.

Bitter winds of winter-
but later, river willow,
open up your buds.

The jisei - death poem - of poet and critic Senryu.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Often associated with death and rebirth in Japanese Haiku. The willow waits for us on the far bank of the river of life.
Trees have always had a special significance in scriptures -- Tree of Life, Tree of knowledge of good and evil, and in the Baha'i Faith the Tree of Revelation.

Baha’u’llah wrote that Tree of Revelation is the Manifestation of God that comes in every age. It has been referred to the Sadratu’l-Muntahá, the “Tree beyond which there is no passing.”

Baha'is believe that the Manifestations of God such as Jesus and Baha'u'llah (and others) stand on the All-Highest Throne, the Habitation of everlasting might and glory. We cannot pass beyond Them and get to God without Them. We need to go through them to know anything about God or have any relationship with God.

“The “sacred Lote-Tree” is a reference to the Sadratu’l-Muntahá, the “Tree beyond which there is no passing” (see note 128). It is used here symbolically to designate Bahá’u’lláh.” The Kitáb-i-Aqdas. p. 236

“Give ear unto the verses of God which He Who is the sacred Lote-Tree reciteth unto you. They are assuredly the infallible balance, established by God, the Lord of this world and the next. Through them the soul of man is caused to wing its flight towards the Dayspring of Revelation, and the heart of every true believer is suffused with light. Such are the laws which God hath enjoined upon you, such His commandments prescribed unto you in His Holy Tablet; obey them with joy and gladness, for this is best for you, did ye but know.” The Kitáb-i-Aqdas. p. 73

pearl

Do you have any special tree friends, living or non living?

I have a 175 yr old maple, one of the very few left that marked a walking path before any on the houses or streets existed. It shades my entire back yard. Its on the edge of the property and some of the branches have reached the back of the house, I'll have to trim a little or I'll be living in a tree house. Neighbors on both sides have cut down all their trees, including a black walnut tree close to my property line, but I really don't miss it as the nuts bounced off their garage with tin roof, sounded like golf balls, and raised hell with the lawnmower. The way I look at it my maple tree isn't really mine, I'm 'renting' the shade while I'm here. and it provided the kids with a place to swing and climb not to mention all birds and squirrels it shelters, and the breathtaking fall colors.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
There was a giant pine tree in the woods where I grew up that I would climb and once built a treehouse. It had a nice little nook at the base perfect for leaning against and reading.

When I went off to college my folks had someone selectively cut the forest, and that pine was taken. I was depressed for weeks and still miss the tree.